nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more

on March 26, 2013
The Tiger Woods PGA Tour series has been solid if unspectacular this generation carrying with it somewhat limited appeal. Hampered by a heavy reliance on downloadable content the justification to purchase yearly has waned considerably.

That won't necessarily change with Tiger Woods 14. People who play yearly may not find as much value as novices. However for those who have skipped recent versions or who would be new to the series it can be easily recommended.

While Tiger Woods 12 had the compelling draw of The Masters for the first time, and Tiger 13 attempted to create a new experience with the Legacy Challenge, it would take travelling many years farther in the past to find a golf game that captured my attention in the way that Tiger 14 has. Any assumption that a gimmicky element would be needed to create interest has been proven wrong by a product that simply delivers realistic and satisfying gameplay as accompanied by a rich and involving feature set. Feel free to check out a few gameplay videos (Career, Legends of the Majors, Live Tournament) on the Pastapadre Youtube Channel.

One very successful element introduced in Tiger 14 is the "Swing Style" feature which gives each current golfer a more personalized feel along with the ability to craft a swing style when creating new golfers. Now each individual is classified in the following categories: Type (Power or Control), Shape (Draw or Fade), Trajectory (Low, Medium, or High), and Handedness (Left or Right). The tutorial helps in getting a feel for some of the differences and the selection screen explains the choices. They can be changed later if so desired. Draws and fades are manageable this year but it can still be difficult to nail that stick movement.

Legends of the Majors is the flashy new mode for this year. It involves playing through events from history within the confines of the time they took place. That means playing with the legends, old course designs, and equipment. The visual filter defines those time periods but feels out of place in a sense given the experience is otherwise all from the golfer's perspective.

Some of the challenges are fairly easy like re-creating a shot, while others take more work such as matching a performance over several holes or a round. Whether they are overly frustrating or just tough remains to be determined. There are 62 challenges overall and most are worthwhile but there are some that clearly could have been omitted. Why am I being asked to play in 1922 as Rory McIlroy against Keegan Bradley? Legends of the Majors is a decent distraction - and going through the history of the sport is a valuable journey - but it's not something that will hold much value outside of the initial play through.

The Live Tournaments online have been enhanced by adding more of the social element that had been lacking last year. There is of course still the traditional ways to play online but the Tournaments now offer the ability to see the shot arcs for up to an active 24 players on a hole and include group voice chat. I have no expectation of ever winning a public tournament, and that can still be discouraging in a sense, but setting them up with Clubs or friends makes for a fun experience regardless of performance level. Country Clubs have been expanded to 100 members and that too now features chat functionality.

Other additions of note are the LPGA tour, "Simulation" difficulty, and varied tee times that include night golf. Playing in nighttime conditions is more than just the darkness as the sound effects from the environment like the chirping birds are gone. It just has a new feel to it like playing on the historic courses provides in Legends of the Majors. EA probably should have taken sunglasses off golfers who wear them though when it turns dark out. I would not be the right person to assess the "Simulation" setting but from all other accounts it appears to provide the experience very talented players have been looking for.

Presentation would appear to be the weakness of Tiger 14. The commentary is bland, overly generic, and occasionally incorrect. The camera angles range from satisfactory to downright horrible. Quite often after taking a shot - particularly when putting - it immediately cuts to a camera angle that makes it impossible to actually tell what is happening. They may be meant to enhance the drama but all they do is remove oneself from the moment. The on-screen informational displays do well to communicate information with the leaderboard, scorecards, and Country Club stats but others seem pretty pointless - especially when the statistical leaders for a category are all the people who have yet to tee off.

Last year's method of being able to earn DLC courses through time spent playing has been removed due to heavy criticism and problems with the implementation on the PS3. Though not necessarily the wrong decision EA should have provided some alternate method that worked instead of falling back on the old way of doing things where the only way to obtain them is by spending significant chunks of money.

While the enjoyment being had with Tiger 14 may be partially attributed to having not invested much time with the series over the course of the generation - and particularly last year which just fell flat and was pushed aside quickly - it can't be discounted due to just that. The addictive nature of the gameplay and strong depth of content could be realized by many. Tiger 14′s additions and improvements have the merit to be appreciated by the both the hardcore and more casual crowds and that is a balance that has been tough to come by in the past.

***HISTORIC EDITION*** Includes six courses and a playable Bobby Jones not found in the standard version. For the $10 difference the value is there if the courses are important or would have been bought as downloadable content otherwise as the Historic Upgrade package is $20 through Xbox Live Marketplace/PlayStation Network Store.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 15, 2013
I've played Tiger Woods PGA Tour games on my Xbox for many years. There have been some ups and some downs (yeck...remember the caddie?) So I went into this not expecting to be impressed, given some of the things I've read about servers being down and game bugs galore. I can honestly say that, a month after the official release, I've experienced none of that.

Instead, I found a golf game that's quite possibly the best Tiger Woods PGA Tour game, ever! Yep, I really really like this game. It combines all the good parts of past TW PGA Tour games and none of the bad. You even get--count 'em--a generous serving of 25 golf courses included (in the Historic Edition)! Better still, unlike the last Masters edition I bought, if you don't have the course that's next on the tour, no problem. You're not forced to buy the course, you can simply substitute an existing one to your tournament.

Pin Packs, which are collectible pins that boost your stats for a round, are available at the Store, but you don't have to buy them if you don't want to, and you don't have to feel you're missing out on something if you don't. In fact, after I purchased a Pin Pack just to see what it was, I haven't bought any since. I don't need them to play. You can purchase Pin Packs with either MS points, or with game coins earned from playing.

Country Clubs are back. Start your own or join an existing one, reap the benefits of club bonuses with friends. Plus now, Night Golf! There's even an achievement called "Find the Werewolf"! (google this for a Youtube video)

I find the golf mechanics are pretty much perfect this time around, from the swing meter to the putting, although sometimes the camera on the putting surface is in the wrong position. There's a demo available on Xbox live so you can see for yourself. By far, the best feature of the Historic Edition is the ability to play against legends from the past. This is presented in scratchy sepia tone and is just so much fun to see the old courses, clothes and of course, golf clubs--cleeks, jiggers, and baffing spoons etc.

If you're an armchair golfer who has played past TW PGA Tour games and are on the fence with this one, give the demo a try. I did, then I came right back to Amazon to purchase it! Great golf game!
on July 7, 2013
I've had this game (the "historic" edition) for about three weeks, and my most recent version was TW 12 for Wii. There are plenty of good features about this game, and the graphics are far superior to the Wii (of course), but there are some gameplay issues that really keep this from being a "great" game.

1. As others have mentioned, you must still fork over money to purchase every available course. This is actually the least of my worries. I'll probably be happy with what the game gives me, but it's nice to have an option to add courses.

2. The Kinect feature is very much a mixed bag. Swinging my arms to simulate a shot is fun, but navigating the menus (both before and during the round) is a giant pain in the rear end with Kinect. Waving hands this way and that, especially when the smallest wave of the hand sends the pointer up or down three categories, has driven me back to the hand-held controller. Not only that, but several times when I began to swing, the Kinect thought I was changing my club or my aim, so it made the change, then swung my new club in the wrong direction. Nothing could be more aggravating in a video game. I haven't gotten over my anger enough yet to the point of using the controller to navigate, then swinging with Kinect. If I do, I'll report back. For now, I'm using my thumb to play.

3. I've been playing a lot of the "Legends" features, which I enjoy. What I don't enjoy is that when I'm in the modern times, playing a match, and I don't particularly like how it's going, I re-start that particular event. Unfortunately, the game often decides to reset my entire bag of clubs to the original default, and I [a] own some upgraded clubs that will hit farther, and [b] use a set make-up different from the default. This is nearly as aggravating as the Kinect issue, as I must now go back to the main menu, go to my golfer and change the clubs in the bag.

4. The game simply freezes up from time to time. Not much else I can say about it. Once or twice a day is the norm.

Overall, I like playing it, and the "Legends" features are really cool (and by the way, where in the world is Tom Watson?), but these are some really aggravating things that I could do without.
on February 4, 2015
Appears EA No Longer Supports TW 2014.
I have not been able to download of the online courses and the game shows EA servers as not available. I checked the EA forums and there are dozens of complaints about these errors and EA has not responded. The comments from other TW 2014 owners indicate that EA no longer supports the product and has cut the online access.

It appears EA ended their contract with Tiger.

Update 3/10/2015, I just checked the support forums and EA is not responding to issues with the game. If you buy this game, just be aware you will NOT get all the courses.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 31, 2013
This begins with EA's release of Tiger Woods 14: Historic Edition. I pre-ordered in February to get the free course when the game released in late March. This game is totally broken. On line play is impossible. It freezes every other game and there are no stats or coins awarded for wins. Playing the game's Historic Mode causes it to freeze after just one or two holes. It isn't just me. If you read EA's Tiger forum, you'll find everyone (PS3 and Xbox360) are experiencing the same problems. I finally called EA customer service. The first person I spoke with said EA was aware of the problem and when I asked for an RMA to return the game for a full refund, was transferred to the proper department. The next person I spoke with asked where I bought it. I told them Amazon and they said since I didn't buy from them, they couldn't do anything. BUT: If I could get Amazon to let me return the game in exchange for an unopened new game still in plastic wrap, I could call back, get an RMA and return it for a refund.

I then called Amazon and told the first person I spoke with about my conversation with EA and she transferred me to a gentleman in the returns department. I wish I had written down his name so I could write Amazon and commend him for outstanding customer service. I explained my conversation with EA and he checked his inventory and said he had no new copies of Tiger 14. I told him I really didn't want a replacement since the game was totally broken through bad programming and I would like to return it for a refund. He immediately sent me a link to download and print a prepaid return shipping label and said I'd get a full refund when they received the game.

KUDOS to Amazon for taking care of their customers and covering EA's defective products.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 6, 2013
A lot of the time, a golf game is a golf game is a golf game.
I played 13, lived through the INSANE amount of freezing up, and when my friends on XBL migrated to 14, I went ahead and snagged a copy too.

Had I been smarter, I would have just waited - they are mostly back to playing 13 now, as very few can stand this new and "IMPROVED" edition.

In terms of game play, this is pretty much the same as TW13 or TW12. Not much visible innovation, and frankly I think the graphics are a step back from last years effort. It isnt that they are BAD - it just doenst do much to impress.

In terms of the infamous TW13 freezing - TW14 has come a long way. I find myself freezing only once a week on average, instead of once an hour. That part really is nice. There is still the ridiculous "DLC" course - although how they can treat stuff available on release day as DLC seems to violate the spirit of DLC. Didnt DLC used to be when the game was out, and there were still things in the pipe that just were not quite ready - so fine tune it, offer it later for a small fee. Now with "DLC" courses built right into your yearly schedule right from release day, it makes for a pretty transparent cash grab.

As many have noted the thing that is most annoying is the clubs resetting. If you have played earlier incarnations of the game, you know that as your player levels up and gets better, you unlock more / better clubs and other equipment. Well, this game likes to reset your clubs. So, say you have played some, and updated your clubs with a modestly better set. Now you are in a match, and thinking, jeez, I used to hit the ball further than this.... So you go and check, and all your clubs are back to the first set you started out with.
I wish I could say it was after a certain thing happens, or a specific sequence, but it seems to be perfectly random. I have played a few hours without it changing, and I have played a single round and had them change. A high degree of customization is NOT a feature if the game decides to just reset all you have done.

I dont know if it is an EASTER EGG or a bug, but I have also found my golfer to show up on the links in BRA AND PANTIES after I played some of the historic Masters Moments, and then later went back on XBL and played some friends. Cant think that is sposed to be a feature, but I guess some might think so...

All in all this is a pretty poor effort, and it makes me sad to see another proud franchise in decline.
I used to LOVE the Madden series, and it just got terrible. Now this. I hope they dont kill the college football next, it is about the last good thing these guys put out...
on April 27, 2014
Although the graphics are better, there are too many glitches in the software...I.e. low score does not always win the tournament...
on June 4, 2014
If you would like to get a golf game I can understand that. I have been playing this for some time now and the game continues to degrade. Many features for the country clubs are no longer functioning, the pins no longer work, can't connect to the EA servers for weeks, the complaints on the EA forum are not responded to, no chance to get these items fixed when the company has decided to stop supporting the game.

Don't waste your money buying a game with so many problems.

Here is the complaint forum. No response from a single person at EA for months.
[...]
on April 30, 2014
Based on gameplay alone, this game is probably worth 4 stars, in my opinion. It is an excellent golf sim and the historic master's edition brings a nice flavor to the game. However, the game has numerous glitches. From freezing in random spots throughout the game to the well-known but never fixed bug of giving you only the starter clubs, this game was released before it was ready and you lose some of the enjoyment you would get out of the game. A shame too, because it would have been excellent.
on June 13, 2014
Unless you like to pay for buggy software that locks up, won't keep the correct clubs in your bag, or won't allow you to choose a putter for your bag then freezes the game. Oh, and if that's not enough fun, many people have complained to EA Sports about these bugs for a couple years with no response from them and no patch to fix the issue.

Can you say ripoff?