5.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Great Cover
I love Timbuk2 products - they're well designed and built to last. I do like this cover so I'm leaving this as a 5-star review, but there are a few issues that the potential purchaser needs to be aware of.

Pro
' The elastic that holds the Touch in is very strong. Your Touch will not budge in this cover.
' The edges around the Touch extend slightly...
Published on November 27, 2011 by Dawn J

3.0 out of 5 stars Design Kludge but Best Current Alternative
Published on December 27, 2011 by M. Allison

5.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Great Cover, November 27, 2011

Pro
' The edges around the Touch extend slightly past the Touch. In the event of an edge fall the bulk of the force will strike the cover and not the Touch.
' The strap that forms the hand hold area works well. I think this is one of this covers best features. It also works well to form a stand. When closed it does touch the face of the cover but it is made of a soft material and I don't imagine it will scratch it. A blow to the front may force it into the screen, but it would take quite a hit to do that because the material inside the covers is very stiff.
' Its very thin. Folding the cover back to read doesn't make it very thick.
' Controls are easily accessed on the bottom. Nothing covers them.

Neutral/Con
' The zippered compartment on the front doesn't hold much. Its really meant for your earbuds but putting your charger cord in it would stretch it out too much. Ditto for containing a light.
' There isn't a place for your light. It wasn't designed to hold a light so you should be aware of that. You can't put a light directly on the Touch because of the strong elastic straps deflect the back cover and there isn't enough of the cover on the edges to hold a light. I ended up putting a light sideways on the top cover and projecting it over the screen. Not optimal, but useable.
' There are no speaker cutouts on the back. I don't listen to the speakers much anyway but if you tried text to speech or listening to mp3s you can still hear them due to the way the Touch is designed but you need to turn the volume up a bit to compensate for the strong elastic + the inside material its made of.
' I can imagine over time the hand strap stretching out of shape, because its starting to already and I've only had this for two days.

I was able to get it from a local store at a Black Friday discount so I'm not sure I would have paid full price for it. Overall I like this cover, and will continue to look forward to more Timbuk2 products.

3.0 out of 5 stars Design Kludge but Best Current Alternative, December 27, 2011
From experience, I'll consider only an 'easel-style' case (I travel and eat a lot of solo dinners). While well-constructed of quality materials, this model is overpriced for nylon (qualities common to every Timbuk2 product I've owned). Engineering is a real kludge. While easel design is usable, angle is so steep (tall) as to be annoying to use seated at a table--Kindle would have to be at about breastbone level to look straight at the screen. There's an annoying velcro r-r-r-rip whenever opening, adjusting, or closing. Scratchy side of velcro faces out when case is closed--rough enough to remove skin if you plunge a hand into your briefcase too fast. Have to open (r-r-r-rip!) to plug in charging cable. Strap is handy though...two fingers in the strap and thumb on the page turn make for easy one-handed operation, even for small hands like mine.

In contrast, had a a very well-designed leather easel cover on my lost Kindle 3 Keyboard. The "aCase" I bought for it had a broadly adjustable easel, closures were almost unnoticeable magnets, and even in leather was less than half the cost of the full-price Timbuk2.

When I bought a new replacement vanilla Kindle, I went ahead and bought the red/grey Timbuk2 on sale because it seems to be the only usable easel-type cover currently available (Mar-Ware 'flip' easel is unusable...depends on friction and steep angle to stay upright). Oh well...to paraphrase Rumsfeld, you go to read with the Kindle cover you have, not the cover you might want or wish to have at a later time...though when a decent leather easel cover comes up at less than $50, I'll scoop it up immediately.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and secure as advertised, November 28, 2011
Katy (Chicago, Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Timbuk2 Kindle Dinner Jacket with Viewing Stand and Hand Strap, Grey/Blue (fits Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle, and Kindle Touch) (Accessory)
This case is great! The hand strap in particular feels VERY secure and comfortably tight, which is great news for my twice-daily 45 minute commute that is usually spent standing on a train. The suede(-ish?) material that lines the panel is also very comfortable. More good news for the commute.

The two main panels are hard and stiff, and though the elastic straps holding my Kindle Touch in place are thick, they do not overlap onto the screen at all. I'm actually more reassured by the thicker straps compared to other cases that have a snap-in or thin bands because it's much more unlikely that my kindle will fall out or the bands will stretch or wear thin over time.

The easel/free-standing setup works really well (there is a small indent cut into edge of the case for the hand strap to nestle in when used to secure the stand--you just have to make sure to spread the two panels apart so that the fastened strap is taut and the bottom edges of the case lie flat on your table). The great bit about the design is that when the hand strap is being used as a handstrap, it's doubly secured with extremely strong velcro (this is not your average shoelace replacement velcro), so that even if you use the case as a reading stand frequently, the hand strap will continue to be secure.

The design is quite attractive, though (and I suspected this from the pictures and it's perhaps exacerbated by the lighting in my apartment) the grey leather has a bit of a yellowish undercast to it and doesn't match as well with the grey cloth as a darker or bluer grey might have done. But when the case is open, this minute aesthetic nitpick is moot.

The cons (besides the grey leather) are that the case does weigh at least half or 3/4 of what the Touch itself weighs, so now my delightful airy device finally feels like it's affected by gravity (although obviously this is expected of a hard case) and my skinny device is now twice as thick. Again, this is to be expected of getting a hard case that can take some wear and tear, which was what I wanted. I feel quite confident that my Kindle Touch is protected.

Regarding smell (which I've noted as a concern for other Kindle cases, though not this one), there is a faint chemical sort of odor, but only if one has the case within a foot from one's nose and is inhaling sharply. Given that this case was double-shrink-wrapped, I anticipate the odor fading quickly.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with this product (and moreover, how quickly I received it!).

5.0 out of 5 stars One hand!, November 21, 2011
Tertullus "Tertullus" (Morehead City, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This is a very nice case, and I especially like the strap on the back of the opened case that allows one to read comfortably with one hand, turning pages with one's thumb. The strap doubles as a support so that the Kindle can be placed upon a table and read with no hands - except for the page turns.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this cover!, November 24, 2011
I hesitated buying this cover because of the price, but I'm so glad I did. It's slim and my Kindle Touch fits perfectly. I like the design, color and the suede fabric in the inside. And my favorite feature is the hand strap -- no worries about dropping my Kindle if I'm jostled on the bus.

5.0 out of 5 stars A favorite for my Kindle Touch, December 12, 2011
Maple in Colorado (Colorado Springs, CO United States) - See all my reviews
I am very happy with the Timbuk2's Dinner Jacket cover/case for my Kindle Touch. I enjoy the options it gives me for reading (converts into a stand), plus I feel as though my Kindle is very well protected. In addition, the materials are excellent: This case is much more durable yet lighter than many of the other cases.

What I like the most is that the cover flips over the top, which I prefer much more than a cover that opens and must be held open like a book. I can place my hand or fingers behind the "hand strap" or in between the case cover and back, which allows me to hold the Kindle comfortably and easily in one hand, even when I am reading in bed on my side. Another option that I enjoy is to use the velcro strap to convert the cover into a stand, which allows for hands-free reading and works perfectly at a desk or table.

The Kindle is very well secured with thick, durable elastic. The cover is strong and extends slightly past the edges of the Kindle so that if I were to drop my Kindle, it would, in most instances, be protected, yet the weight of the Kindle with this cover is noticeably lighter than most paperback books! The zippered pouch is most purposeful for flat contents, such as business cards, notes, etc. I purchased the E-Luminator Touch booklight, and it works very well with the Timbuk2, as the insert slides between the Kindle and the cover and holds very well in whatever position I choose. The Timbuk2 Dinner Jacket comes in a variety of colors. I chose the GunMetal/Red, and just love the case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, December 6, 2011
The Kindle Touch is my third Kindle, and thus this is my third Kindle cover. My first was from Oberon Design. Love, love, love the beauty and craftsmanship of Oberon. Also, the contrast between the new tech and old world handmade leather. Once I figured out that I'd likely buy every new generation of Kindle, I decided not to keep buying the expensive but worth it Oberon. (Though I wish I could...)

My second cover, for the Kindle keyboard, was the Kindle lighted cover. It is very handy, however it seemed very *vanilla* and mass produced to me. Apart from the ease of the light, it didn't add anything to my reading experience though it did protect my Kindle. (I had a clip on light for the Oberon.) It was fine, just not fabulous, so I'm not buying a Kindle lighted cover this time.

Enter the Timbuk2 Dinner Jacket for Kindle Touch. I really like this cover. It's very light - lighter than the Oberon. Unlike other reviewers, I haven't had any trouble attaching a clip-on light. While perhaps revealing I'm not a social butterfly, I read a lot while having a meal, and I love the stand up feature. Since I have the lighter version with blue accent I did Scotchguard the outside as I'm a constant reader and I was sure the off white back would get dirty, though it isn't showing any signs of wear. Also, I find I don't use the handstrap. Rather, I put my hand between the front and back covers. It's comfortable and works for my smaller hands. The Kindle is secure, protected, and I'm not worried that the hand strap will hurt the screen.

All told, I'm very happy with the Timbuk2 cover and would recommend it to others. The light weight, good design, and attractive style make it a great cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Paperwhite, October 4, 2012
otty (Central Maryland) - See all my reviews
I ordered the Dinner Jacket with 2 day shipping and received it the next morning. I don't know how Amazon does it. This is a well made cover. Is' outer fabric is an attractive high quality nylon. It is a refreshing change from the usual plastic leather (pleather). the elastic corner tabs hold the Paperwhite (PW), firmly and do not interfere at all with the screen. The hand strap in the back also doubles as a strap to for the portrait mode stand. I think a hand strap is almost a necessity for a touch screen reader because it enables one to hold the reader without accidentally turning the page, plus it results in no hand cramps if one is reading for a long time. The case is slightly larger than the PW, just enough to protect the edges and corners of the reader, but not enough to be oversized. The stand works fine and is great for either reading in bed or reading at a table. The angle does not seem to be the problem that other reviewers mentioned. The case is kept closed by a strong velcro tab.

The zippered pouch is a nice touch. it will hold a charging cable, but not a charger. It is great for an ID card in case the PW is lost and is found by an honest person.

The only criticism is that the velcro is a heavy duty type. The good news is it holds well and won't wear out, the criticism is that it takes a bit of effort (but only slight effort) to set up the stand. The interior that touches the PW is a soft material and although the hand strap rests against the screen, it is the soft velcro that touches the screen, so it is unlikely to create any scratches.

I would buy this again as it is a good fit. It does add to the weight of the PW, but the hand strap and stand add much comfort to its' use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Cover, December 25, 2011
I originally bought another cover that was supposed to fit the smaller kindle and the kindle touch. It felt like I was going to break the touch trying to get it in there. So I returned it and bought this instead.. Amazing. Sturdy, dependable, protects my kindle touch like no other case (out there right now) can. Anyone else notice how terrible the selection is for kindle touch cases? I work on a navy ship and I've dropped it down a ladder well and it hit the metal floor and the touch was good to go. Obviously I wouldn't go testing this out.. But overall it's by far the best case you can buy at this point for the new kindle touch.

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay case, September 20, 2012
This case started scratching my kindle when it was closed, it now has scratches on the top of it and it deeply upsets me that something that was supposed to protect it actually damaged it.