4.0 out of 5 stars Otherworldly plants
Published on January 9, 2012 by wogan

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful pictures too light on culture of specific plants
Published 21 months ago by jd

4.0 out of 5 stars Otherworldly plants, January 9, 2012
This review is from: The Timber Press Guide to Succulent Plants of the World: A Comprehensive Reference to More than 2000 Species (Hardcover)
It is true, as this book points out, that these plants survive in amazingly harsh conditions - where others couldn't and they do have an otherworldly appearance which somewhat contributes to their appeal. The plants pictured are from all over the world. Even with the first picture the appearance of many of them are jaw-dropping. They do make you want to investigate further and maybe try your luck with some of the varieties.

The book contains information about succulents in cultivation, in nature and then the different types, such as; Crassula, Echeveria and Sedum. There is use of their common and Latin names and they are organized by family and genus. The reader is introduced to some basic taxonomy and terms. The pictures are of beautiful specimens, both cultivated and in the wild.
Most of the content does describe the native habitats of the plants. There is some help of what method some of the varieties can be cultivated. There is a specific chapter that gives information on soil, water and propagation; but for the most part if you are looking for a book that gives you very precise and detailed step by steps on how to grow these in your home and yard, you really need to look elsewhere.

What this book gives, for the most part are descriptions of the plants in the wild and what their natural habitat is. There is also an index of the plant names.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing Book, May 22, 2012
Masha (Miami, Florida) - See all my reviews
This book contains some great reading of Mr. Dortort's travel adventures, where he seeks the rare succulent for his botanical gardens. Kind of an Indiana Jones of the Weird Plant World. I really want to go to South Africa now and see some of these amazing plants in situ. The book is vast and comprehensive, with many pictures of the plants in their native habitats. I particularly value this because it makes it clear how the plants normally live and how we can help them adapt to our world. I will be reading this from cover to cover several times at least, and referring to it often. Lots of good advice on caring for these fascinating plants, also. He even includes a number of geni that are not usually covered in "arid plant" books, like Bursera and Boswellia (copal and frankincense trees). Great stuff!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good content...but some things are missing...., December 31, 2012
There are never enough good books on succulents, and Dortort writes well and covers the best known traditional sorts. Although 2000 succulents sounds like a lot, I found that the treatment of many groups I value: hardy South Africans, Opuntias, geophytes and North Temperate succulents generally (Sedum for instance) was very skimpy or missing. This is not as comprehensive as the title suggests. For the beginning succulent enthusiast who is focusing on the classic greenhouse and sunroom plants, it is useful...however the photography is a tad small, and not as sumptuous as in other Timber Press books (Debra Baldwin's flashy although much less in depth books for instance). I wish that the picture quotient were upped! Still worth the investment for most serious collectors.

5.0 out of 5 stars At first view, November 9, 2011
Well, I want to be fair....So I will say that We own and operate a succulent nursery. At point of sale we often depend upon Ref. books to sell succulents. This is probly not the book for that. The Encloyp. would be better and offers many more pictures and details, it is also a "quick and user friendly" Ref. This book, I would not use while in the field selling. However I would use just to read at home. The selections in each cat. are very limited. Well there are thousands of succulents (including cactus) This book only touches the surface and very few pictures to help identify the plant. To be fair I will continue to read and use the book and get back to this review. If you were buying it to start a succulent garden,It would be little help. There are many books than can address that. This book is printed in China....Go figure? why?

Ok, after further review this is very well done. A lot of work and research went into this book. I changed my rating to five. I was only thinking of my use. I will use this book to further my education of succulents. Also in the back there is a index that will prove very usefull....Sorry, I can and will use this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful pictures too light on culture of specific plants, April 25, 2013
The book leaves you wanting more. There are some great pictures but only highlighted species. Also why bother mentioning one species looks similar to another without putting the photo for comparison? Specific specie cultural information is also lacking. The book does a good job highlighting interesting succulent families but stops at that. It peaks your interest and quits. Not a good choice for someone looking for a lot of specific plant family description and information. I have a small Aloe, Hoya and Haworthia collection. I am a hobbyist and by no means professional. I do admire Mr. Dortort's work and ambition in putting together such a volume. I just wish there were greater details on fewer families. Perhaps this book could serve as an introduction to an encyclopedic series to follow. Would be a good introductory volume for someone unfamiliar with succulents. I did purchase the book from Amazon and I found the price to be quite agreeable. I would feel really bad if I had given the $49.95 price suggested on the books jacket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guide to Succulent plants of the world, June 16, 2013
I was very pleased with this book. It is amazing to look at all the unusual plants around the world. I found the info very helpful and wish I could buy some of the weirdest plants for myself. The book is put together very well. Easy to read and lots of nice pictures to look at. It was better than I hoped for and will be a nice addition to my coffee table books and I will be looking at it and reading it for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars very informative and beautiful pictures., July 20, 2012
Great pics and info. I've been trying to ID a lot of plants in the succulent family for awhile and now, viola, it's a piece of cake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Cacti and Succulent Guide, March 17, 2013
Amazon Customer (Panama City, FL USA) - See all my reviews
The layout, the photos, the information were all spendid! I bought it for my brother who collects these plants, but I enjoyed it tremendously before sending it to him. My family has a background in horticulture, particularly exotic plants, and we have collected succulents and cacti for decades. This book blew my brother over!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Timber Press Guide to Succulent Plants of the World: a Comprehensive Reference to More Than 2000 Species, October 10, 2012
Very interesting book for the advanced hobbyist. Much detailed information about habitat and areas where each group of plants survives.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice technical book, February 4, 2013
It really has an amazing guide to the Succulent but i was a little let down when I notice that just some of the plants have their photos, instead of all of them.

$49.95 $39.37