Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Timbuk2 Snoop Camera Insert
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Price:$36.05 - $86.25

on July 17, 2012
I use my Snoop X-small camera insert primarily to transport my 5D Mark II, Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L, and Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II for landscape photos. I can get all three in the Snoop, along my remote shutter. Because the lenses are fairly large pro lenses, I cannot transport them with a lens attached to the 5D Mark II. That said, it is a perfect size if you want to transport two mid-sized pro-level lenses and a semi-pro level camera. I have also transported the 5D Mark II attached to the 70-200 f/2.8L II and 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L, with their respective hoods, and the camera and one lens will fill the Snoop XS (it is tight, but it fits).

The Snoop XS fits into my standard sized messenger bag, along with my Gitzo GT1542T tripod (with the legs flipped up) and Markins Q3T head, with the head removed. I can also fit all of this in my North Face and Jansport backpacks.

The quality is top notch. The padding is good. The lid is not padded, but it fine. It has two interior padded dividers, which enables me to transport my camera and two mid-sized pro lenses. The zipper is medium duty. The strap on the top back of the Snoop is very useful.

All-in-all, a well designed, high-quality bag. Very highly recommended!
66 comments|106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 30, 2013
The XS Snoop is an insert for converting a Timbuk2 extra small Classic Messenger into a camera bag, but also works great in bags, totes and daypacks of any make. When used in a larger bag there's room left over for everyday items like a water bottle or windbreaker. I use the XS Snoop in a small Timbuk2 classic messenger. The XS Snoop takes up about 75% of the messenger's interior. Oddly, the XS Snoop insert was scrunched and distorted when installed in an x-small Classic Messenger, the bag it was designed for.

BUILD: The well crafted Snoop features a gray nylon exterior, dense closed cell foam padding, grab handle, soft blue tricot cloth interior and zippered lid. The two foam dividers are covered with tricot cloth and secured with velcro to create three compartments. The dividers are on the floppy side and not rigid enough to support weight. They serve only as dividers. Finally, the bottom padding is extra thick and affords serious protection in the event of a tumble or drop.

WHAT FITS: My Canon 6D with 24-105 4L IS USM fit perfectly in the center compartment with lens pointed down. There's enough room in the other compartments for a Speedlite and/or small lens. Definitely will not fit a pro DSLR, e.g., EOS 1DX, or any DSLR with battery grip or any DSLR with 70-200 or larger zoom mounted.

The XS Snoop is perfect for M4/3 or small to medium DSLRs with medium zoom and a great way to transform nearly any bag into a camera bag!

UPDATE 02/03/2014: I recently bought a small Snoop Camera Insert and, since Amazon won't let me review it separately, I'll write a few words here. First, save for size/capacity, most of what I wrote above is valid for the small Snoop. The small isn't any deeper, but the extra width allows storage of a couple more lenses, including larger zooms like the 70-200 4L IS USM. Mine came with 2 large dividers and two smaller ones to subdivide compartments. Oddly, the XS Snoop build is superior to the small in one aspect: thicker closed cell foam is used in the front whereas the small Snoop has limp and thin foam. Both sizes have an extra thick bottom and back. Not only does the small Snoop offer less frontal protection than the XS, but the thinner front doesn't hold its shape as well, tending to deform or sag. It's still a good insert and fits perfect in my custom small Timbuk2 Classic Messenger. If I could rate the small Snoop separately, I'd give it 4 stars vs 5 for the XS Snoop.
review image
on February 22, 2013
I'm a female professional photographer who has been on a long search for the right DSLR bag. I find that most of the camera bags out there are black and masculine - and they are bulky. If I want to carry both my camera and a secondary lens, flash, etc - then I have to take a full camera bag out and about, which is not fun or fashionable if I'm doing anything else besides shooting. The few female sized bags I find to be expensive and not of great quality, nor the style I tend to lean to. I'm a little bit bohemian and small framed, so I wanted to carry a bag that fit my personality and my body. With this insert, I can turn any bag into my DSLR bag. Right now, it's in a large turquoise Big Buddha Bag - no one can see my precious camera and lens kit. My Nikon and zoom lens/flash/accessories fit very comfortable into the XS insert. Plenty of room. Awesome way to turn any bag into a photography carrying case.

The only thing I would change, a memory card holder sewn into the lid and an outside separate zippered pocket would have been great for cords/cards/etc - so they are not swimming in the insert bag.
on June 5, 2013
I travel a lot and don't want yet another piece of luggage dedicated to carrying a camera. This camera insert is 100% perfect! It nicely protects the camera equipment in whatever bag I happen to be carrying on, and size X-small is just the right size for a DSLR and two zoom lenses. Because there is always a larger bag around it, accessories that don't need much protection (charger, filters, etc.) can be included if necessary. My favorite carrier is a bike messenger-type bag.

Regarding camera fit and configuration: Another reviewer shows an arrangement where a DSLR camera body is isolated from each of two lenses, with dividers between them. A better arrangement is possible with my Canon 6D and I placed a photo in the product description. One divider separates the camera from the telephoto lens, and the other divider is placed on an angle so that one bottom 'corner' of the bag has padded space for batteries, memory cards, etc. The trick is to place the 'grip' (right hand side of the camera) over that corner. My normal range lens (24-105mm - 4.2 inches long) stays on the camera body, so the camera is always ready for action. Because the bottom of the insert has extra padding I am not worried about the weight of the body resting on the lens. My telephoto lens is relatively short at 5.6 inches (Canon 70-300 mm L series), but with the lens hood on 'backwards' it has a large diameter. It fits just fine, but any lens that is 6 inches or more in length would likely require a larger insert.

Regarding everyday use: When the insert was new I found that the zipper would close without trouble but it was snug - there was no spare space. Now that I have used the insert for 4 months that has relaxed. So, it may be possible to use this configuration with DSLR camera bodies that are slightly larger than the Canon 6D - If the insert closes when it is new, you'll be fine. When carrying the insert on location, I leave the bag unzipped and the camera is still well protected from normal bumps and jostling. The insert acts as a padded 'holster' for the camera.

Summary: This well made and sturdy camera insert offers great convenience. Because of its compact size it fits comfortably in a variety of bags and packs without wasting space. It is ideal for a messenger bag or large purse. And the expensive contents are as protected as possible without a hard shell. Highly recommended!
on May 23, 2015
This bag exceeded my expectations. It holds my full kit (Sony A6000 w/ 16-50mm and 55-210 mm lens, closeup adapters, filters, battery case, small binoculars, and other junk) with room to spare. It fits into several different messenger bags and backpacks I own. Even when full, the tapered bag keeps the bag looking like a messenger bag not a box shaped camera insert stuck inside of one.
Build is excellent. Only improvement I would make is to add a small mesh pocket to hold batteries/memory.
review image
on September 19, 2014
I bought a small snoop insert for a small Timbuk 2 classic messenger bag

I can’t fault the quality of the snoop insert.
The camera snoop insert itself is a great concept
But the integration of it with the messenger bag that it’s supposed to pair with is not.

Here’s why. After inserting the snoop insert to the bag and making sure it fits snugly with no gap at the bottom or side.
The fitting is great. That’s not the issue. The issue is when you start putting your DSLR in.
It has space for an APS-C sized DSLR with zoom lens (mine’s a 18-250mm) a full size flash and maybe a video cam or another lens.
My way to placed the DSLR is vertically in. that is the lens is touching the bottom of the bag and the viewfinder and LCD facing you when you look top down

When you zip it up it closed perfectly. When you try to close the messenger bag’s flap, it also secure firmly but unsightly.
That’s because the flap is too short and the inner Velcro/zipped compartment area is visible.

You have to rearrange your gear (e.g. place the DLSR sideways) sacrificing room to reduce the height so that you can squeeze the top part and the flap can cover it fully without exposing the Velcro area.
Another way is to change out a zoom lens with a kit lens or other shorter lens. The height of your flash even when folded may hinder the complete cover of the bag.

Yes, it’s functional but not aesthetically pleasing. In fact purposed built camera messenger bag caters to this bulge and lengthen the cover (speaking from my experience with Crumplers).

So if you are planning to get this so that you can also make use of your existing messenger bag as a camera bag as well.
Stop and consider if you do not mind the cover only comes down half the bag.
on June 26, 2012
I purchased this in the medium size (the largest one available) to fit into the Timbuk2 messenger bag I already owned. While I put mine into a Timbuk2 bag it will fit into any bag of the appropriate size. If you don't own a messenger bag, or if the one you own wouldn't be appropriate for a camera bag (e.g., it isn't waterproof), you can but the bag and the insert Timbuk2 Commute 2.0 Laptop Messenger Bag

One thing to note about putting all of your stuff into this insert is that if it becomes too heavy, it is not as comfortable as a backpack camera bag such as the Case Logic DCB-308 SLR Camera Sling (Black). The reason for this is that the weight is distributed much better in a sling or backpack than in a messenger back.

But, for moderate weight of camera equipment, the Camera Insert is a great way to go. Offers good protection, zips up nicely, and has its own handle, so you can use the Insert independent of another bag.
on September 29, 2014
Seems to be made of nice materials. It will not fit my 11 inch long gear. The top has rounded edges so it does not fit to the full stated width. Then it tapers to a smaller size on the bottom. Returned it and continue to search for a bag for my D7100 with an 80-200 f2.8 mounted.
on August 4, 2014
The perfect insert for my Chrome Citizen (I purchased the small). A much more convienent and accessible way to carry my camera when cycling. I can fit (without grips) my Canon 5D/7D cameras with a lens attached. Situation dependent, I can fit and additional one or two lenses. I can carry, without lenses attached, a 1D or a gripped 5D/7D and perhaps two lenses. Generally I just carry camera and lens, leaving two spaces open.

Construction appears top notch, very rugged looking. Padding is adequete for bumps and knocks. THe inclusion of a handle makes it much easier to remove from the bag. I tied a length of paracord to each of the zippers making them easier to find/locate while reaching in the bag.
on February 24, 2016
This insert overall is a great insert, and I own the medium one and love it, but the extra small fell short in one area, and to me, an important one. I was using it with a Sony a7ii camera body with lense attached. This insert has a lot less depth than the medium one so I didn't expect to be able to put my camera in here lense facing down, and the body the long edge facing the front to back like I do in the medium (which works great with this and any Canon or Nikon DSLR), but no matter what way I put the body/lens in there, there was no way you could zip the case closed. I've seen other pictures where people have full size DSLRs in this case just fine, and the case has plenty of room for those and any body plus accessories BUT you can't zip the case closed.

If that matters to you, this isn't the case for you. If it doesn't, buy this. You won't be disappointed. I wanted this to be multi-functional in which I could use it in my Timbuk2 small and medium classic messenger with room to spare, plus in my Timbuk2 backpack. Hopefully the small will do a better job at zipping.