5.0 out of 5 stars I Love This Thing
Published on November 22, 2007 by Kenneth Auger

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good experience
I wanted to buy a Food Saver for years now and finally ordered this unit. Unit was sold by The Tree House Shoppe, and I don't think I will every buy from them again.
The 'new' unit was not really new. When I opened the box, the tubing was yellow. Don't know if this was sitting out for display, but I think there should be another indicator for `Open box item' or...
Published 12 months ago by HausFrau

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love This Thing, November 22, 2007
This review is from: FoodSaver V2490
If you have a refrigerator and/or a freezer and store food, you want one of these! I was torn between rating this four or five stars. It does have one flaw, but there is a simple work-around (See Cons below). It does everything the manufacturer says it will do and more. I've been using it for a year and a half now. I am very pleased. It has definitely paid for itself through savings in bulk purchasing and preserving leftovers. I have kept food in the freezer for embarrassingly long times without any freezer burn or other detectable deterioration. It is so simple to use that one does not need to read the instructions to begin using it. However, I do recommend reading them for important maintenance information and to learn how to get the full benefits from this appliance.

Pros:
It always works as expected.
Simple and easy to use.
Easy to clean and maintain.
Relatively quiet for a vacuum pump.

Con:
The gaskets are a bit of a problem. There are two foam gaskets, one on the lid and one on the base, that meet to form the seal when you lower the lid to vacuum and seal. The problem is that after a while the weight of the lids begins to compress these gaskets and they begin not to seal. When this happens you can hear the pump trying to get the air out, but it never finishes. I was very disappointed when this started happening. I searched the Internet for other users' experiences, and found this to be a fairly common problem. The problem is the two sealing gaskets.

Here's what I did to remedy this problem. First I removed the gaskets (very easy to do) and gently washed them with warm soapy water, letting them soak for about ten minutes. I hung them dry for a day and put them back in (also easy to do). This fixed the problem. My FoodSaver worked like it did when it was brand new. I was amazed. As far as I could tell, there was nothing in the printed instructions that dealt with this issue.

Second, I got a small piece packing foam and put it between the lid and the base to keep the lid from closing all the way when not in use. If you do this, be sure to position the piece of foam so that it is not touching either the foam gasket in the lid or the one in the base, as this will cause indentions in the gasket foam and prevent it from forming a seal.

Third, I called the manufacturer and ordered some replacement gaskets as backup. They were only one dollar per pair plus a mailing charge. The new gaskets were here in a couple of days. I haven't used them yet as the work-around using the piece of foam to hold the lid up seems to be keeping the old gaskets in working order.

Conclusions:
I think that the manufacturer should design a catch of some sort to stop the lid from closing all the way when the appliance is not in use. This would eliminate the problem with the sealing gaskets. Other than that the FoodSaver seems well designed, sturdy, and very handy to have in the kitchen.

Recommendation:
Highly Recommended. If you eat food you need one of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for saving time & money, March 26, 2009
This review is from: FoodSaver V2490
I use the FoodSaver constantly. This has allowed me to save money by buying food on special or in large quantities (like buying a whole chicken instead of parts). It's saved me time because I package everything in one portion per bag. Each day I just pop out a bag for dinner; defrost & cook it up.

Kenneth Auger's review makes a great point: I can see that, as he indicated, the gaskets could get crushed in time during storage. If you lock down the lid every time you put it away, it'll smash the gaskets.

The key is to not let the lid close all the way while you're storing it. I do this simply by locking it *BEFORE* closing the lid -- then the lid doesn't close and the gaskets don't rest squished.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a convert and worship this on a daily basis, March 10, 2009
zhabazon (Washington DC area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: FoodSaver V2490
In years past, I couldn't believe the hooplah about FoodSaver Systems and thought they were simply overpriced gimmicks. I admit that I was wrong. I use this vacuum packaging system every day and I'm proud to admit it.

This particular model allows you to seal either wet or dry items and I've found that to be a distinct advantage over my earlier model. The bag cutter is an asset that I use regularly because I mainly use the continuous roll to save money over pre-cut bags. I re-use bags as much as possible after giving them a serious washing and drying. I'm not embarrassed to cut down bags into smaller and smaller sizes to save the plastic from the landfill for a bit longer. When packaging things like a whole fish that's been cleaned and sliced into steaks, I individually wrap the fish in plastic wrap and immediately freeze them. When they are solid, I place them into a bag with several inches of added length and each time I remove the needed steaks, I have plenty of bag remaining for a re-seal. On the one inch remaining from the vacuumed edge, I use a sharpie to mark the ingredient and date of original freezing. I get sick of leftovers after a couple days, so I put single meals in vacuum sealed bags straight into the freezer for a work lunch. Although I microwave at work, I tend to put the bag into a pot of boiling water for defrosting and heating when at home. I've invested in a wide mouth lid sealer that is my favorite accessory because I like to store non-perishables in glass.

I have had no problems with my particular unit and haven't even had liquids spill into the removable reservoir tray more than a couple times. I follow the manufacturers recommendations and place a paper towel atop a container of flour to keep the flour from being sucked into the sealer. I wipe it down every time it is used and do not lock it unless it's being used. After dehydrating pounds of produce, I find this packaging system to be a saving grace for storage. When I pull out a bag of dried cherries, I feel like I've struck it rich. I highly recommend this system and remind you that Amazon offers the replacement bags and canisters as well for competitive prices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this machine, August 3, 2009
This review is from: FoodSaver V2490
So I had one of these units for years, having moved, I opted to replace this machine rather than digging through unopened boxes of stuff to find it. Let me say, I love this machine and its updates over my previous much older model. I love that the bags store inside of the machine, and the this machine cuts the bags for you. I hated dragging out the bags then the scissors, and then cutting the old bags. You always get a nice straight line now which makes sealing the bags much more easy.

I also like the locking mechanism of this machine, I like that I can put my bag in, click down the lever, and press a button, and come back in a minute or two with the bag perfectly sealed. Before I had to stand there and hold the bag, and press the lid shut. Now you can walk away and do something else while your bag seals up perfectly. I wondered why they didn't do this the first time!

I love these machines, I really save money by using this when I purchase meat in bulk and package up for smaller meals. I couldn't recommend this vacuum sealing system enough. I really love the new enhances to a product I have loved for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally awesome system, May 25, 2009
This review is from: FoodSaver V2490
I had an older model Vacuum packer and it just vacuum sealed with no control over vacuum pump. This Item works well with its pulse mode to package rolls bagels etc. it is also great for resealing chip bags etc.

AAAAA++++++

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy!, May 29, 2009
This review is from: FoodSaver V2490
I actually couldn't wait to open this thing up, came with 20ft of bag (2 rolls) and 3 different size canisters. You can't go wrong with price either. I do bodybuilding and usually like to stock up on food I can leave in my chest freezer. This will also allow me to make pre-made meals that I can boil or microwave later in the bag. Time saver if you eat 5-6 times a day like me. The best part is the freshness and life of food is extended with this product. Definately worth the price I paid.

Shipping was pretty quick, 7 days from the day I placed the order.

5.0 out of 5 stars I use it all the time!, July 23, 2011
Sandy (Jackson, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FoodSaver V2490
We've owned our FoodSaver for a couple of years now and I think it has paid for itself by preserving food that would have been freezer burned, or gone stale. It's wonderful when I buy family size packages of meat or chicken. I place enough for my husband and I in separate packages, seal them, and pop them in the freezer. Everything I have frozen has come out as fresh looking as when I sealed the bag.

I use the sealer every day by sealing up bags of cereal, potato chips, pretzels, bagels, hamburger buns, marshmallows, etc. I hate opening a bag of pretzels knowing the next time we open the bag they will be stale already. By sealing them (in their original bags) they stay amazingly fresh! I can't vacuum out the air, but I press out as much as possible before sealing the bag closed. When we want cereal or chips the next day, I just cut off the top, use what we need and reseal it again. It works great!

Another great idea I'm happy to share is I save the used freezer bags and reuse them when I have something really smelly to throw away .. fat trimmed off meat; bones; those papers that line the bottom of the styrofoam trays that meat and chicken come in; or anything that's going to stink to high Heaven before trash day comes around. I just stuff the soon to be gross smelling stuff in a bag, seal it up, and toss it in the trash. I have the best smelling garbage bags around! LOL

4.0 out of 5 stars Check those seals!, January 28, 2013
This review is from: FoodSaver V2490
I've had this machine for almost four years and I use it a lot. each time I think it has stopped working and I'm faced with buying a new one and throwing this junk away, I remember the seals. When I take them out (there are three) and clean them and moisten them and then use a food-grade silicone to keep them moist, the tight seal is recreated and the machine works as new. FoodSaver should emphasize this in their materials. In my experience the seals have been the critical difference between working and not working.

5.0 out of 5 stars Avoid "cash in the trash", get a foodsaver, January 23, 2010
This review is from: FoodSaver V2490
Love it! We've had various foodsaver appliances for years including the newest vertical models. I'm going to go on record here and say that the vertical models are all sizzle and no steak.

The vacuum sealing concept has been great for us. We buy food in bulk at reduced unit prices and separate it into portions, vacuum package it and freeze half or more. Rarely do we ever throw spoiled food away, that's cash in the trash.

With the V2490 and similar "lay flat" models even my wife has an easy time making, vacuuming and sealing bags. How difficult is it to draw some plastic from a roll until it's even with the sealing strip, close the top, lock the lever and push a single button. Voila! you've made a bag. Of course you can also use pre-made bags and avoid all that "hassle"

When sealing delicate items such as baked goods or chips you can stop the vacuum process at any time simply by tapping the "seal" button.

It's simple to reseal potato chip, cookie or vegetable bags with these machines. All you have to do is lay the bag over the sealing strip, lock the top and push the seal button. Again with the verticals if you can do it at all you have to push the bag evenly into the slot until it trips a mechanical flap which you can't even see, then wait for the bag to be clamped in place, wait for the seal and wait for the bag to be unclamped. By the way this clamping is accomplished by an electric motor & gears not needed in the V2490.

The foodsaver has a permanent place on our kitchen counter. Granted, this model occupies an inch or two more space than the verticals but for us the trade off is worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable and Undeniably Indispensable, May 15, 2009
This review is from: FoodSaver V2490
At first I thought these items were a waste of time since my brother had one and I often criticize him for being stupid. Yet soon after I started using his FoodSaver (for re-vacuuming food that I robbed while watching his cats as he was away on vacation) I soon realized just how important these so-called "wastes of space" can be. For example, after packaging an item and storing it in the freezer for an extended period of time (generally 5X to 6X longer then traditionally "zip-locking" an item), you can simply remove it and boil/microwave that item in the bag to retain flavor and avoid mess! How cool is that? Well maybe not that cool but it does save some time and effort. On top of that it's fun to watch all the air be removed from a bag or canister and know in the back of your mind it's going to be fresh whenever you open it again. Granted this system is geared towards larger families or those people who buy in bulk, but as for myself I live alone and still use it frequently enough. This is not only because I don't rampage through my fridge 24/7, but also because I prepare food for others. Look at it this way, it's impressive to arrive to at a girlfriends or friends house with your food all air-sealed tight and of course you don't have to worry about the cr*p spilling all over the place. Don't think so?? Don't be hating, once you start you'll soon understand.

Unfortunately there are a few downsides but they are few-and-far between. First of all like others have mentioned you have to keep an eye on both the top and bottom foam gaskets. Once they become indented by the weight of the lid it sometimes becomes troublesome to make a airtight seal. You can clean them as someone here mentioned and let them dry for awhile or (which I recommended) is to simply never lock the lid when not in use, then use the Styrofoam spacer that comes with the unit at purchase. It doesn't look ghetto at all (since it's unnoticeable) when you close the lid. Secondly this DOES NOT work on all bags in your freezer. I assumed that I can pull anything from the fridge and vacuum seal it. WRONG! You can seal practically any plastic bag, but the flimsier types will either melt the sealer (which could present a huge problem) or simply not remove the air from the bag. As you probably know any air trapped within the bag after the seal will just further degrade the freshness of the food. Solution? Simply use the FoodSaver bags instead which are both sturdier and designed (with a criss-cross pattern) to remove air during the vacuum process. Simple right? Yup, but of course that also means more money as a roll of these bags generally cost around $20. The flip-side to all this is you can re-use the bags as often as you want assuming you're not storing items like raw meat (due to bacterial issues with repackaging). Is repackaging ghetto? Ummm, a little bit but screw it since I don't feel like throwing down Jacksons every time I want to wrap a freakin' bag of Triscuits or something.

So there you have it, an item I fully endorse. And should you trust my endorsement? Yeah...you should. Look at the other reviews! People love it and this is the first time I ever wrote a review for something that seemed so gay only weeks ago. I love it, you will too and your food will stay fresh. You'll save room in your fridge and it will look cool when people come over and are like "Dayum, you're so organized". And you can proudly respond "Hells yeah". Godspeed Tilia Foodsaver, godspeed.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›