Tim Burton's mind must be a very strange place. Remember, it's where if you commit suicide you have to work for social services in the afterlife (Ref: Beetlejuice). I'm a social worker, so I know what that means! Men with hands made of scissors, Jack Nicholson as Batman's foil...this is one sick puppy of a director.

So when you hear Mr. Burton is directing...
Published on October 9, 2005 by Kelly L. Norman

3.0 out of 5 stars New meaning of 'til death us do part...
If you've seen other Tim Burton movies then this one will not disappoint. It has the style the humor and the poignancy he's known for. One point -- I didn't expect, can't imagine how I didn't hear, well -- it's a musical. The first time they burst into song I sort of sat there blinking like a caution light.

Short blurb: Parent arrange wedding between poor but...
Published on September 7, 2006 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Something Borrowed, Something Blue, Something Decomposing....Eeewwww!, October 9, 2005

So when you hear Mr. Burton is directing a film based on an Eastern European folktale in which one of the heroines-the heroines, mind you---is a corpse....well, family fare is not what comes to mind.

And, although it's animated, Corpse Bride definitely is not for the younger set, 9 or so and below. These characters look creepy. The title character has a habit of losing her eye and talking to the maggot, Louie, who lives behind it. Skeletons of dogs and people walk and talk about in the "underworld".

However, like Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands, older children will find the animations amusing and fascinating; and parents will be pleased with the messages packaged in the film.

Briefly, "Corpse Bride" is an animated operetta in which Victor (voiced by Johnny Depp), son of fishmongers, is engaged to Victoria, (Emily Watson) the daughter of nobles who are now penniless. Neither know each other but meet accidentally and fall in love. When Victor stumbles over his complicated wedding vows at the rehearsal, he's humiliated by a stranger at the wedding (Richard E. Grant) and walks in the woods to practice. When he says the vows, he places the ring on a "twig" that turns out to be the finger of Emily (Helena Bonham-Carter), the Corpse Bride, who of course jumps up and happily informs him they are married. (She's very pretty, by the way, dead or not).

Much of the rest of the movie is taken up by Victor trying to figure out how to get out from the Underworld and by Emily trying to either deny he's doing that or actively convince him to stay. Gradually, however, Victor finds, to his surprise, that he is falling in love with Emily.

In the end the viewers have heard some good lessons about love, and the main characters, primarily Emily and Victor, have each been willing to sacrifice greatly for the other, out of their love for each other. The importance of wedding vows is a central theme, and Victor especially gives long thought to whom his alliances lie, given what he's promised, and to whom. And those motivated by greed, such as Richard Grant's character, mostly come out empty handed.

The comedy is brilliant. In one scene, Emily's friends in the "pub" do a number quite reminiscent of the Star Wars cantina scene, given the odd-looking musicians. I'm not sure how well the "operetta" mode works with animation; while claymation gives these characters terrific means of expression, they are still limited in their ability to emote, and musical theatre may be best left to human faces. Still, Danny Elfman's score is beautiful as always.

Leave the wee ones with the other parent next door at "March of the Penguins" or "Wallace and Gromit: Search for the Were-Rabbit", then huddle with the rest of the kids to see this wonderful film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie with great authoring, January 4, 2007
This review is from: Tim Burton's Corpse Bride [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Corpse Bride was the first Blu-Ray movie I couldn't wait to see. I had it on DVD and viewed it many times and as I knew the movie inside and out, along with the issues with displaying the SD DVD on my HD TV, I was excited to be able to make a side by side comparison between the 2 releases.

Corpse Bride on Blu-Ray completely blows the other Blu-Ray movies I own out of the water in terms of authoring. The clarity of the image is astounding and the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray is made overly apparent when you can do a comparison of the 2 directly.

In the Blu-Ray release of CB you can see the texture of the puppets' faces, something certainly lacking in the DVD. You can also see in the skeleton dance scene some of the metal bits holding the puppets together. On the DVD you can see it but it is difficult or nearly impossible to tell what the shiny piece is.

As far as the movie, it's a great love story in Tim Burton's typical twisted fashion.

Definitely worth checking out as a movie but also worthy of checking out what Blu-Ray is capable of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Death suits them!, October 24, 2005
Tim Burton creates a stunning masterpiece that keeps all the parameters typical in his productions. Combining the macabre and childish elements with stop motion animation techniques, Burton gives life to a fantastic story, just as he did in 1993 with the superb Nightmare before Christmas.

The store serves the director as an excuse to build yet another visual fantasy, supported by the voices of several of his favorite actors: Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Albert Finney and Christopher Lee.

The ironic and funny style of Burton portraying death repeats itself, forming and obscure and complex world. The principal characters are no other but a dead bride, a colorful number of skeletons, some monsters and a shy and repressed young man.

The plot of The Corpse's Bride is based on a traditional Ukrainian tale about a girl murdered on her weeding day and waiting since then for her true love.

In a Victorian England village lives Victor van Dort, a melancholic young man pressed by his wealthy but uneducated family to engage to a broken but aristocrat young woman named Victoria Everglot, whose parents despise the Van Dorts but want to solve their economical problems with this convenience marriage.

During a wedding rehearsal at the Everglot's house, Victor goes out to practice his vows, and accidentally says the words on a dead bride's tomb, who has been expecting since her dead for her true love to say the words that magically will free her to be happily ever after.

From that point, Victor goes on a journey in the land of the dead with his new bride. Down there everything seems more fun and colorful that "up there", where the world of the living is, on the contrary, almost colorless, with and aesthetic close to whites and blacks, keeping the stiffness and conservative style of the Victorian Ages.

Although the title suggests otherwise, The Corpse's Bride is a sweet and sour love story with a poetic capacity very suggestive and dreamy. True to his provoking spirit, Burton bets on surprising us, letting his usual black humor to disperse over an oppressive atmosphere while the emotional theme of the film, the loss of love, is told like a musical comedy.

3.0 out of 5 stars New meaning of 'til death us do part..., September 7, 2006

Short blurb: Parent arrange wedding between poor but aristocratic girl and rich but trade boy. Surprise they like each other when they finally meet. Boy is clumsy at the rehersal. Evil wedding guest of brides parents is cutting in remarks. Boy runs away and practices in the cemetery and end up marrying a corpse. Corpse bride is a nice girl who was jilted by her finance and killed. Boy tries to get to his 'living' bride. Lots of stuff happens and you can guess the end.

The animation is wonderful and filled with lots of little things in the background that just make the movie a treat for the eyes -- of course Corpse Bride is noir but that doesn't mean it doesn't have it's sight gags (the 'head' waiter in the graveyard bar). Dark and creepy with an inner beauty and strong core of love and redemption.

5.0 out of 5 stars We All End Up The Remains of the Day, January 23, 2006
Tim Burton once again makes us laugh at the folly of our own mortality without managing to insult us. It's lovely to imagine that when we die, there will be a pub we can relax in, and all the aches and pains we exprienced will fade. It's nice to know we'll have nothing to fear...

Corpse Bride captures all these things and more! You wouldn't think so, given the title, however it presents a complex love story, and caused me to think deeply about what life is really about. Any story that can do this, in my book, is a masterpiece.

This film also gives us a scrumptious look into the two worlds through stop-motion animation. It is fantastic! The art has come a long way since Nightmare (though I don't think it's fair to compare the two) and moves very beautifully. The ending is bitter-sweet, as is life, and it moved me to tears.

I went opening night (being the Burton groupy that I am) and there were many like me there. We cheered at the ending and gasped at the plot twists. I do have to say, however, this movie would be a little much for children. It gets very close to the edge of what we are comfortable with: The idea of a man falling for a dead woman, the dead rising up and joining us at dinner, seeing people we've lost after many years in the underworld, etc...

All in all, I thought this was brilliant. See it for yourself and you'll understand. If you're a Tim Burton fan and behold his work with great affection like I do, you'll be taken in by the first few frames of animation.

Corpse Bride is spectacular!

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as Expected, April 19, 2006
Corpse Bride was great, just like I thought it would be. In fact, it was exactly as I expected it to be -- which is good and bad.

I like Tim Burton and I like Johnny Depp, but I'm getting a little tired of Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, together forever, true love always, etc. This time we have a Johnny Depp puppet. He is great, don't get me wrong, and I deeply understand the fixation, but... enough already. Note to Johnny Depp: More Finding Neverlands. More Pirates. Fewer deranged chocolate magnates. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was a magnificent disaster.

Corpse Bride is neither a disaster nor a mess. In fact, it is lovely and charming, in exactly the way you would expect it to be -- no more and no less. The soundtrack is spot on, the visuals are haunting and exquisite, and the storyline is sweet. It did not blow me into next week like Nightmare Before Christmas did. However, this time I felt like I was in familiar territory, and when I saw "Nightmare" for the first time, I'd never seen anything like that before. Maybe if I'd seen this one first, I would have felt the same about it.

As for the love triangle between Emily Watson, Helena Boneham Carter, and Johnny Depp, I was definitely rooting for the Corpse Bride to win. The ending was tidy. The whole movie, in fact, was a little tidy. After the "Ahhhh cool!" moment of seeing how the real world was faded and the afterworld was saturated with color, I didn't see anything else in the movie to really charm me, apart from the usual Burton visuals.

I think that with the Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Burton just lifted the bar so high that even he has trouble climbing over it any more. The one thing that did completely enthrall me was the fact that this is stop-motion animation. At the beginning of the film, I said to my husband, "It almost looks like stop-motion animation, but it couldn't possibly be. They must have used computers to kind of simulate it, for nostalgia purposes." No, it is really the genuine article. Which is stunning and beautiful. If you watch the "making of" featurette on the DVD, your teeth will fall out of your head with admiration for the effort that goes into this stuff. It is truly amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks amazing, February 8, 2007
This review is from: Tim Burton's Corpse Bride [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
When I saw this in the theater I didn't really like the story as much some of Burton's other films but I decided to buy the Blu-ray because I had heard great things about the transfer. I can say I was not disappointed; the picture is simply amazing and I have even come to appreciate the story after watching it a few times at home.

A++ transfer and an A story; a must for any Burton fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent on Blu-Ray, August 18, 2007
This review is from: Tim Burton's Corpse Bride [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This Blu-Ray version is much better than the dvd. The clarity is SUPERB. It really doesn't do it justice to try to describe it. It's like trying to compare a steak to a hamburger. You just gotta watch it. By the way, I especially liked the behind-the-scenes making of the movie and seeing the clay puppets being put together frame by frame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and delightful!, December 11, 2005
Being a fan of Tim Burton's movies, I knew I had to watch "Corpse Bride" sooner or later. I finally decided to see this film, and was not disappointed one bit.

The story starts off with Victor Van Dort (voiced by Johnny Depp), a young man who is engaged to Victoria Everglot (voiced by Emily Watson). During their wedding rehearsal, Victor forgets his vows, drops the ring, and sets Mrs. Everglot's (Victoria's mother) dress on fire. He is ordered to practice harder if he wants to get married to Victoria. After the rehearsal, he walks through the forest to practice on his speech. He does it perfectly, and puts the ring on a twig on the ground. However, this twig turns out to be the hand of a corpse bride (voiced by Helena Bonham Carter), and since he said his vows and placed the ring on her finger, he is now married to her. She takes him to the underworld, where he must reside forever. At first, he tries his best to leave and go back to his own world, but once he learns about the history of the corpse bride, and spends time with her, he starts to develop feelings for her. Unfortunately, he also finds out that Victoria is engaged to marry Lord Barkis (voiced by Richard E. Grant), an evil and greedy man, and now Victor must decide who he loves and wants to spend his life with.

The movie starts off a little slowly, but quickly develops once Victor finds himself in the complicated situation. Director Tim Burton once again dazzles us with a wonderful movie filled with fantasy, comedy and adventure. I don't know how well it is compared to "Nightmare before Christmas" because I haven't seen that yet, but I think the animation in this movie was terrific! Of course, Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter did a fantastic job in providing their voices for the characters, as did the rest of the cast. The songs were delightful and added well to the movie.

All in all, "Corpse Bride" was a wonderful movie which I would definitely watch more than once.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tim Burton is back with Corpse Bride, June 6, 2006
Stephen Verhaeren (Palos Park, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This is the 6th time that director Tim Burton and Johnny Depp worked togther on a movie that started all the way back in 1990, with Edward Scissorhands, and then Ed Wood, and then 2 movies last year inclduing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and now this movie, thodse are the only ones that I know of that they worked on in 15 years. Now for a note for parents that this is a pretty dark PG movie, that it might not be best to leave your kids to watch by themsevles. Some where along the way there is mild lanuage. Victor Van Dort (Johnny Depp) is getting married, or maybe like forced into marriage into the broke Evergot family. But of coruse he has cold feet, even if he doesn't hide it very well. His bride is to be Victoria (Emily Watson, who parents jsut well are parents and they are Maudeline Everglot (Joanna Lumley) and Finis Everglot (Albert Finney). He also have parents but they are as snobs as hers are. He keeps messing up on his vows, and run away to a dark forest, and while he is practicing his vows, he ends up putting his ring of which he thinks is a branch of a tree, but a skelton fingers of Emily (Helena Bonham Carter). And let's not get itno her story of way she is a corpse bride. And somehow Victor finds himself married to her, and she brings him to her world, which is home of the dead, where he learns her tale. Victor ends up going missing, comes back with her to "meet" his parents, overhears a conveirson by her parents (Victoria's) and has to sneak in, but she catchs him with the another girl, and brings him back to the land of the dead, and pretty soon, she has to end up marrying Count Barkis Bittern (Richard E. Grant), who is a strngaer to her, and she doesn't live him. Now this was the 3rd film that was noiminated for best animated feature film, so you can add this on a film, to see if you want to see them, or even just movies that either won or noimated for best animated feature film.

Tim Burton's Corpse Bride [Blu-ray]
Tim Burton's Corpse Bride [Blu-ray] by Tim Burton (Blu-ray - 2006)
$14.97 $9.42