5.0 out of 5 stars The Classic Continues

Published on October 31, 2009 by M. J. Civello

2.0 out of 5 stars Hardly Classic, October 31, 2009
M. J. Civello (Gurnee, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Timberland Men's Classic Boat Shoe (Apparel)
Timberland once made fantastic boat shoes. They used Vibram for the soles and they had true deck soles that lasted for 5+ yrs. But they lost there way. Now the "boat" shoe they produce is not fit for the deck. They've padded everything and built up the insole so getting them wet is an ugly affair. These are now common street shoes. The "Classic" had me hoping for more throwback than just the basic style. Get me back to 1995 so I can buy 10 pair of the real thing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't love these., March 17, 2011
This review is from: Timberland Men's Classic Boat Shoe (Apparel)
These boat shoes do look fabulous. Really very nice looking shoes. But despite all of their padding, they're pretty uncomfortable.

The soles have traction build into them, which was nice for a boat shoe. Unfortunately the soles split along the traction pretty quickly. I had these shoes maybe 4 months before the sole split on one shoe, and the other split soon after. The stitching on the top of one of the shoes also started giving out pretty quickly.

All in all, sharp looking, but the lowest overall quality boat shoe I've ever worn.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lifetime customer - but no more, December 16, 2012
This review is from: Timberland Men's Classic Boat Shoe (Apparel)
I've been wearing this Timberland shoe for the past 50 years. The Timberland Classic Boat Shoe. Probably gone through at least 15 pair of them. When they were worn out for street wear, they'd go in the garage for yard work and new ones would take their place in the closet. But never again. This last pair really showed me what happens to a company when they no longer care about their customers. The lacing is cheap, the sole is junk, and even the insole is just a flimsy piece of some kind of cloth that bunches up each time you slip your foot into the shoe. This shoe morphed from a true classic to a piece of junk in the last 5 years. If I could go back in time, I'd buy 20 pair from 10 years ago but I wouldn't buy another pair of these today on a bet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy these shoes, April 29, 2014
These boat shoes are horrible. I have owned several Timberland shoe products over the years and am still wearing an old pair of "boat shoes". The new shoes I ordered were size 11.5 M, same as my old shoes. The new shoes are so much smaller I could barely get my feet in them. They are nearly an inch shorter and the toe is over a half inch narrower. The sole is much thinner and the total height of the new shoe makes it feel like a slipper. The overall quality of materials and workmanship is very inferior. For an old guy who has been wearing Top Siders, Rockports and Timberland for over 25 years this is a major disappointment. I will never order another pair of Timberland products of any kind unless I try them on in a store.

2.0 out of 5 stars At first blush, these are surprisingly uncomfortable., September 9, 2010
This review is from: Timberland Men's Classic Boat Shoe (Apparel)
One of the great things about deck shoes is that, one expects, they are immediately wearable. That is to say that they can be comfortably worn for long periods almost immediately.
I've previously owned about a dozen pairs of them (Bass, Dexter, Sperry and one pair of Brand X) all of which were, as I said, almost immediately comfortable.
This pair of shoes is different which I put down to two reasons, stiff upper and hard sole but let's do the bad stuff later; first the good stuff.
1) These shoes look reasonably well made.
2) These shoes are not entirely unattractive.

Yep, that's about it. They don't look awful and they look pretty well made. I like a different toe shape and they are Made in the Dominican Republic (at least it's not China) so they probably aren't as well made as they could be if they were Made In USA.

The bad stuff is that the upper part of the right shoe near where the tongue meets the body immediately dug in to my foot and caused me to take them off after only about an hour. The next time I wore them this issue was not nearly so pronounced but after standing in them constantly for a couple of hours the soles of my feet were actually sore from the stiff, unforgiving soles. My third time wearing them was less uncomfortable but I was still quite surprised at how uncomfortable they remain and that it is taking so long for these shoes to break in. It is possible that this means that they are going to last a long time but I have to say that my Bass deck shoes lasted for a couple of years and were immediately comfortable (which is probably why these Made in USA shoes were taken out of production, they were just too good). I'll be surprised if these turn out to be as durable, and greatly disappointed if they remain uncomfortable.
I'll check in with a comment in a few months, perhaps.

1.0 out of 5 stars I hate them - Not the shoe pictured, April 22, 2014
I'm very disappointed, the shoes I got look nothing like the one pictured here. The color is pretty much the only thing that's the same. The soles are more like those you'd find on Timberland boots. The area around the ankle is padded and doesn't take the shape of your foot even when the laces are drawn tight. This is not a boat shoe, they belong on a construction site. I'll never buy another pair of Timberlands again.

-----

This is what was shipped to me (Timberland Men's Icon 3-Eye Classic Lug Chukka Boot):
Timberland Men's Icon 3-Eye Classic Lug Chukka Boot

5.0 out of 5 stars The Classic Continues, April 4, 2012
This is the second pair of Timberland boat shoes I've owned. The first pair lasted 15yrs. When I received these new shoes I was excited to find they are still made the same way, stitches through to the first layer of sole, all quality leather uppers, and quality materials and construction all around. They added some additional inside heel padding and a small pad at the top of the tongue, but all in all, it's the same pair of shoes. Considering how amazing the first pair lasted, these should fair as well. Definitely good looking shoes and feel great on the foot. Come with the same great soles as well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Size is quite unfit, January 5, 2014
The back is too large and can't hold the heel. Don't know why the design is like that. I'm disappointed for the purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Uncomfortable as can be, June 9, 2014
Hard sole, really hard, , very bad padding inside if you could call them pads?????

they look nice butare very very HARD

Get Sperry instead

1.0 out of 5 stars Inconsistent Timberland sizes, April 29, 2014
The sole of this shoe is over a half-inch shorter than a very comfortable pair of Timberland Boat Shoes (similar, but not identical) of the same size (11.5) that I purchased a few years ago. I thought I'd be safe buying the same size from the same manufacturer.

Timberland Men's Classic Boat Shoe