5.0 out of 5 stars Best boots for the bucks
Published on March 29, 2007 by G. M. Waid

1.0 out of 5 stars Great shoe but a major flaw in the design
Published on June 28, 2009 by Jesse B Bartholomew

5.0 out of 5 stars Best boots for the bucks, March 29, 2007
I bought my first pair of these boots in October 2005 and just replaced them with another pair today (March 2007). The old ones had about 1700 miles on them and were getting a bit worn out. My job involves walking most of the day through people's yards and sometimes cross-country. These boots are light, comfortable right out of the box, and waterproof. In nearly 31 years on the job I've never had any boots as comfortable as these, and I've worn just about all the brands out there.

I'm also a backpacker and would recommend these for all but the toughest hikes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Light, rugged, yet comfortable., December 26, 2007
This is one of the lightest yet most well constructed pair of boots I've worn recently. My GF got them for me recently since she saw them on my Amazon.com wishlist, and I am thankful she did. These boots feel so light they almost feel like they give my running shoes a run for their money in weight. I almost feel asleep with them on and barely noticed as I was dozing off they were still on.

I've yet to use them in inclement weather as I have so many other light and medium duty hiking boots, but just from how they feel and how they are constructed, I doubt they'll do badly. They vent well so my feet stay dry, and they look great. Tread grip is typical for the type, especially being so new.

The one concern I was wary of were the two top lace metal grooves above ankle height. I've had boots that had similar lace grooves, and they were made of thin gauge stamped metal most of the time, and they would end up breaking off after a few months of wear due to metal fatigue and stress. The lace grooves on this boot are of a somewhat heavier gauge and they aren't stamped either. I doubt I'll have a similar problem with them as I have experienced in the past, but if I do, I'll definitely post about it here.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great shoe but a major flaw in the design, June 28, 2009
Okay I have bought two different versions of this shoe one in black the other in brown leather with green nylon. Both were incredibly comfortable. I loved them for the time I could wear them. However, that was only for four days. Seems in order to save some money (on a 120 dollar shoe this amazed me) Timberland decided to use bent metal eyelets for the shoe strings on the lower half of the shoe rather than a more durable cast eyelets or simple punched eyelets. Note I'm not talking about the hooks on the upper half but the lower portion. After wearing them for four days the eyelet broke at one of the bends. This type of quality fits well for the 50$ or under crowd but the 100$ or higher I just couldn't believe it. Also, note this was the second pair not the first, as the first one came with the eyelet already broken. They were so comfortable that I gave them a second chance. Unless Timberland replaces my eyelets with cast ones I'll be returning these and won't be giving them a third chance. These boots are for those trendy types who want to look like the outdoors type at the clubs but are not for the outdoors. Stay away from these boots as your hiking could be ruined if the eyelets fail at a bad time.

Side note I've been wearing Timberland workbooks for the past 6 months with punched eyelets and have had no problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Boots I Ever Owned, September 10, 2010
Edited on 6/2011 to add: These boots just climbed its namesake, Mt Chocorua in the White Mountain Forest of New Hampshire, an strenuous 8 mile, 7 hour, 2,000 foot climb and my feet were fine. Also, a month before I wore them on a more strenuous hike, Mt Lafayette along the Franconia Ridge Walk in the White Mountain Forest - a 9 mile, 11 hour (for me), 3,900 foot climb to an elevation of 5,300 feet - the best hike with the best views ever, boot hikes strongly recommended if in the area. Anyway, these boots, along with hiking socks, kept my feet comfortable with zero complaints.

The Timberline Chicorua boots are sturdy, comfortable and waterproof. I had owned a pair of the slightly less expense Timberland White Ledge boots for over 4 years which have identical bottom and I loved them. For my replacement boots I decided to move up to the next model in the line, the Chicorua, because of the slightly taller support around the ankle and the Gore-Tex membrane which makes them more breathable. My first test was a 4 mile mountain hike over rocky terrain and they felt great without any previous break-in period. I have now used them for backcountry hiking up rough terrain in the White Mountains and Acadia National Park on a 10 day trip and my feet never felt better during or after the hike - no complaints at all, these are the best boots I ever owned!!!

Tip 1: As soon as you get these boots rub the leather with some mink oil and repeat a few times year. This will keep them waterproof and insure the leather doesn't dry or crack and will extend their useful life. I did this with my last pair of Timberlines and the leather still looks great after over 4 years.

Tip 2: For serious hikes do not use cheap cotton socks. Instead either use wool socks in winter or Hiking Socks. Hiking socks, like Thorlo are expensive but well worth it because they not only wick away moisture, which cotton does not, but also provides much better cushioning that reduce shear and impact forces so your feet feel great and minimizes the potential for blisters. The weak link of a good boot is the socks - it took me years to realize this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as they used to be, August 2, 2013
Many years ago I had this same pair of boots that lasted me for a very long time, and when they finally started falling apart I didn't hesitate to order a new pair. Well I don't remember where the first pair I owned were made, but I'm certain now it wasn't China like the new ones seem to be. On the plus side, they still fit really well and are extremely comfortable (I need boots that are a bit larger than standard) but they fall apart like wet tissue paper now.

The first pair I bought was in July of 2012. Within only 1 day of normal use the inner cloth lining of the boots started separating from the outer shell! After that started to happen, it made the boots feel very strange when you walked around, kinda tight now that the liner was pushing up against your foot. I don't know if this is just a problem with the larger pairs (I use a size 12) or what, but it's definitely not acceptable, especially after only 1 day of regular walking. Needless to say, I returned them a few days later and just thought I had a defective pair.

After I returned them I ordered a pair of Timberland's White Ledge boots instead, which fit very nice just like the Chocoruas, but fell apart after only 6 months or so. So here we are in July of 2013 and I tried yet again to get these boots, as I really used to like them, hoping that they would have fixed their manufacturing issues. Nope. Same exact problems the ones I had bought previously, with the inner liner separating the very first day of use.

I give up. I won't ever buy a pair of Timberlands again as they don't seem to care about quality control anymore.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed -stitches broke quickly, November 20, 2011
My husband took them on a trip abroad and after wearing the shoes for one day, the stitches broke. Since we were on the trip I was not able to return them and instead we got them fixed. To my surprise, after another week of wearing, more stitches broke. I'm very disappointed with the quality for the price paid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great boots, December 9, 2008
Hiked for a week in Glacier National Park and the Canadian Rockies and they were comfortable the entire time. I've also taken them hiking through 6 inches of melting Wisconsin snow in the spring time, and they kept my feet warm and dry. I'd definitely buy these again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Boots I've ever owned, November 19, 2009
Robert Benson (long island N.Y.) - See all my reviews
I work for a lumber company and have worn work boots for the past 30 years.

I use to buy the cheaper boots found in most chain type stores. I decided I wanted to find a true WATERPROOF work boot. I went to a speciality store that carried a large varity of waterproof boots. I need a wide width and they could be hard to find.

The Timberland Chocurua Trail boots fit great & were extremly comfortable right out of the box. No need to break them in. I wore them 10 hours the 1st day with no discomfort what so ever.

The 1st week I had walked thru a large mudhole so when I got home I pulled out the garden hose and sprayed the entire boot down. No water seepage. I thought for sure my feet would get a little wet but that wasn't the case.

I wore these for about a year and I'm now on my second pair. As they say you get what you pay for.

If your looking for a true waterproof boot with great comfort kick out the few extra bucks and give these a try. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent boot, December 13, 2007
Jon F (Glendale, CA United States) - See all my reviews
These boots are some of the most comfortable shoes of any kind that I have ever worn. The boots look great and the lacing system is superb. The Gore-tex lining makes a difference in comfort and dryness even when wearing them to the office. You're ready to take off most shoes at the end of the day, but you feel as though you could leave these on indefinitely. What more can be said?

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, Now that's a comfortable boot, November 1, 2006
Troy Edwards (MANCHESTER, NH USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have very wide feet. On top of that, I have arthritis pretty bad in one foot. So I need a wide shoe, with plenty of room in the toe region.

Columbia's "Wide" pinches in at the tip of the toes

The Rockport "Wide" was fairly comfortable, however...

The Timberland's "Wide" was a great fit with mucho toe room.

cons:

Some people might thing there is too much toe room. When pulling heavy equipment, I feel the front of my foot sliding a bit in the boot.

Timberland Men's Chocorua Gore-Tex Hiker