1,173 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable, Comfortable, and Long Lasting
Published on September 10, 2010

2.0 out of 5 stars Less than happy with my boots
I bought these to replace my aging HiTec Altitude leather boots. I looooved those boots.

But I thought I'd try these as I figured they'd be the same, and because they're Timberlands, maybe even better.

In every way they're worse. Where do I start?

The sole is flimsy...I can feel rocks thru it when I'm hiking. HiTec were much better...
Published on March 6, 2012 by Ryan del Mundo

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable, Comfortable, and Long Lasting, September 10, 2010
A Kid's Review
I had owned a pair of these for over four years and they never let me down. I use them for all types of hiking form the Alaska to Yellowstone, from the White Mountains in NH to the Great Smoky Mountains in the south. Always comfortable and water resistant. After over 4 years of on and off use the bottoms are wearing out and the leather, which is still in great condition, is beginning to separate from the sole on one of the boots. Comfortable fit and long lasting for a great price. I just replaced them with a pair of Timberline Chocorua boots which have the identical bottom but slightly higher ankle support and a Gore-Tex liner for better breathing. Both of these boots are great and if you don't mind spending a few more dollars consider the Chocorua line for the above reasons, you can't go wrong with either.

Tip 1: As soon as you get these boots rub the leather with some mink oil and repeat a few times year. This will keep them waterproof and insure the leather doesn't dry or crack and will extend their useful life. I did this with my pair of Timberlines and the leather is still soft and water resistant after almost five years.

Tip 2: For serious hikes do not use cheap cotton socks. Instead either use wool socks in winter or Hiking Socks. Hiking socks, like Thorlo are expensive but well worth it because they not only wick away moisture, which cotton does not, but also and provides much better cushioning to reduce shear and impact forces so your feet feel great and minimizes the potential for blisters. The weak link of a good boot is the socks - it took me years to realize this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Been through it all; best boots I've ever owned, March 2, 2013
Peter Gunga (Cornell University) - See all my reviews
It's hard for me to say enough great things about these boots. I initially bought them while I was in college in upstate NY, where winters are long and snowy and springs are wet and muddy. I thought they were a decent-looking pair of comfortable boots i wouldn't mind wearing to class on poor-weather days. What I never expected was how well and how long they would perform in a wide range of fairly demanding scenarios.

Not only have I worn them walking up hill to class, but I have put countless miles hiking in the Adirondacks in NY, Green Mountains in VT, White Mountains in NH, desert hills in Baja California and snowy treks in Utah. Plus I have worn them 4-wheeling, mountain biking and fishing (ankle-deep submerged for extended periods of time), all without ever having a problem or wishing I had a different pair!

Last year my parents' and grandparents' houses flooded, and I spent hundreds of hours working in the water, mud, sand, you name it, carrying refrigerators, washer/dryers, kitchen sinks, etc. out of their houses. I never had a leak or rolled an anke, or even felt sore in my feet. They have fabulous support, padded ankles, durable natural leather, and are incredibly lightweight. What more could you need in a boot??!!

I often go out looking for new hiking boots, thinking that a more technical pair would suit my outdoor activities. But after almost 5 years of wearing them, I could not be happier and just bought my second pair. I can't wait to see where they take me!

As a side note, I was on the phone with my Dad the other day, who said he had to go help someone with a new property on top of hill (it's winter). He mentioned that he tore through his last pair and didn't have an real boots, so I told him to look in the back of my closet for a pair of beat up brown Timberlands (the ones I bought in college 5 years ago)... He reported that they were fantastic and asked if he could keep wearing them. So even 5 years old second-hand these things perform like a champ.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy On Your Feet:, September 6, 2008
Bought these shoes at the recommendation of a coworker. I work in construction and a light tough shoe is a must. Building mostly steel clad pole structure means we walk on steel roof sheeting, and a soft sticky sole is a must, this shoe fills that bill well. I put these on the day after I received them. Went to work and it was as if I was wearing previously broke in shoes, no blisters, no sore feet. Sure hope they don't change them

5.0 out of 5 stars great boots, October 28, 2007
my second pair, the first pair haven't worn out yet but getting close. these
boots have been to hell and back. great boot for the price!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Less than happy with my boots, March 6, 2012
Ryan del Mundo (San Diego, California) - See all my reviews

In every way they're worse. Where do I start?

The laces are terrible. They're always coming undone. Really? I've had good and bad laces and how can it be they give you slippery bad laces?
Not comfortable. They're just not.
I did a 5 day hike in these things (and yes they were broken in at that point) and my feet were a wreck afterwards.

Wish I'd gone with my old reliable HiTec's. Ah well.

On the good side: they look nice, leather is good. Waterproofing works nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Hiking boots for the money., December 12, 2005
These were the closest replacement for my 2001 'Trail Dust' Hikers that I had (no longer available) and they say are Waterproof but they are talking about the boot itself up to about 3" of water (No splash), the leather itself needs to be protected by Mink Oil or something similar for water repelent to keep from staining the leather with spots. Nice construction and lightweight boots for the money, Thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best for Trails, Not Talus, November 13, 2012
Pros:
- Thick, one piece leather uppers
- Solid bonding of sole to upper
- Comfortable, No Break-in needed
- Color = Dirt
- Good traction in snow, rock and gravel
- Laces that stay tight
- True to size
- Nice padded collar
- Price, about the same as a resole
- Metal, not plastic, lace hooks

Cons:
- No steel foot-bed, too flexible
- One tongue not centered
- Soft rubber sole collects cactus
- Not waterproof

Since I received these in late July I've put over 200-miles on them in 4-12 mile day hikes. Most hikes have been on trails, but a few off trail on steep side slopes and talus. Both off trail uses highlight the weakness of these boots. The lack of a steel foot-bed makes the sole too flexible for comfortable off trail hiking on steep terrain.

The cactus con was a surprise. For miles around my house small prickly pear are common and with leather uppers and Vibram soles I just ignored the cactus. My first hike with these and the soles were filled with a combination of needles and crushed cactus pedals. Basically the sole rubber is too soft to reject the needles, unlike a hard rubber Vibram sole.

The Timberland website claims waterproof, not what I experienced. Took a 4-mile,4-hour hike in 2" of snow where the boot toes were frequently dusted with snow, when I got home my socks were damp. Never experienced that with my Gore-Tex boots.

I'm only mildly disappointed with these boots, they have limitations and I'll need to use them where they are best suited.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality boot for high quality experiences, March 5, 2013
I NEVER write reviews for anything, but I can't say enough good things about these Timberland boots. I bought them before embarking on a trip to Africa over two years ago, and I STILL wear them for any outdoor activity! They are an amazing product- high quality, great functionality and have rugged yet stylish appearance. They remain waterproof in mud or puddles and are exceptionally easy to clean off.

My Timberland boots have been gorilla trekking in Uganda, safaris and canoeing in Kenya, commuting in snowy New York City, as well as visits to the Grand Canyon, White Sands of Utah, Yellowstone National Park, the Rocky's, camping in the Catskill Mountains, and rocking out at a muddy U2 concert in Moncton, Canada. No other product purchased for that original Africa trip has held up as well as these boots. They are worth every penny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For Casual Wear, April 30, 2006
George W. Wilson (Woodbridge, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
I am on my second pair of these boots, and I absolutely love them. The look great, and they are very comfortable for dialy wear. That is why I gave them 5 stars.

If you are looking for a pair of hiking boots, these are NOT what you want. I give them zero stars for hiking. I recently wore these with gel inserts on a 9 mile hike in the Shenandoah National Park and my feet hurt so bad I wanted to die. Needless to say, I will be shopping for a pair of actual hiking shoes now, but when these wear out, I will definately buy another pair for casual wear.

4.0 out of 5 stars walk a mile, November 20, 2013
This review is from: Timberland White Ledge Waterproof Boot (Apparel)
This was my third pair and I love these well made boots. light weight, comfortable out of the box. runs a little hot and doesn't breath well. Very durable.

Timberland White Ledge Waterproof Boot,Brown,10 M