5.0 out of 5 stars great, stylish day pack for commuting
Commuting between NYC and Stamford, CT has really done a number on my shoulders as cute as my shoulder bags are. And while traveling, I finally twisted my right shoulder and said enough. I needed something that was still stylish but got the job done and would let my shoulder heal.

This Timbuk2 bag had exactly what I was looking for in a commute bag:
*...
Published on April 7, 2010 by E. Hu

3.0 out of 5 stars Light-Use Only
I've had the backpack for about 2-3 weeks now and am having to return it:
The laptop sleeve is a great idea but the bag itself is not working out for college use.

Pros:
Published on October 7, 2011 by Finch

3.0 out of 5 stars Light-Use Only, October 7, 2011
I've had the backpack for about 2-3 weeks now and am having to return it:

Pros:
1. Great laptop sleeve! Best I've seen in a backpack. It's lined in a very soft, stitched/padded, microfiber-type material and the opening is on the righthand side when wearing it (so it's easy to pull out laptop without removing entire backpack).
Also, there's "buffer" space between the bottom of the bag and the laptop sleeve.
2. Lightweight
3. Chest straps are removable (so they don't hang there all the time)
4. Pretty comfortable
5. Side handle near the laptop sleeve comes in... handy

Cons:
1. Thin material (but that's probably why it's lightweight too. E.G. Corners and edges of books sticking through bottom of bag)
2. Questionable quality (stitches are coming apart in a few places already)
3. No place for umbrella or water bottle
4. Power adapter compartment doesn't work well for Apple chargers, though it would be good for PC ones
5. I have no idea why it comes with a metal bottle opener permanently attached to the shoulder strap... I'm assuming it's a bottle opener but either way, it makes some noise when setting it down, especially on a metal desk leg

Ultimately, I'm returning it because it's too small and I doubt it would hold up.
With one book, folder, notebook and Macbook Air with charger (with a few other small things), I can barely fit a 27oz water bottle inside main compartment (where I definitely wouldn't want it to leak) and I can't fit an umbrella ANYWHERE. There is nowhere to stow it on the outside of the bag.
When there's a book in the main compartment, it's shape is distinctly visible through the bottom material. Setting the bag down like this would wear a hole through it pretty quickly.

So, it's a great light-duty bag if you want to take a laptop to the coffee shop with a couple magazines or a small book.
It's not the best to take to campus for a full day of school.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, stylish day pack for commuting, April 7, 2010
E. Hu (New York, USA) - See all my reviews

This Timbuk2 bag had exactly what I was looking for in a commute bag:
* stylish and sturdy
* small enough not to dwarf a 5'2" female
* big enough to fit my laptop, a couple of books, day-to-day gear and lunch (but if I bring breakfast and heels, I need another bag)

It was doing such a good job, that I decided to test it as my carry-on on a week-long business trip. Because some international flights back to the US are only allowing 1 carry-on/person, I was careful with what I packed. Result = fantastic!
* laptop compartment made it easy to pull out computer for security screening
* small pocket in the back was just the right size for my US currency and credit cards that I wouldn't need overseas but would at the US airports
* bottom compartment fit charger, mouse, and number pad
* main compartment fit 2 textbooks, a notebook, hat, mittens and some food for the plane
* everything else fit in the front compartment

Not to say there aren't any cons, but I think they're minor:
* there are certainly situations when I need more space (as mentioned above). also my duty-free purchases were not going to fit in the bag with everything else I packed
* lint also sticks to this thing like crazy, so be prepared.
* if you get the white/gunmetal/red combo, be prepared that things show through the white cover, so not a good place for sensitive materials/items
* the white material will obviously stain more quickly than some other colors. A Tide-To-Go stick in your bag might be handy if stains will bother you

Overall, I couldn't be more happy with how versatile this pack has been. It's more than worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Walking pack, October 22, 2011
This review is from: Timbuk2 Q Laptop Backpack 2013 (Apparel)
I purchased this as my everyday carry around pack (I walk a mile to school one way). Perfect for a book or three and a laptop. I usually carry a standard sized binder (9"x12"), 2-3 average sized books (5"x7" or less) along with my laptop and power cord. Keeps my laptop secure with minimal jostling even when the rest of the bag is empty. The power cord pocket just fits my standard size cord and the front compartment is large enough to hold a magazine and standard utensils. Items in front compartment may get a bit damp in rain if the bag is completely full but laptop is always dry. Swing around access makes it easy to pull laptop out and also give access to a small pocket perfect for storing keys and wallet in.

5.0 out of 5 stars New computer hammock in bottom!, June 15, 2012
This 2011 version of the Q has fixed the issues of the original. The pad at the bottom of the laptop compartment has been replaced with a hammock that the computer rests on. Then there's a space between that and the base of the backpack, which is better than a cushion anyway. Really great design!

I have a heavy Macbook Pro 15.4", and I'm a wimpy girl. I was really looking for something that would distribute the weight correctly, and also something that didn't weigh a lot itself. Originally I'd planned on getting one of the Swissgear bags, but found out thru reviews that they were really heavy even empty. These Timbuk2's have good reviews, and I watched all the videos on their site to get an idea how how big each version was. This one is plenty big! Really glad I didn't go for the HAL. Note that I'm not a student, so I don't have to haul around books. I've got my Nook and a reader's journal, the power cords, my iPod, other chargers, my calendar, and a few other things, and the bag feels like it's empty still. Not even expanded. The best part of all is that when it's up on my back, it no longer feels heavy.

There are a surprising number of pockets. I did find that the charger fits even better in one of the interior ones, with the extended power cord along with it. The bottle opener is kind of ridiculous, but it will work really well as a place to keep my keys.

BTW, the computer compartment is large. My 15+" Mac slides in and out easily. I like the side entry. Means a little bit less lifting of my weighty computer.

I got the purple and blue one. The color is much deeper than pictured, a gorgeous combination of deep purple and deep blue. Really happy with this purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's alright, October 1, 2009
It's a good bag, it has a lot of pockets and different spaces that you can use. However, it is not very big or comfortable. If you have a laptop in the laptop section it kind of restricts what you can take in the book section.

If you are a college or high school student and you need to carry a bunch of books and things with you, there are probably better choices out there with more space and that are more comfortable. If you are just a day to day user who just needs a nice laptop bag with a little more space, then this is probably for you.

Hope this helps.

2.0 out of 5 stars Zipper is wimpy and warranty service is worse, October 3, 2012
I purchased this backpack to carry my computer and a few papers when traveling by air. It's narrow enough to fit under the aisle seat of 757s, unlike my previous Tumi bag. It looks reasonably professional and worked pretty well for close to 18 months. However, the zippers are light duty. Even though I was gentle with this bag the zipper on the much-used computer sleeve eventually ripped.

I checked the Timbuk2 web page and was encouraged by the headline on the warranty page: "Timbuk2 products have a lifetime guarantee; we stand behind the legendary quality and craftsmanship of all our products." Frankly, that was more than I would have expected from a fairly inexpensive bag.

But once I got into the process I was disappointed. They don't pay for the bag to be shipped to them or returned. There is also a line that says, "For repairs to stitching or zippers we recommend visiting your local dry cleaner or tailor."

I sent the following note to customer service: "The zipper for the computer compartment broke despite the fact that I have been gentle with it. Rather than having me waste money sending the bag back and forth to you, how about reimbursing me for a repair locally?"

Here's the reply I got: "Unfortunately, we haven't worked out a system to get a you refund for a repair. Something like that usually cost $10 to $15. We could get you a store credit for the cost of the repair, but unfortunately, we don't have a way to refund your credit card without a charge being incurred." I can forgive the sloppy English, but the message is not a great brand builder.

So I went to the local "zipper hospital," where the owner was none-too-impressed with the quality of the zipper. She showed me how it was weak and set up to fail. She offered to close off the broken part (the first 3 inches or so), which would give me a smaller opening to slide the computer into, but would still be workable. That would be $16. For $25 she could repair the zipper. I wasn't enthusiastic repairing something that would just break again, however.

Finally we settled on a new heavy duty zipper for $42; the kind of zipper the bag should have come with in the first place. Although I feel stupid paying almost half the price of a new bag for the repair it did seem like the best alternative.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great backpack for commuting, March 13, 2012
This backpack is roomy and has a variety of useful pockets and organizers. It's my go-to commuting bag and has served me well in the first few weeks of use. The front (lighter colored) pocket is made of sealed canvas and is quite water-repellent. The rest of the bag is fairly water-resistant but not completely so. The zippers and seams are not taped, so beware. Because the bag is not particularly deep, most items placed in the bag remain upright, so it's easy to stash a water bottle, umbrella, and other long slender objects. The laptop compartment is spacious and can easily accommodate both my macbook air and iPad. The articulated straps are nice for comfort, but the very flexible attachment points at the top do cause the straps to flip over almost every time I put it on. Bottom stash pocket is useful for small items, but it extends into the main compartment in terms of filling space. There's a mesh pocket at the top of the back wall of the main compartment. Overall very pleased with this bag thus far, but will probably give it a good spray with CampDry to make it more water-proof.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great backpack, but isn't for everyone, April 15, 2013
Length:: 6:06 Mins

This video is from my Youtube channel, youtube.com/95skyforce. If you would like to see this video in better quality feel free to visit my Youtube channel. I also have several other Amazon product videos on there as well if you would like to see more of these videos.

--------Written Review-------------------------------------------------------------------

I purchased this backpack for high school and the education beyond. This was to replace my Ful backpack, which is incredibly durable but doesn't fit my small body size well. Quality is good, which is to be expected for backpacks at this price range, and the features are pretty sweet. However, here is why I don't recommend this backpack for students:

-WAY TOO SMALL. I couldn't believe another reviewer when he said that this pack couldn't hold much but he was absolutely right. I could just barely fit an one inch binder and an accordion binder in the main compartment. The biggest laptop the laptop compartment can hold is a 14in laptop. The pouch on the bottom just barely holds a laptop charger, it won't hold an Apple power brick or any water bottle.
-not really worth the price. This originally retailed for $109 but I got mine (the blue and purple one) for about $60, and even that is a bit much. My Ful backpack only costed around $30 and it has lasted through 3 rough years of high school so far and is still holding up well.
-everything opens at an "L" shaped angle. I really wished it could open more. Why doesn't it is beyond me.

If you are looking for a good quality laptop backpack for just small commutes or maybe you just want a dedicated laptop bag, then I could see this being a good backpack for you. Some things I do like about it include:

-shoulder straps that can fit all kinds of body types
-removable chest straps
-semi-waterproof material
-"swing-around" access to your laptop, padded laptop compartment
-the option to carry it like a briefcase

Final thought: I definitely don't recommend this backpack for students due to its small carrying capacity. However, this is a very nice laptop backpack. So if you are willing to shell out a little more money for a dedicated laptop bag, I would say go for it. If not, there are less expensive options out there like High Sierra, Swiss Gear, or Ful. If you have a small bulk like me, I suggest getting a High Sierra backpack since they tend to fit smaller people and still hold a lot of stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars way better than i expected, September 29, 2011
So while looking for a new backpack that could hold my 14 inch laptop, i stumbled across this bag. ive heard many great things about Timbuk2 bags from a friend who has a custom messenger so i decided to go ahead and consider it since it was less then retail ($89). after reading all the good reviews, i came across two bad ones. one of them was just stupidity on the buyers part for not zipping up the backpack. The second one was about the lack of padding at the bottom of the bag which protects the laptop. i was skeptical on buying this bag for that reason but decided to go ahead with it anyways since i really liked the design. just got it in today and i have to say this bag is probably the best medium sized laptop backpack out there. the laptop pocket is able to fit up to a 15inch laptop and the FLAW the one of the reviewers had a problem with has been fixed. there is no longer a pad at the bottom of the bag but instead an updated design of a sewn-in piece of nylon that goes across the bottom of the bag. this nylon is sewn into both sides of the laptop sleeve, elevating the laptop itself at least an inch and a half from the bottom the bag. i was so happy to see that they addressed this and thought i would write a review about the new fix since i had not seen one. great buy. you wont regret it

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Bag, October 8, 2010
Marc Curless (Wabash, IN United States) - See all my reviews
I really like this bag. I like the computer cord pocket at the bottom. The bag is a great size for me, not big but it easily fits my computer, a file, a book and few daily items. E-bags said that my Toshiba Satellite would not fit in it but it does, as does my old 17" computer. The only thing I don't like is that the front pocket seems to open the wrong way to get into it while accessing the computer pocket. Otherwise it is perfect for day to day.

Timbuk2 "Q" Laptop Backpack, Black/Black/Black, Medium