5.0 out of 5 stars Well-Designed, Comfortable & Durable
For reference, I purchased the medium-sized grey/white/grey bag Timbuk2 Commute 2.0. I am using this bag primarily for my daily commute to work (~4 miles roundtrip by bicycle) and air travel.

Published on October 11, 2009 by Snoo

3.0 out of 5 stars Well Designed with Some Obvious Design Shortcomings
After being a frequent flier for the past year with this bag, I like it, but I don't love it.

Published on January 27, 2012 by Ryan Harvey

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-Designed, Comfortable & Durable, October 11, 2009
This review is from: Timbuk2 Commute 2.0 Laptop Messenger Bag (Sports)

This was my first Timbuk2 purchase and at the two month mark I am very pleased. I purchased this bag after my last messenger (Swiss Gear) disappointingly fell apart after about 2 months of moderate use. Just looking at the construction and feeling the quality of materials I can tell the Timbuk2 is going to with me for a long, long time.

I considered a few of the trendier labels (Chrome, Manhattan Portage, Crumpler), but in the end the price, functionality, and aesthetic of the Timbuk2 just fit my personal needs perfectly. In terms of aesthetics, I like that my bag is kinda sporty and fun if I'm using it for leisure, but also businessy enough that I can use it with a shirt and tie. For what it's worth, I managed to snag my bag on the cheap from an Amazon Marketplace seller for $59. :)

Following are a few thoughts I had on the bag:

Construction & Durability (Grade = A)
==========
I've only had the bag for two months, but it has held up perfectly thus far and I envision it still going strong for many years to come. After two months of daily use, it basically still looks and feels like new.

The seamwork, fabric, zippers, and design are all of very high quality, and you can tell just by holding it that the bag was built to last. It might begin to fall apart if you are extremely rough with it or if you are a professional bike courier, but for the average person it'll probably last at least a decade.

Size (M) (Grade = A)
==========
I've been pleasantly surprised at how much my bag (medium) can fit -- I typically carry a Canon EOS 20D DSLR + lens, small laptop & accessories, business papers, a couple books, a spare t-shirt, a whole bevy of electronic gadgets and there is still room for more. My main laptop is pretty small at 13.1" and quite thin, and fits into the laptop pocket with ample space. Do be sure to check your laptop dimensions though... my other laptop is a 15.4" and does not fit in the medium laptop pocket.

Fit & Comfort (Grade = B with stock strap pad, A with Grip Pad)
==========
Initially, I was a bit skeptical that the bag didn't have any way of attaching a cross-strap for stability while riding. For this and for comfort reasons, I decided to purchase the Grip Strap Pad with my bag and I couldn't be happier. In my opinion, the grip pad should be the standard pad that comes with the bag, and is an essential buy to make the bag more comfortable and functional. With the grip pad, the bag hardly ever slips off my back when I'm riding.

The laptop chamber with it's corduroy back padding helps keep the bag from losing its shape. It is firm yet supple, so that the bag feels sturdy and comfortable on your back. With a rigid back, I was afraid the bag would slide around on my back but if the strap is properly adjusted I find the bag to be nicely form fitting and very little unintentional sliding occurs.

Design Features (Grade = B+ as stock, A with Slider Case)
==========
(+) Swivel joints on the strap make it so that the strap hardly ever twists/tangles.
(+) Strap has quick-release adjustment buckle which makes adjusting the strap a cinch.
(+) Good organizational pockets underneath main flap.
(+) Rubber bottom and waterproof fabric lining the main flap.
(+) Corduroy laptop lining keeps laptop safe and allows bag to keep its shape.
(+) Strong and well-positioned handle so it can be carried briefcase-style.
(+) Velcro on main flap keeps flap secure if you're too lazy to buckle/unbuckle.
(+) TSA-approved laptop sleeve makes going through security a little easier.

(-) The Grip Pad probably should have been included as stock.
(-) No quick access pockets on the exterior of the main flap.
This issue was solved for me by purchasing the Slider Case which gives me access to my mp3 player right on my strap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for College, March 27, 2010
I am an ITS major with a lot of gadgets, a laptop, thick manual like books, graphing calculator, and the occasional red bulls/water that I need to carry around on a daily basis. I have had the bag since 2/23/2010 and have not had a single problem to date.

I love the Commute 2.0 for my MBP(5,1) 15in as it fits the laptop like a glove (tight, but secure tight) and separates it from the rest of the objects that I need to carry around which could potentially break the screen if carried right next to each other. The primary decision revolved around this laptop and so far the bag has not let me down at all in that respect.

For books, this messenger bag can carry quite a few (two binders, sketch book, two notebooks, 1in thick book, and a 2 1/4") books with no problem. The weight is distributed nicely around the entire strap and I don't find myself constantly switching shoulders or switching to the handle. The handle, btw, is a nice addition if you are just happening to carry the bag a short distance and don't find the need to pull the bag over a shoulder.

The only con so far is that the braces (what the shoulder strap clips on to) for the shoulder strap are made our of metal and the clips for the strap itself are made out of plastic. This leads to a squeak, not that it is a deal breaker, but is rather annoying while walking.

I am glad to have gotten the product from Amazon (amazingly fast shipping considering I ordered the supersaver -- 3 days total for the bag to be processed, shipped, and delivered) and entirely satisfied with the bag itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars A breeze for air travel, October 9, 2009
This review is from: Timbuk2 Commute 2.0 Laptop Messenger Bag (Sports)
I've been using this bag for a few months now and travel pretty regularly. It was advertised as "TSA compliant" and, I have to say, this is one of the best things about this bag. It's so much easier to go through security. I can spend more time fussing with my boot zippers than dealing with taking my laptop out of my bag!
The bag also has a ton of great organization pockets and overall, it's just a really comfortable fit. It looks causal but professional at the same time. I'm really happy with this bag and definitely recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Small fits the 2011 15" Macbook Pro!!!, October 17, 2011
No matter how hard I searched online, including on Flickr, I could not find any review or note that stated if the Small fit the Macbook Pro. The Timbuk2 website says it does but most review stated the Medium just fit it so I decided to try for myself as I wanted to get the smallest size possible. (I hate oversized bags). It fits perfectly! Its a little snug at first but after 2 days it seems to have relaxed a little and I am very happy with the fit and overall size compared to the medium which I also tried.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well Designed with Some Obvious Design Shortcomings, January 27, 2012
Ryan Harvey (Portland, Oregon; United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Timbuk2 Commute 2.0 Laptop Messenger Bag (Sports)

I want to love this bag. Timbuk2 has cultivated a reputation for very well-made and well-designed travel gear. Timbuk2 is the Apple of bags -- you pay a premium, but you are paying for excellent design. I get it. I even embrace it. I want to pay extra for a bag that's perfectly designed. But unfortunately this bag isn't it.

This bag is supposed to be the briefcase of their line best suited for frequent airline travel.

I do like several things about the bag. The material is sturdy and waterproof. I like that the bag closes with both velcro (for quick use) and clips (for maximum security). I do like the TSA-friendly laptop compartment in back, and the pocket in the laptop compartment designed to hold papers for easy access.

But there are, to my eye, some design shortcomings in this bag:

The big interior pocket is not padded at all. I travel with my laptop, which goes in the laptop compartment, and also with an iPad, which goes in the main compartment. The bottom of this compartment has no padding at all, so when I set the bag on the floor the contents of that compartment are not protected at all from shock. I had to buy a bulky case for my iPad, just to put it in the bag.

The "hinges" for the straps aren't very well designed. Their odd shape means that if you carry the bag over one shoulder, they have a tendency to turn sideways and bunch up the webbing that holds them on. Also, when the cover of the bag is closed (i.e., most of the time, the bend in the material pokes out and means that the straps are contorting around the corner of the bag, unless you manually adjust where the strap goes.

There is a slit in the back of the bag, designed so that you can slip the bag over a roller-bag's handle and keep the Timbuk2 bag secure while you are rolling. When you have a laptop in the back compartment, however, there is not enough slack in this slit to accommodate a roller-bag handle without great effort. I would love to be able to secure my Timbuk2 bag to my roller's handles but don't even bother trying anymore -- it just takes too long to get it on and off of there. A velcro-based wide strap, to go around a roller handle, would be a much more ideal solution here.

With typical loading (maybe it's just me), the bag has a tendency to lean "forward" and not sit upright. This wouldn't be a tremendous problem, except for the fact that you can't easily strap it to a roller bag handle (see above). So, if you are walking through an airport with the Timbuk2 bag resting on top of a roller bag, and stop walking, the Timbuk2 has a tendency to fall off the roller bag and onto the floor. Combine this tendency with the fact that the interior main pocket has no padding at all, and you have potential for damaged contents.

There is an external pocket on one side, but not the other. If you carry the bag over your right shoulder, you have easy access to this pocket. If you carry the bag over your left shoulder, you have no pocket at all. Why not put a pocket on each side?

If you are carrying some papers and want to keep them from sloshing all over the place in the bag, the only place to put them is in the pocket located in the laptop compartment. It would be nice to have an additional "paper" pocket in the main compartment. I carry around a big plastic folder in the back of the main compartment for papers. I wonder why I have to do this.

I want to love this bag but after a year these small design shortcomings have made me want to seek alternatives. I will continue to search for the perfect laptop bag for airline travel. Unfortunately, this isn't it. Perhaps with the Commute 3.0 Timbuk2 will address these shortcomings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile messenger doubles as camera bag, overnight carry-on, November 26, 2010
L.T. Hanlon (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Timbuk2 Commute 2.0 Laptop Messenger Bag (Sports)
I've used the large version of Timbuk2's Commute 2.0 Laptop Messenger Bag for a couple of months now. I bought it primarily for daily commuting on Chicago public transportation and typically carry a MacBook Air, several file folders, a small zippered case with a Livescribe Pulse pen, a Livescribe three-subject notebook and another small zippered case with medium-sized digital audio recorder. The pen case and audio recorder go into a 20-year-old insert that I recycled from a Domke bag. I added Velcro strips (bought at Walgreens) to secure the insert. I also occasionally carry a full-size SLR in the insert instead.

If you pack carefully, the bag can also accommodate enough clothing and toiletries for a two-day trip. The spaces around the laptop storage area will hold two dress shirts without wrinkling. I've also fit four tightly rolled T-shirts, four pairs of socks and four pairs of briefs in the main compartment. I use the smaller pockets to hold disposable contact lenses, medications, dental stuff, etc. If you're not bringing along a laptop, you could probably fit a spare pair of jeans in that area, as well.

Three minor complaints:

1. The supplied shoulder grip is too stiff and doesn't work very well. I'd have happily paid slightly more for the bag to get a useful grip.

2. The external pouch for a water bottle or canteen could be bigger and deeper. My 32-ounce Nalgene fits, but not with much assurance that it won't pop out if nudged.

3. The Commute 2.0 usually does not stand upright when placed on a flat surface. I'm guessing that because of the TSA-compliant laptop pouch this center-of-gravity change was unavoidable.

The major accolade:

It's clear that high-quality materials were used in manufacturing this bag. The material feels tough, yet is not scratchy or abrasive. This bag feels as if it will last a good long time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Timbuk2's quality continues!, June 11, 2011
I bought this bag recently to accomodate my new 13" macbook pro. The material choice is good and the build quality seems solid as is typical for Timbuk2 products. The corduroy lining of the laptop pocket is nice and doesn't scratch your computer. The small bag fits my laptop with room to spare, and I can actually put my laptop in a neoprene sleeve and still fit it easily into the pocket (a + or - depending on how you look at it. The TSA compliance is nice, but who really cares?...TSA still makes you take out your laptop half the time anyway.

One complaint- as I said the laptop pocket has a nice non-scratch lining, but I truly feel the amount of padding is inadequate to protect against impacts on the bag and the computer within. As such, I use mine paired with an inexpensive neoprene sleeve.

A note- people should stop complaining about the bag being too big or too small for their purposes and buy the appropriate bag to begin with. The different model bags all have different purposes. This bag is NOT intended to carry your computer plus a truckload of peripherals as its designed for commuters (duh) and is meant for carrying necessity's with a little extra room to spare and a neat organizer for other small portable electronics and supplies. Go for a larger model line the command model if you want a bag the size of Mary Poppins' carpet bag. And if you buy one thats the wrong size to fit your laptop...the blame is on you. Simply follow Timbuk2's instructions on how to measure the true outer dimensions of your bag and you'll have no trouble at all buying the appropriate size.

I recommend this bag to users of laptops 13" and up. I do not recommend it to netbook users unless they are going to use it with an additional laptop sleeve of some kind to provide additional protection for their computer, as anything <13" will probably shift around too much and as a result, get damaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive messenger bag!, January 26, 2011
This is a very impressive messenger bag. The materials and construction are top notch, it seems like it would hold up to a lot of abuse and many years of service.

The main features I really like about this bag are: Large main compartment - fits two 1.5" thick college textbooks and a 1.5" binder, power adapter and there is a little room to spare for small objects (main compartment measures 17" x 11.5" x approx 4"); 11.5" of height - allows laptop to fit inside sleeve without rubbing against the top flap; strap quick release - allows you to quickly extend the strap to make it easier to remove bag from shoulder. Handle!! I was debating getting the D-lux, and I'm glad I didn't, I don't think I could live without the handle; Nice assortment of little compartments. Just enough padding to protect laptop without being too bulky; Good looks; TSA compliant laptop compartment. Make sure you check the dimensions before making a size decision. Judging by the size of mine(large) I don't think the medium would fit a regular 15.6" laptop, maybe 15" MacBook pro.

Things I don't love about it: Handle looks a little flimsy (it is strong, just a looks thing); I wish inside part of main compartment had a small pocket on the side, it would be perfect for storing a power cord; Plastic hook makes a clicking sound when you walk, I remedied this by sanding the sharp corners of the hook where it touches the metal bracket, completely solved the problem.

Miscellaneous thoughts: I had to walk in the rain for about 15mins with this bag and it kept everything dry inside. Strap pad makes it more comfortable to carry when fully loaded. 15.6" laptop fits snugly in the large bag, I believe a 17" would fit, but it would probably be tight.
I'm very satisfied with this bag and I highly recommend it!

3.0 out of 5 stars MacBook Pro 15" 2011, April 6, 2011
I purchased this bag in Medium (and a few others, see reviews) for my new 2011 Macbook Pro 15". This is a TSA compliant bag, meaning the laptop loads in an outside compartment that flips down, so you can lay it on the xray conveyor. The Macbook Pro 15" will fit in the compartment, but only naked. I prefer to put my laptop in a neoprene case, then put the neoprene case inside the laptop bag. It's a very tight fit height-wise. Width-wise, there is additional room .75-1" on each side. My other concern is that is you zip it open too quick, the laptop will fall over, as it sits on the outer-side of the case.

+ Luggage handle pass through
+ Padded grab handle on top
+ Removable Pad on removable shoulder strap.
+/- Zippered pocket inside that fits an iPad 2, naked. Won't fit in any case.
- Pockets inside are not sized very well. Although there are identical pockets that fit iPod Classic. Other pockets are appx 3"x3" -- maybe a digicam?
+ Nice build quality. The Look and feel is more of a traditional laptop bag (business like), then the plastic like Timbuk2's.
+ Water Bottle Pocket on side
- No dedicated pen pockets
+ Very nice plastic buckles
+/- Usual Velcro holding flap

I'm returning this one. I might order the L and try it, undecided.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect with my 17" MacBook Pro, January 30, 2010
The Commute 2.0 bag is perfect for my traveling lifestyle. It fits my 17" MBP (with a speck case even) and I don't even have to take the laptop out going through US airport security.

Only flaw I've had with this bag is that the strap clip squeaks a bit when I'm carrying over 10lbs. of stuff. Not enough that I wouldn't still give it 5 stars. The bag works amazingly.