4.0 out of 5 stars Solid
Published 14 months ago by john manganaro

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit flimsy
Seems to be airtight but it didn't last long as the lid developed a crack and it soon became useless. If you have a Peets coffee nearby, check out their containers. Much better and not much more money.
Published 3 months ago by Bradley W. Bleck

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, January 28, 2013
This review is from: Tightvac Coffeevac 1 Pound Vacuum Sealed Storage Container, Solid Black Body/Cap (Misc.)
As other reviewers mentioned, this is not a vacuum seal container, rather it displaces air when you push the lid down on the container and then forms a tight seal leaving some air behind. I use a french press daily and grind my own beans to hold in the container. I have had my latest batch in there for 2+ weeks now and the brew tastes the same as it did two weeks ago. Not sure how long the flavor will hold but in my case it is long enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bigger is better, September 2, 2011
You can cram a whole bag of beans in to this bad boy. I have two of them, a small one for coffee I have ground up for use this week, and the larger one for keeping whole beans. They keep me well stocked in fresh coffee.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, November 27, 2013
After my earlier purchase of a BeanSafe, I realized that I was in need of additional coffee bean storage capacity so I decide to give the Tightvac a try. I like it, but not as much as the BeanSafe. The Tightvac is rather large compared to the BeanSafe, The Tightvac is 7 3/4 inches tall, where the BeanSafe is 6 1/2 inches tall. That might not seem like a significant difference, but depending on the clearance of your cupboards it could be.

The BeanSafe uses four clasps around the top of the container to secure your beans and has a valve in the top to force air out. The Tightvac uses a button on the side of the top piece that you depress when you want to secure your beans. As you press the top piece down (with the button pushed in) air is forced out. As other reviewers have mentioned, this does not form a perfect vacuum, but it comes pretty close and gives the CO2 from your beans a way to escape. The TIghtvac works best when the lower chamber is full of beans.

The BeanSafe feels sturdier; the Tightvac's walls are fairly thin and I suspect they would not hold up as well if dropped. All in all, I am reasonably happy with the Tightvac but would recommend the BeanSafe instead if you choose only one solution.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a vacuum, but a very tight seal, January 2, 2013
Stephen Gray (Riverside, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The "Tightvac Coffeevac" has a very tight fitting lid that will neither slide onto the canister nor slide off without depressing a button on the lid to allow air to enter or escape depending on whether you're putting the lid on or taking it off. The canister doesn't create a vacuum (as the name would imply) but it does create a very tight seal so there's minimal exchange of air. This size easily holds a pound of coffee beans and does a very good job of keeping them fresh. The different colors offered are a very nice touch to allow you to quickly distinguish among canisters if you store, for instance, espresso beans and regular coffee beans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, February 27, 2013
I really like how these work, simple and secure. Every time I open it up to get some beans out I am smacked in the face with an aroma of deliciousness. I am no coffee snob but I know what I like and these keep my beans fresh.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit flimsy, December 26, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful product, January 5, 2013
Has a top notch vacuum seal. I purchased two of these one for coffee and one for teas. For anyone looking for a stylish way to keep item fresh not only for coffee or teas but also crackers this product is for you. Plus for those who have an ultra modern kitchen this fits the bill.

5.0 out of 5 stars this is the s***., January 20, 2013
I got my boyfriend this for christmas, it really does work. the only thing is if you hold it by the lid, the container will slowly slide off. but all in all, he loves it. its a great replacement for the breakable airtight jars that he was using... hahaa

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not work for fresh roasted coffee, February 26, 2014
I purchased two of these in hopes of using them to store freshly roasted coffee. I roast my own coffee beans at home every week and was searching for the ideal place to store them. Prior to this purchase, I had been using a Friis Coffee Vault and wanted to try these because they were 1) smaller and 2) did not required valve replacement. Unfortunately, I found that my coffee beans went stale within a day or two when using the Coffeevacs. I used them for several weeks and eventually gave up and went back to the Coffee Vault, which I feel works much better at maintaining the freshness of freshly roasted coffee. I am not sure if the problem was that the coffee reacted with the plastic or if a lack of seal caused the problem. My theory is that these cannot keep fresh roast coffee from going stale due to 1) Lack of valve for C02 to escape and 2) Lack of airtight seal.

I would have given the product 3-stars, but I give it 2-stars due to false advertising on the part of Tightvac. I know that there has been some arguments in the reviews about the definition of "vacuum" and "seal." Here is my take on some of the information I received from the Tightvac website before I purchased these:

"Acts in exactly the same way as a one way degassing valve" - Not true. The valve in this system is two way and opens only when the button on the side is pressed. This may be why fresh roasted coffee goes stale in these - no true way to degass except manually.

"They create a vacuum seal every time you open and close the container" - Not true. There are no seals/gaskets in this system, just hard plastic on hard plastic. There is only a vacuum in the sense that if you try to pull the lid off without opening the valve, you will create a slight vacuum and the lid will pull back down.

"CoffeeVacs are...Air Tight" - Again, no seals in this system.

To summarize, these containers are not good for storing freshly roasted coffee beans. They would probably be fine for storing store bought (i.e. stale) coffee. Otherwise, I would recommend the Friis Coffee Vault or just a plain mason jar with lid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cool idea...it just doesn't work., November 30, 2012
This is a clever little gizmo, but it doesn't do what it claims. Yes, you have to let out some air to get the the lid to close, but there is no vacuum created. No way to get the extra air out of the container. Unless this thing is filled to the brim, you're gonna have air in it. There is absolutely nothing special about this container. You're better off using Tupperware or something that is actually air tight.

ARRAY(0xa0c9e6a8)