5.0 out of 5 stars Best Shoes
These are my favorite shoes. I have been wearing this version for about 30 years. The glove leather inside is what makes them special. The quality seems has not seemed to go down much over the years - I think the leather used to be water-proofed. I insert 1/4" barbed brass plugs in the small holes in the heels so I don't wear the heals too quickly.

The ones...
Published 11 months ago by ANDREW TANNENBAUM

1.0 out of 5 stars Timberland quality isn't what it was
I've owned several pairs of these in the last 30 years. I used to love them. But I won't buy them again.

Published on November 15, 2009 by E. Murphy

1.0 out of 5 stars Timberland quality isn't what it was, November 15, 2009
This review is from: Timberland Men's Icon Three-Eye Classic Lug Chukka Boot (Apparel)

The last pair had rubber soles poorly glued to the leather insole. Several exposures to wet weather resulted in the soles coming loose. Regluing them never seem to work. Heavy shoes like these, with soles like these, commonly are bought for use in bad weather. It's not like I went hiking in patent leather tuxedo pumps and then complained because they didn't hold up well.

All shoes made in China are not necessarily inferior. But Timberlands aren't what they used to be.

2.0 out of 5 stars No longer made in US = drop in quality, January 31, 2013
ChrisWN (Santa Cruz, CA) - See all my reviews
For about 2 decades this was my absolute favorite shoe. One pair lasted me a whole decade with heavy use (almost every day in fall, winter & spring). They were the best combination of rugged work shoe (without a steel shank), sportiness & dressier look. While they weren't completely waterproof, regular treatment to the leather meant my feet stayed dry in light rain or if I was caught off guard. The sole was thick enough & high enough off the ground that water/sludge never seeped in. The seems were extremely well sewn & never once frayed, nor did the eyelets fall out. Even the original leather shoe laces lasted. While the sole wore some, particularly on the outer edge of the heel (i was a heavy over pronator), the ridges in the sole never wore down flat in a decade. I don't remember if the soles were originally Vibram or not, but they were fairly slip-proof.

So when I needed a 3rd pair (about 7 years ago), I picked up some at a Timberland outlet store (slightly blemished, but regular quality). I noticed they were now made in China (don't know if it's changed since then), but didn't hesitate since they were also on sale for what seemed like a good price. While they might not be as poor as some shoes from China, the reduced quality was noticeable in about 6 months: first the leather layer in the floor bed separated from the shoe, sliding all around (I had to use crazy glue to keep it in place). Then they scuffed much more easily. Then water seeped in despite maintaining them as I had the 2 previous pairs. Then the seems started to unravel, shoe laces broke, eyelets fell off. The sole became slippery...all in less than 3 years. I was even wearing them less than my old pairs because of the problems.

Despite liking Timberland's sizing (they accommodate my larger, particularly wider feet better), I stopped buying Timberland because they shifted production out of the US (with a noticeable drop in quality) while keeping their prices high. I don't mind paying a premium for a good shoe, I do mind paying premium for junk.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, well-made, terribly uncomfortable, April 19, 2013
I bought a pair of these handmades 6 months ago. They're very sturdy and keep your feet dry in light slush and wet grass. The soles provide great traction in snow and ice. Unfortunately they're extremely stiff and uncomfortable-even after 6 months of trying to break them in. Particularly painful are the insoles which are padded with something that has no give, so it feels like a marble under the balls of your feet, which becomes painful after a while. I WS only able to compress the pushing with a wood clamp, but it returned to it's uncomfortable original shape. The soles, by the way, have started to squeak loudly, so forget wearing them in a store or a social setting. They sound like ducks quacking.

I bought my shoes directly from Timberland, and tried to return them after two weeks (mistakenly thinking I could break them in). Timberlandrefused and said iI should take it up with their warranty department. The warranty department didn't respond to my email.

1.0 out of 5 stars Never Again, December 25, 2012
I started buying these shoes thirty or forty years ago, when they were still being made in the U.S. Back then the soles never came unglued, as they do now, nor as with my latest pair, were the sides so high that they bite into my ankles....never again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Shoes, October 14, 2013

The ones I received are made in Haiti. In the past they have come from various countries. This par seems very well-made - straight with no defects in the stitching.

One problem I have had over the years is separation of the upper from the welt. I wish there was some remedy to this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timberlands Are Still Great!, October 6, 2013
I have been buying these for 20+ years now. I know this sounds a little out there, but I always have 2 pair--1 well-worn pair (these shoes last practically forever--mine are over 5 years old) and 1 newer, nicer-looking ones. I rotate them as needed.

The quality of these shoes has not diminished at all. They are very well made and the materials are of high quality.

They just slip on and are a really comfortable casual shoe that I literally wear almost every day. I highly recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon customer service is like no other, November 13, 2010
Hiren (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I bought the Burgundy Color Boat Shoe. The shoes have a good solid build to them. Good value for money. I paid $86.63 and within a week the price dropped to $73.61. The initial customer service rep said they could not do anything. I called again and the level 2 customer service gave me the price difference. +1 for Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Shoes Ever!, January 21, 2014
I really don't know why they called Boat Shoes, they are great all around, good looking leather shoes. The lug soles are good on the lawn, on sand & the woods. They also look great dinning out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon sent me defective shoes knowing I am an overseas buyer., September 9, 2013
My anticipation has being marred by the defective shoe Amazon sent to me. It is an eye sore there one of the lace eyelet are dropping out and deformed, with the leather beside badly chipped. I can show a photo here as evident. It looks like someone had used a sharp object to dig the eyelet out, where it becomes deformed and is pretty sharp.

The pair of shoes is probably a returned item or mishandled by the staff, yet they send it to me knowing that I am an overseas buyer using forwarding service. I dont believe Timberland has got no Quality Control on their products. I actually used some discount coupons for the purchase which further brought down my paying price. Now, with this eye sore, it gonna cost me $91 to get a refund since I have to send from abroad, or it gonna cost me $119 for a replacement. Totally waste of my money.

Brakdown of my delivery cost for either refund or replacement:
- It costed me $28 to have the item forwarded to me which I already paid.
- It will cost me $63 to send the defective item back to Amazon.

For refund - $28+$63 = $91
For replacement - $28+$63+$28 = $119

Amazon customer service actually offered to partial refund me $18 which is 25% of $72, the sale price I got, and I have yet to accept the partial refund. The customer service suggested getting them to repair it locally but stop short of saying who will foot the bill for repair. Or do they means $18 for repair? If it can be repaied but cost alot more, who will foot the bill? I cannot fathom how this suggestion can be made since when can you patch back a chip off on the leather, probably about 5mm in size and depth of 1-2mm? I hope they are not thinking of patching it like what you do for welding metal or soldering.

Honestly, what good does it make for an eye sore especially when you will be kept reminded how you are high handedly managed by some big company?

So buyers from aborad, please be warned and I have a few friends who have similar complains. By the way, these shoes are Made in Haiti. Also, as the customer service is out-sourced to India, you have a variety of support level coming from them, while half can be pretty nonchalent to your issue, some do make an attempt to read what you are saying. I always sense that they do not quite understand what I was writing, and it usually takes a few emails before someone can actually understand the issue cause I have to repeat and bring them to the main points repeatedly. And now Amazon customer service has stopped responding and it shows how high handed approach they take toward their customer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Low Quality and High Price!, January 17, 2010
Bigmac (Florida, United States) - See all my reviews
These shoes cost about $90 and Timberland can not even cough up the $2 to waterproof them. To add insult to injury, the footbeds are as thin as a piece of paper.
One could buy Rockport, Nunn Bush, Florsheim, Deer Stags, etc. all for a lower price and all of them would be more comfortable and waterproofed!

Timberland Men's Icon Three-Eye Classic Lug Chukka Boot