5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Boot. Couldnt be happier.
Published on November 8, 2011 by FREEMAN

3.0 out of 5 stars Updated review
Published on February 21, 2012 by Bigfoot

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Boot. Couldnt be happier., November 8, 2011
Fantastic product. Just received today and tried on. I have a similar pair that I purchased a couple months ago that are mid height. They come up right passed the ankle for hiking and summer time outdoor activities. I was looking for a pair that I could use for winter time. These fit the bill. I normally wear a 10 or 10 1/2 sneaker. I normally run a little smaller in boots so I decided to try the 9 1/2. They fit perfectly. So I would advise going a 1/2 size smaller than what you would normally wear. they look durable as hell and having goretex incorporated in them, just like the other pair I own, i trust that they are going to be waterproof. If I have any future problems, I will come back on and edit this review. But from where I'm sitting right now, I'm thrilled with the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far I like them, November 18, 2011
I never have purchased shoes online, always figured it was something I would want to try first, but this sale came up on these boots and I rolled the dice. Typical quick shipping by Amazon, which is so common its boring, until things don't ship as expected than I get cranky! I have never worn boots this high on the leg, over the ankle before, but I loved a pair of Timberlands shoes I bought over 10 years ago (still going, if not strong after a puppy attack at the 7 year point, at least holding on and they are so comfortable I can't bear the idea of getting rid of them), so wanted to give these a try. They are not too heavy, compared to dedicated hiking boots I own, yet provide pretty firm support for the ankle. The first day I wore them they were fine till about the 4-5 hour point and than my right leg started hurting right where they leg meets the top of the shoe, not horrible pain, but annoying level pain. Was worried this would not be a good fit, but figured all decent weight and supportive boots I have ever owned have needed some level or breaking in, so I kept at it. Another day or two of 5-8 hour each day and the pain was gone, either I got used to the contact or the shoe broke in a bit or both. Now I can go all day with them without discomfort. They seem very well made, have not tested the waterproof part and live in pretty warm area so don't know about the warmth factor. But for wearing all day for work when I am walking around they have been nice, and I bet they get better with age, when someday they will fit "like an old shoe". Very happy I picked these up on the gold box special. Hope they hold up as well as my last pair of Timberlands.
Pros - Look very nice, comfortable after some break in, light in weight, appear well made. I wear a size 9 for 80% of shoes, ordered a 9 and they fit fine.
Cons - Mild pain first 2 times I wore (but have never worn boots this high so maybe my acclimation), shoelaces similar to last several boots/shoes I have gotten, they don't seem to adhere to themselves and loosen almost instantly unless I double knot, but this seems typical with these laces these days, not sure why, but it does irritate me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Updated review, February 21, 2012
This review is from: Timberland Men's Chocorua 8" Gore-Tex Boot (Apparel)
I purchased these boots based on great reviews here and on other websites. Right out of the box, they seemed about the weight I expected- not as heavy as an all leather boot, but not "light". The sole is rigid and not very flexible. Stitching and overall construction appeared solid. Also the nylon trim on color "dark brown" is not tobacco/lighter brown as shown, but shiny olive green.

Trying them on, they were pretty uncomfortable; tight around the instep, both in height and width, and a little narrow at the toes. Minimal arch support was too far forward and pressed against the ball of my foot. Removing the footbeds bought some room and a good deal of relief... the footbed sides curve up and were trying to roll my feet into a tube. However, ankle support is phenomenal.

They are still just borderline comfortable, I'll have to put some of my own inserts in and see how it goes with some break-in time.

By the way, holding these sole to sole with another same size hiking boots, the Timerlands are both shorter and narrower. So I'd suggest going a half size bigger if possible. Or getting a different boot altogether... my recommendation is the Hi-Tec 'Altitude IV', probably the most comfortable boot I've ever put on.

***UPDATE 5/14/2012***
Okay I gotta admit these turned out to be decent boots. I threw away the original inserts and replaced them with inexpensive gel ones. It took about 3 miles to work some flex/stretch into the uppers. I still have to keep zero lace tension on the lower half, and after my last 6 mile hike I got red marks where the boots press against my big toe knuckle (but not painful, and no blister or lost skin)... that's with a wicking athletic sock, not a thick boot sock. My feet got sorta tired the last mile. They did very well over treacherous ankle-twisting terrain. So, changed my rating to 3 stars...

2.0 out of 5 stars Great, for a while..., August 12, 2012
This review is from: Timberland Men's Chocorua 8" Gore-Tex Boot (Apparel)
I got these boots several months ago and was thrilled at first with them. They are great, really comfortable and waterproof. The problem came after about a month and a handful of hikes the side seam blew out about 3 inches down the side, leaving a massive hole in the side that any water at all just runs right into. After a round of Gorilla glue and another week of hikes the laces cut themselves on the metal eyelets.

5.0 out of 5 stars No regrets, April 25, 2012
I was apprehensive about ordering boots online. I am a contractor in Afghanistan and really did not have a choice. After wearing these boots for a month I can honestly say it was a very good purchase. The boots have performed as promised. They fit exactly my regular shoe size. They are very comfortable and light weight. They have proven to be 100% water proof. I walk on rocks and dirt for 15 hours a day and have had no sore spots or rubbing. I purchased a second pair just in case these get worn out. I highly recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly comfortable boot., April 20, 2012
This is my second pair of Timberlands. These boots appear heavy, but are not. They are well built and offer great ankle support. (Something I really need) I don't just wear them for hiking, but for every day use at work. A great many boots boast of being waterproof but fall short of letting you step in a creek and coming out dry. These boots ARE waterproof. Great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars great comfort ,great price, February 2, 2012
I HAVE HAD THESE BOOTS FOR A MONTH AND HAVE WORN THEM ABOUT 6 TIMES. FIRT THING I NOTICED WAS TRACTION AND COMFORT WERE OUTSTANDING. NEVER SLIPPED OR SKIDDED EVEN IN A BRISK WALK OO 3IN OF SNOW ON TOP OF A THIN SHEET OF ICE!!! WALDED ABOUT 4 MILES ANOTHER TIME IN 20 DEGREE WINDY DAY --MY FEET NEVER GOT COLD--BOOTS ARE INSULATED WITH THINSULATE MATERIAL FOR BOOTS. I HAVE SPENT ABOUT TWICE WHAT I PAID FOR THESE TIMBERLANDS--AND THESE HAVE IT ALL--AND ARE A JOY TO WALK IN.OTHER MORE EXPENSIVE PRODUCTS I HAVE OWNED FELT GOOD FOR A MILE OR 2--AND THEN I NOTICED THEY WERE NOT THAT COMFORTABLE ALL--NOT WITH THESE--GLAD I DID NOT SPLURGE AND GET A MORE EXPENSIVE PRODUCT THAT WILL NOT DO HALF WHAT THESE TIMBERLANDS DO!!! GOOD WORK

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, comfortable and rugged, October 1, 2013
Pecos Bill (Gaithersburg, MD United States) - See all my reviews
So far these have been the perfect boot. They're warm, comfortable to wear and walk in, have good traction and seem rugged. I used to like the Corcoran brand which I originally bought on base years ago and have replaced through online purchases a couple times but it's getting harder to find the ones I liked online. Frankly with the Gore-Tex liner I suspect these boots will ultimately be better anyway.

Takes a little breaking in but they're my daily-wear boot now and so far so good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and lightweight, December 7, 2012
I walk for a living, through yards and cross-country. I've worn out three pairs of Timberland Chocorua Gore-Tex Hikers, the lower-cut version of this boot. Each pair lasted about a year and a half - that's the equivalent of several years for normal wearing.

So far with these they've been as comfortable as the lower ones and seem to give me a little more confidence about my ankles. They're only slightly heavier than the lower ones and they're still lighter by far than most boots out there.

They would make great backpacking boots. They're made for walking. Just don't buy them for working with a shovel - they're not meant for that type of work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love 'em, January 28, 2012
Mudit Gupta (Mountain View, CA) - See all my reviews
Surprisingly light and look great. Good hiking shoe - maintains grip in all conditions and provides good ankle support. The sole does not get clogged. I often wear them even when I'm not hiking (without lacing them all the way up) and they are quite comfortable.

Timberland Men's Chocorua 8" Gore-Tex Boot