5.0 out of 5 stars I would give this a zillion stars!
Published on April 11, 2011 by E. K. Elliott

3.0 out of 5 stars There's good and there's bad.
Published on November 3, 2011 by kiwanissandy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I would give this a zillion stars!, April 11, 2011
This review is from: Time for Dinner: Strategies, Inspiration, and Recipes for Family Meals Every Night of the Week (Paperback)
This book is incredible. I love the 1 star comments...."leftover rice and veggies with an egg on top? That's not a meal!" Um, yes, actually, it is. It's a traditional Korean dish called bibimbap. And the "feel good about" meals are simply a protein/veggie/carb combo so you don't have to stress if your kiddo is not interested in what you've fixed....there's no "recipe" for feeding your kids cheese sticks for dinner.

This book is about making delicious, simple dinners and actually using that time to connect to your family, not creating a gourmet meal. This book is PRICELESS. It's not traditional american fare....no meat/potatoes/salad/bread dinners because that sort of eating is 1) Bad for you and 2) Time consuming. If that's what you're looking for, find another cookbook. The recipes in Time for Dinner are much more healthy and veggie friendly than some Americans are used to, BUT they are delicious. Buy this book if you want to save time, please your family, eat delicious food and get healthier in the process.

4.0 out of 5 stars Editors of Cookie Magazine put taste and style into family meals, August 7, 2010
I was a subscriber to Cookie Magazine, and found myself greatly missing it when it was taken out of circulation. One of the sections I missed most was the recipes that showed one ingredient (for instance, ground turkey), and then plotted a graph showing 3 different ways to cook that item, with photos, tips and final pictures of the meal. All on one page! Well, this cookbook brings that back, along with fantastic images of a stocked fridge, pantry and cabinets. This is a cookbook with usable recipes, helpful tips and great ideas to encourage family dining. First on my list to try is the ice-cube-tray sushi and the sesame noodles with extras. And one more thing - it is a feast for the eyes, with killer photographs and detailed ingredient lists.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun dad and daughter cooking, January 25, 2011
Santi (Philly USA) - See all my reviews
I got this book specifically so my 12 year old daughter and I could cook dinner together. I had looked through 20 or so books in the store before I settled on this one. (Sorry Amazon) It jumped out out me because the recipes are REAL FOOD that I could see us making with REAL INGREDIENTS without spending hours in the kitchen or hours at the market.

So far, it has been super fun for both of us! It has been about a month, and we already have a few favorite "stock" recipes, as well as some that have been heavily customized for our tastes. A few points about the book:

-There are sections like this: You have these ingredients; you can make this, this, this or that. Very handy when you want to give a kid some choices.
-Specific recipes allow lots of customization, for particular tastes.
-The photos are nice.
-I don't think there is anything in here that can't be done by an adult with moderate cooking experience working with a kid with a little less cooking experience.
-There are lots of recipes that have an ethnic vibe and flavor without being fussy.

And now, some words from the girl: I LOVE THIS COOKBOOK! It is really awesome. I've tried a bunch of the recipes. AND I LOVED EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!!!!! ESPECIALLY THE SWEDISH MEATBALLS! The gorditas are really good too. And so versatile.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great resource, November 23, 2010
I bought the book after looking through it at a friend's house. Yes, there's lots of white space (but, um, have you seen Martha Stewart? RealSimple? Most other cookbooks?) but I have made about a dozen of the recipes and am happy with the purchase. They are no-nonsense, easily adaptable (I make my own pancakes, I don't use pancake mix, for example, so I'll use my own mix), and generally good.
One of the sections is especially helpful -- what do you have in your pantry? Lentils? Great. Here are three recipes you can use. I like that they have some interesting ingredients (maybe interesting is a stretch, but for a family cookbook, they are) and some leftover strategies.

3.0 out of 5 stars There's good and there's bad., November 3, 2011
When you have as many low rated reviews as you do good reviews you've got to figure there's something wrong with the cookbook. But I purchased this cookbook just for the chapter Strategic Sunday Dinner. It's the same premise as Semi-Homemade Money Saving Meals (Sandra Lee Semi Homemade) meaning you cook some big meal on Sunday and then use the leftovers to transform into other meals for the next 3 days. The goal is to make it to Wednesday.
The first recipe for Sunday is Flank Steak, grilled vegetables, and corn bread. Then you're to turn the flank steak into summer rolls w/dipping sauce, mexican steak & eggs, and then cuban sloppy joes. The excess grilled vegetables then become pasta & bean soup, chicken paprikash, and jambalaya. The corn bread then becomes corn griddle cakes, oven-fried catfish (cornbreading), and then vegetable pakorsas.
I also loved the chapter "8 things to do on the weekend" and it was to make a marinara sauce, boil a pot of beans, roast a chicken, caramelize onions, make a vinaigrette, wash greens, blanch vegetables, mix a chili blend, and freeze ginger garlic and onion ice cubes. I regularly make a crockpot of spaghetti sauce and let it simmer in the crockpot all day to use through the week. This recipe for marinara was good but I would suggest getting Saving Dinner: The Menus, Recipes, and Shopping Lists to Bring Your Family Back to the Table. She has a 40garlic chicken that is awesome and I really liked the sauces she has a little better than this one. But it's all personal taste.
A fair number of the recipes are ethnic inspired. There's avgolemono soup, lamb, coconut chicken curry, borscht soup, buttermilk avocado soup, etc...some of the recipes might be a turnoff to small children. I like trying new things so you be the judge whether your family will eat it.
The pictures are good quality, the pages are glossy so they'll wipe clean, it delivers on what it says.

5.0 out of 5 stars Time to buy this cookbook!!, April 15, 2011
I saw this cookbook in a bookstore, and it haunted me that I did not buy it! It took some sleuthing since I could not remember the title or authors, but I managed to locate it online, and I'm so happy I did! Everything about this cook book is excellent! The main format is one I prefer, one recipe per page including a color photo and using a reasonable amount of readily-available ingredients. The authors also add several great features, like recipes to use with the leftovers you generate, and recipes that begin with what you might already have on hand and need to use. While the book seems to be directed to families with younger kids (there is a toddler chapter) my 11 and 13 year old daughters and my husband have enjoyed everything I've prepared from this book so far. And so have I! After all of the positive comments I have made, it must be said that this book stays on my cookbook rack on the counter, I use it weekly, and have yet to taste something that I would not make again. I can highly recommend this wonderful book.I'm just sorry that the magazine which inspired it (Cookie) is no longer being printed, because it must have been terrific too!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, October 7, 2010
one of the easiest cookbooks i have ever used. excellent fast recipes with great good meals.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE THIS COOKBOOK, March 26, 2012
I began reading the blog that started this book... I love the cookbook. It is simple to follow and great for a beginner like myself. The tastes of the dishes are incredible especially considering that the recipes are not all too complex. Love the book and narration... Did I say I LOVE this book?

5.0 out of 5 stars its about time, August 12, 2010
if you struggle with meals day after day like I do then this is the book for you. i was heart broken when cookie ended, especially missed the "if you have this" feature each month. now all those great tips and recipes are in one place in a beautiful cook book. nice to have a little cookie back in my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Already my favorite cookbook!, December 20, 2010
This is a revolution in cookbooks, geared completely toward the busy family cook who wants the best tips for quick, painless, delicious meals to put on the table. The set up is beautiful, with sections geared toward your cooking mood. Have a lot of time, why not do cook-ahead preparations for the week? Short on time- go for the main ingredient based section to see what you can whip up. The recipes are inventive, flavorful, and give lots of wiggle room (aka variation ideas) to work with.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›