Time of Our Lives
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$5.19 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on August 30, 2009
Okay, I'll be honest. I didn't actully buy the cd from amazon, but I did get it. And all I can say is that Miley just keeps getting better. I know that she may not be the best singer there is, but she's good. And the songs on this cd show that she has a better range than most people think. 'Kicking and Screaming' and 'Party in the USA' are nice, fun up-beat songs. 'The Time of Our Lives' is a great song as well. But I have to say that 'When I Look at You' is probably my favorite song. It's wonderfully written and wnderfully sung and I just love it. 'Obsessed' is a slower song as well and is wonderful too. My least favorite would be 'Talk is Cheap'. I like the song just fine, just not as much as the others.

All in all I have to say that I really like this cd and if Miley continues in this direction then I will deffinitely be buying her furtre cds!
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 12, 2009
I really enjoyed the music on this album...maybe a little too much. I disliked that she chose such adult themes for the song Talk is Cheap, and I plan to put that track on the "not kid friendly" list. The other songs were varied and fun to listen to, and were more consistent with what I'd expect from a 16-year-old artist. Miley needs to focus on using her talents in a positive way and remember that being positive doesn't limit her to be bubblegum pop, but neither does she need to compete with Brittney Spears for trashiest teen act.
VINE VOICEon August 31, 2010
You ever get that awful feeling that maybe you've prejudged someone harshly? Everyone around you deems it `uncool' to like someone and so you, before even testing the waters, label someone a talentless hack and assume that you hate their music. I was kind of like that with Miley Cyrus. That said, I did have some inclination that she wasn't the most talented star in the sky (I mean, it's impossible NOT to hear her music somewhere) but I never took the time to settle down and really listen to what she had to offer. I remember a few months back (maybe a little more than a few months) when I stumbled across a live performance she gave on a local radio station for her song `The Climb' and before I knew it was Miley I found myself aching to hear who this singer was, because the song was beautiful and the singer was doing a superb job. Then I heard that it was Miley. I shrugged off my feelings and moved on. After watching `The Last Song' and continually hearing `When I Look at You' in my head for nearly a week now I decided that I just needed to listen to her music and judge for myself.

Could I have been wrong all these years?

Partially.

I decided to snatch up this little EP in my attempt to expand my Miley horizons, namely because I absolutely love `When I Look at You' and I've always considered `Party in the U.S.A.' to be a major guilty pleasure for me (yes, the song gets me kind of giddy). It just seemed like the perfect stepping stone.

With the exception of the AWFUL `Talk is Cheap', `The Time of Our Lives' is a pretty solid if un-ambitious (is that even a word?) offering from this pop star. `Before the Storm', the albums closing live duet with those Jonas Brothers, is a mixed bag for me. I actually like the song, but that main Jonas kid has one of the most obnoxious voices out there (he is trying so hard to sound good that he sounds ridiculous) and it drags the song down for me. Miley also doesn't have the most powerful live voice, and so you can hear the straining there. Some artists really shouldn't release live material, or if they do it needs to be a stripped down intimate feel that allows room (and even encourages) vocal flaws. `The Time of Our Lives' is fun, if not a tad uninspired. It feels slightly dated and certainly serves as a transitional song for Miley (as in, it still feels very Disney in scope). `Kicking and Screaming' opens the album with some edge, a little kick to it, and I like that. It isn't a very strong or memorable song to be honest, but it's effective.

`Obsessed' has a little awkwardness in parts, but overall it's quite the ballad and really shows where Miley hits her stride. Once her vocals are cleaned up in the studio and given the uplifted musical arrangements, she soars.

And still, the pop-princess attitude of `Party in the U.S.A.' and the emotionally stirring `When I Look at You' are the best on the EP and the reasons I purchased this album. They really work on all levels, and Miley has never sounded better than she does on `When I Look at You' (seriously, it baffles me how much I adore this song).

In the end I must admit that she has more talent than I expected. I also must be honest about the fact that she doesn't have nearly as much talent as your twelve year old daughter tells you she does. She's in the middle there somewhere, but I expect that she'll get better with time and I look forward (did I just say `look forward'?) to hearing (and possibly watching) what she does next.

A solid C+ effort here.
on September 19, 2009
Miley Cyrus's EP The Time Of Our Lives has a good sound. Breakout her last album was a breakout album that I'd give 5 stars for. The time of our lives is good but maybe not as good as breakout. Overall it is pretty good and aimed more at teenagers.

Kicking and Screaming is a cover of Ashlee Simpson. It is a funky song with a cool beat. It is very rockish and a good party song to dance to. I must say it is not my favorite song but it will appeal to teenagers

Party in the USA is very addictive and will stay stuck in your head. At first I wasn't too kean on it but it grew on me. It makes you want to dance and the vocals are pretty good. This song was more the promotion of her clothing line so the lyrics aren't amazingly creative but it is a funky song.

Talk is Cheap is probably my least favorite song. I think the song is more for older teenagers as the lyrics are more grown up and there is a swear word in it. It is not appropriate for younger children. This song does have a good beat to it but the chorus hasn't got the bang the other songs do. However the verses are quite good.

When I Look At You is my favorite song. It is from her movie The Last Song coming out next year. The accompaniment had beautiful sound to it and the main instrument the piano has a beautiful tone to it. This song is one of the ballads in the album. The lyrics are about love but are also very inspirational in every day life. The chorus is big and makes a big impact and the bridge is the transition in the song and makes you smile and Miley has very good vocals on it. Overall this song is amazing and I rate it 5. Most definitely the best song on the album.

The time of our lives is very funky and is the title song of the album. It is for all ages and makes you get on your toes and is great to dance to. Very good overall with a good beat and vocals.

Obsessed is another ballad on the album. I love this song and it is my second favorite song. The lyrics are about love and how she is obsessed with a boy and doesn't want to let him go and tries her best not to think about him. Some good instruments in this and vocals are very good. The lyrics are meaningful and seem very personal.

Before The Storm is a duet between Miley and Nick. It is a ballad and tells the story of their relationship. The Instruments are amazing in this and the lyrics really tell a story and you can feel how personal the lyrics are. Good vocals and a cool duet.

Overall Miley's EP is very good. There are 3 amazing song on this album. It is aimed for older audiences but the album is a lot of fun. I recommend that you should get it.
on October 3, 2009
This album is leaning towards a pop rock/electro pop style while adding a little country pop to the mix. If you liked Breakout, Meet Miley Cyrus, Or the Movie Soundtrack you will enjoy this album.

Pros: songs like Party in the USA, Kicking and Screaming, and The Time of our Lives are fun, upbeat, and full of energy
the ballads When I Look at You and Before the Storm are absolutely beautiful and heart-warming

Cons: The only con is Talk is Cheap, which is mediocre compared to all the great tracks ont this album.
on April 13, 2013
Wow. This purchase was a disappointment. Of the seven tracks, one was a duplicate from a previous CD ("Party In the U.S.A."). The live track has bad sound quality, so that the Jonas Brothers can hardly be heard during the beginning. The rest of the album is... mediocre.

Best tracks:

Breakout

Can't Be Tamed

Hannah Montana 2 / Meet Miley Cyrus

Also...

If this version of "Before the Storm" isn't live, it should be worth acquiring. That track had memorable lyrics, but the sound quality was just horrible!

Before the Storm (feat. Miley Cyrus)
on July 9, 2013
I didn't listen to this expecting some masterpiece. It was a Walmart-only EP released to promote her clothing line. That said, there are some gems on here and some fillers.
Kicking & Screaming (10/10): Amazing opening track and this shows off how spunky Miley can be.
Party in the USA (9/10): Everyone knows this catchy piece of pop perfection, nothing else needs to be said.
When I Look At You (8/10): Beautiful ballad although the chorus is my least favorite part.
The Time of Our Lives (6/10): I'm not a fan of this one for some reason, it's just kind of cheap-sounding.
Talk is Cheap (7/10): Like its name, this song is cheap but it actually works really well.
Obsessed (5/10): I could take it or leave it. It's really nothing special & is kinda boring.
Before the Storm (3/10): I don't really like this at all and it's hard to listen to it all.
on March 28, 2010
This isn't the greatest album but it's what can be expected from Miley. Her first CD is better but not by a whole lot. Her voice just isn't all that good and her songs on this album don't do much to show it off. It seems to sound worse when she tries to sing a ballad like "When I Look at You." The high notes do her no favors. On the other hand, I like "Party in The USA."
on October 3, 2009
This album by Miley Cyrus was a very great product to buy.
The songs featured are all very enjoyable, and she shows her vocal talents very well. The instrumentation on the album is also interesting, as is the contrast between ballads and up-tempo songs.

I was very happy with this CD :]
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
My daughters Liked Hannah Montana but they like this cd because it is still like her Disney music but not too far out of what she was doing before she went and did some crazy music. My daughters enjoy this and another cd of her's.