Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Board book|Change

on May 25, 2002
This darling bedtime story, so endearing will charm your youngster to sweet dreams night after night. Jane Dyer's watercolor illustrations depicting animals, and their offspring are OUTSTANDING. Each two-page spread features a different Mommy (or Daddy), in a suitable setting, preparing their "little one" for bed. For instance, the mice are portrayed at the base of a hallow tree, and the fish are deep at sea. The sweet, and simple text appears on the left side of the book, while each mimicking phrase begins with, "It's time for bed." Subtle and rhythmic, the beat is ideal for nighttime reading, "It's time for bed, little sheep, little sheep, the whole wide world is going to sleep." The book concludes with a Mommy tucking a toddler into bed, "The stars on high are shining bright, sweet dreams, my darling, sleep well, good night!" This is a precious bedtime book.
As an educational tool, children will learn to recognize the illustrated animals: mouse, goose, cat, calf, foal, fish, sheep, bird, bee, snake, pup, and deer. My son received the hardcover edition of "Time For Bed" as a baby gift, and I was so captivated by the artwork that the board book version was purchased as a supplement. One-year and up.
on November 2, 2001
Wonderful book!!!!! This is the first book that has truly captured my active 12 month old's attention. The rhyming is delightful and the illustrations are just beautiful. I was so impressed by the book and my daughter's reaction that I went and purchased another Mem Fox book. Great addition to any child's book collection!!!!!!
on October 26, 2006
This was a favorite when my older daughter was a toddler (she's now 5) and now is a favorite of her 15-month-old baby sister. We were given the hardcover as a hand-me-down from an older cousin. I loved the large illustrations and the peaceful feel of the prose. It's especially wonderful for the younger kids who love books with rhythm and rhyme. I was disappointed when my older daughter tore one of the pages as a toddler and planned to get the board book when the new baby arrived.

When I saw the board book edition at the library though I was disappointed. The images are so much smaller (approximately 5 or 6 inches square instead of 10 by 10) and the delicate feel of them isn't captured as well in the board book. I may buy it anyhow because my toddler seems to prefer the smaller size. The hardcover was too big for her to pick up easily and I often kept it out of her reach since she loves to shred paper.

If you're buying it for a young child who likes to tear paper definitely get the board book but if you're buying it for an older child or because you love gorgeous picturebook illustrations then pay the extra money for the hardcover.
on January 21, 2001
My daughter received this as a Christmas gift and it has quickly become her favorite book, even at 9 months old. The illustrations are beautiful and the text is rhythmic and lulling. Every night, we snuggle together, just like the animals do in the book, and read this at least three times before bed, since she likes it so much. I cannot think of another book that I have that will allow my 9 month old to sit still for ONE reading, much less three in a row. This was a perfect gift and will be cherished for many years to come. Definitely a must-have for children!
on October 28, 2001
I bought this book for my son when he was about 8 months old. He is 21 months old now and this is still his favorite bedtime book. The pages flow together in a gentle rhyming pattern and the illustration is soft and pretty. My son loves seeing the adult and baby animals until the very end where there is a baby just like him. The first words in the book are "Go to sleep little mouse, little mouse..." and whenever I say these words MY little mouse gets a great big smile on his face and runs to get his book. In the middle of the book there is a Mommy and a baby bee and the Mommy says, "Go to sleep little bee, little bee. Yes, I love you and you love me." My son loves this part and always points to himself and to us when we read this part to him. This book shows little ones that all types of babies large and small need their sleep. I think I enjoy this book just as much as my son does and I would highly reccomend it to all parents. This is a must have in my opinion.
on September 25, 2015
I love this book except for ONE THING. "The very last kiss is almost here". I would hope that you aren't sending your little ones to bed thinking they will never get another kiss from you. I always change this line to "Today's last kiss is almost here." Tomorrow has so many new opportunities for a million more kisses, and at bedtime you will get your last one for the day, again every single night. Maybe I'm sensitive, but that's just me.
review image
on September 4, 2002
My daughter received this book for her first birthday. She has loved it from the moment I read it to her. It has all but replaced Goodnight Moon at bedtime. She gets it during the day for me to read to her at least three times.
The words as well as the illustrations are wonderful.
on June 9, 2000
I have been reading this book to my daughter almost nightly since she received it as a gift at 5 months. It has become our absolute favorite bedtime story. At bedtime, we snuggle together just like the mommies and babies in the illustrations. Looking at the beautiful pictures and hearing the lovely words of this story soothes my baby, and soon, she is ready for sleep. I highly recommend this book -- it makes a great gift!
on September 21, 2000
Illustrations are superb. Cadence of the story rhyme is soothing. Story length is PERFECT for toddlers. This is a MUST HAVE for ALL toddlers and parents! This is an all-time favorite in our house. In addition to just reading the story, children love pointing out the animals and making the animal sounds. This is a book I always give as a baby shower gift since it is so beautiful! Jane Dyer is an incredible illustrator too - another we like that she illustrated is When Mama Comes Home Tonight
on September 9, 2002
This book is the perfect read for small children at bedtime.Even the beautiful and sweet (but not sappy or saccharine)illustrations convey the sense of the world going to sleep that is very soothing. Careful you don't fall asleep yourself!
kids age 2-4 loved it. The rhymes are deceptively simple, but the perfect cadence to help kids relax for bed:
"It's time for bed, Little goose, little goose,
The stars are out and on the loose."
If the kids still aren't asleep at the end of the book, we made up our own rhymes for more animals going to sleep, reread the book, and it was guaranteed sleepy time.
A wonderful bedtime story-definite winner.