5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Comfortable but Run Large
After the 37th snowstorm this year, my old boots were no longer cutting it in the Boston slime in every street. I had been interested in getting the traditional LL Bean boot, but it had been out of stock all winter. So when I saw these on sale, I decided to give it a shot.

Published on February 7, 2011 by Elliott Flah

1.0 out of 5 stars Tend to run large and the Marketplace vendor is a crook
Buying shoes online is always chancy. You can't tell if they fit or not until you try them on. For that reason, Amazon and many other merchants allow free returns. As it turned out the boots were too large for me. I was surprised since I have two other new pairs of Timberland shoes that fit perfectly.

So, I requested a return. The vendor, Frankels of Brooklyn...
Published on December 15, 2011 by Bob Walter

1.0 out of 5 stars Tend to run large and the Marketplace vendor is a crook, December 15, 2011
Bob Walter (Seattle WA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

So, I requested a return. The vendor, Frankels of Brooklyn NY sent me an email with return instructions. I was very surprised to find that they charge $10 for a return. Add the $20 UPS charge to ship it back to them and you are looking at a big penalty for online shopping.

But that's not all. Frankels notified Amazon that they shipped my boots (which triggers my credit card being charged) but failed to ship for nearly a week after that. Pretty dishonest.

If you want these boots, check to see if the vendor is Frankels. If it is, go elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Comfortable but Run Large, February 7, 2011

These boots are very comfortable and surprisingly warm. They don't appear to have a lot of insulation but somehow maintain the warmth inside better than other boots with gore-tex and heavy padding. The material on the outside is very slick looking, and the roughed up texture is pleasant to look at. They are adequately waterproof, being able to stand up to a hike through the snow, but I don't advise spending too long hanging out in water. Unlike some other boots, the tongue is not attached the entire way up the boot, so liquid can leak in after about 4 inches.

Keep in mind though, they run VERY large. Order a full size below your normal shoe, and even then, thick socks may come in handy. But with that one quibble, a hearty recommendation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Trouble getting right size, March 4, 2008
These boots were exactly what my 17-year-old son wanted, but when we ordered his regular shoe size, they were way too big. He needed them for a trip, so we didn't have time to exchange them by mail. He tried on two other pairs at a local sporting goods store, and ended up with a full size smaller than his regular shoe size. I wish that the website had provided advice on sizing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice, November 2, 2009
These are some serious boots. Waterproof, sturdy leather, great traction, etc. The tongue is stitched to the rest of the boot so water can't seep in. The padded ankle is definitely a nice touch. I'm very pleased with the quality overall and would definitely buy another pair when these eventually wear out.

For sizing, I typically wear a size 12 for sneakers (size 11 for Chuck Taylors). I ended up buying size 11.5 and they fit comfortably with room for a pair of thick socks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fake/Counterfeit?, May 12, 2013

After wearing it for just 10 days, the heel of my left boot had split open. I cannot believe Timberland would make such a poor quality product under their brand name. Worse of all, the window for return has closed and I cannot get a refund or exchange!

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT fake, Timberland company has changed. Bring back the quality!, November 13, 2013
Instead of repeating the same experience, I'm going to borrow from other reviewers.

Exert from Amazon Review for Timberland Men's 6" Premium Scuffproof Boot by Spain:
Wrong Style - Wrong Leather
"The boot that was sent to me by Amazon is a different leather, and different style #. The different version on Amazon feels like sandpaper, whereas the Timberland style 10061 feels more like suede. Style 10061 has better padding inside and is made in the Dominican Republic. The Amazon version is made in China."

Exert from Amazon Review for Timberland Men's 6" Premium Boot by Alvin Lee:
Fake/Counterfeit?
"Just got around to wearing my Timberland boots ordered from Amazon two weeks back. On closer inspection, the built quality seems to be poorer than those I saw in the retail store. At first I thought it could be due to the different factory it comes from (Those in retail stores in Singapore are made in Vietnam while the one I ordered from Amazon was made in Dominican Republic)."

Exert from Amazon Review for Timberland Men's 6" Premium Boot by "drakenX":
not like they used to be made
"I love timberland boots, I've been wearing them for the past 5 years and overall I was very satisfied with them. However this last pair that I bought disappointed me a bit though. I've had to send them back after a few months because I was getting a very annoying sound from each one on every step I took. The return was easy, and I got my refund. I bought a new pair at a store, and have been wearing them for about 6 months now, but I a starting to get the same sound of one of the pairs. This issue needs solving fast."

Add in all of Timberland one-star reviews given from 2012 to present (November 2013), which make up almost all of Timberland's one-star reviews. The most frequently ranked Timberland boots have many of these bad reviews, which are easily found as they appear among the top reviews for being marked "helpful." So, is Amazon selling counterfeit Timberlands or are we seeing a down turn in the quality of these awesome boots? Timberland and Amazon representatives have stated that the Timberland brand sold on Amazon is a verified Timberland product. If you are in doubt, call Timberland with your product in hand and they can help you check.

On the other hand, the New York Times published an article on June 13, 2011 entitled "VF Corporation to buy Timberland." ([...] Apparently Timberland slipped into tough times around 2006 ([...] then recently, due largely to rising material costs, it took a sharper turn downhill, suffering losses until VF Corporation bought the company in June 2011.

This merger added Timberland to VF Corp's amalgamation of outdoorsy-type brands such as Vans, Lee, Jansport and The North Face. And this big change for Timberland brought other changes by VF Corp, a company driven to make big brands even bigger. The NY Times article reported that "VF [Corp] executives appeared confident that it could wring profits by improving Timberland's business performance, primarily by folding it into the apparel giant's global platform and cutting costs." By the end of 2011, VF Corp "expect[ed] to reap benefits from the Timberland deal."

It appears that Amazon sells the same Timberlands that are sold in retail stores, but that either overall quality or quality control (or both) have suffered in the merger. Based on recent reviews and my recent experience, VF Corp is not sustaining the classic American, well-built, all-day-everyday-boot reputation that the Timberland name earned. Bring back the high standard that the Timberland working boot deserves!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice boots, November 11, 2009
Pete (Arlington Heights, IL) - See all my reviews
Pretty nice boots but the sizes are different from other brands. Typically a 9.5 fits perfect. These were way to big.
Better off going to a store and trying them on first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviewer, September 30, 2012
The product matches the description and I am very happy with my purchase. The comments about ordering the product in a half size smaller were absolutely correct. If you are a size 10 order a size 9.5 and it should fit well. So far the boots have held up well and I am planning on purchasing another pair.

3.0 out of 5 stars not like they used to be made, May 15, 2008

These boots are great for people who like to walk a lot, and not nesecarely walking on concrete. I just hope the quality gets back to where it used to be.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Experience, Used Damaged boots sent, December 29, 2012
I opened this package and these boots were damaged, the toes of both boots had black scuff marks & one had a deep cut in it, boots looked like were used and returned. Wasn't enough time to reorder, ship & receive a new one b4 Christmas. Had to search several stores within 65 miles to find another size 11 boot. Then, all sales had ended and had to pay full price for it. This was a horrible experience. I do not recommend this company to anyone and I will not be buying from this site again.

Timberland Men's 10061 6" Premium Boot,Wheat,10.5 M