Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon September 4, 2012
Tiger's Claw by Dale Brown

Dale Brown plucks his plots out of newspaper headlines. This thriller postulates China as our new deadly foe. Obviously that is not much of a fictional stretch.

One of the subtleties of Brown's books is the need to read between the lines. The book points out that with the intertwined nature of the global economy it would be difficult for any conflict to escalate to war.

Even noting that, Brown clearly details how minor events can snowball into making conflict nearly inevitable. I haven't read any Dale Brown lately and I found this book a bit more formulistic than I recall. It could have been one I read several years ago with the names of the players being changed.

I do enjoy the reoccurring characters as that provides a familiarity to the story that is quite pleasant. The nature of the plot does not provide a lot of warm and fuzzy feelings but more of a sense of trepidation. The specific details sometimes get overwhelming but overall and entertaining read.

I recommend the book.
on September 20, 2012
I've read all the Dale Brown books and this is at the bottom of my list of favorites. It's a good story, and ripped from the headlines as others have commented. The problem is that it spends 85% of the pages on setup and doesn't really get to the "action" parts until around the 90% mark. I know, percentages are weird for a book, but that's what you have to go by on Kindle.
on August 7, 2014
I was so disappointed with this book. It began well and kept my attention having attributes of earlier books. It seemed like the ending was just rushed out just to finish the book. Had good detail but lost its way to finish things off. Just anti climatically
Ended what could have finished things as he used too like use fifty pages instead of five pages to close things out. I have read every Dale Brown book I could find. Guess I'll have to find another for my military action.
on October 11, 2013
This book might be getting good reviews from readers who are Dale Brown fans, but I think that readers who have a larger selection of authors will be disappointed.

The book:
- has too much space devoted to a cursory examination of political philosophies
- stilted dialogue with characters explaining technological nuances to each other ... using acronyms!
- too little action
- unbelievable characters, particularly on the Chinese side, whose sole purpose seems to be to get into a fight and thus provide the limited action in the novel.

And of course the author's total belief that large bombers are the best military aircraft around, only if some tech gizmos can be put into them, leads to a one-track story. These things can whack anything out of the sky, including dedicated air-to-air fighters. But okay, we know that is going to happen if its a Dale Brown book.

Nevertheless, its not a total loss; the author's writing style is good, and if one skips over entire passages that are completely irrelevant, the book hums along decently well.

But somehow, it simply doesn't come together. Even the ending is ambiguous; the two countries clash in a minor action ... and then finis.
on September 26, 2012
I really liked the earlier works by Brown better...

I thought the plot was predictable and the techno-speak was done better in the earlier books like Flight of the Old Dog. I thought that Patrick was not as strong in this story as well. You would have thought with the death of Masters in the last book that he would have been a little more assertive with the company.
on August 31, 2014
Wow, what a ride. Bazaar and weird. Off the charts in some ways, but prophetic in others. Brown spent too much time filling the reader with technical specs that added nothing to the story. I frankly don't know why he did it. I was not impressed. I acknowledge the audacity of the Chinese and only hope that the author doesn't know something I don't know. Finally, there was little depth to the characters, so it didn't matter much when they didn't make it. I felt no attachment. Let me add: I have written five novels; two were aerospace oriented -- one was about an airline disaster; the other about the stealth aircraft. Neither of them filled the readers heads with so much technical jargon that they were lost in the details.
on August 3, 2015
This rather the hell iCal about planes and bombs, non the less it was so good I read the book in one sitting, could not put it down. Scary as hell too, really issued me off the subterfuge of the political and the blaming etc. was like real life and it is so annoying, what is really gained by lying? Not a thing!
on April 6, 2015
A great technothriller of what could be if Heaven Forbid America & China go at each other's throats. As China's technology upgrades and desire to turn the South China Sea into its own lake, America will have to be ready. Dale Brown has smartly came up with a means of using the B-1B as more than just a bomb truck but a full blown flying destroyer. Enjoy the thriller....
on October 8, 2015
A good story....interesting in the way it showed how the politicians thought AND how they THOUGHT what their adversaries were thinking. Other then the book (at times) reading like a war surplus catalog, it was fine. A surprise ending as well.
on July 10, 2014
I have always loved Dale Brown's novels. He is one of few authors out there that is the late Tom Clancy's equal in writing the techo-military thriller in his own fast paced style. Once you start one of his books, they are very hard to put down. It was doubly so with this book. Ask my wife. To quote her ".Please come to bed. You can't stay up all night reading!" Yes you can if you are reading one of Dale Brown's books. His grasp of military technology and tactics is amazing! And China is definitely our biggest adversary now! Buy this book! You won't be sorry.