Time To Say Goodbye
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$13.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 22, 2000
I am sick to death of the opera purists deriding Sarah Brightman and belittling her accomplishments for absolutely no justifiable reason. What's this about a small voice? The orchestra drowning her out can be attributed to poor mixing. Go see her in concert and your opinions will change.
That aside, this album stays in my CD player, I can never quite bring myself to take it out. It's got a place in my heart, and it's easy to see why. She pays tribute to Queen with her stunning rendition of "Who Wants to Live Forever." Doyle's "In Pace" is one of the most fantastic songs I've ever heard. I enjoyed "Naturaleza Muerta," "La Wally," and her rendition of the Gipsy Kings "Tu quieres volver" absolutely took my breath away.
Of course all of these songs pale in comparison to the title track, the absolutely classic duet with Andrea Bocelli. The orchestra supports their voices beautifully, each singing their own part, and at the coda, where the two voices join as one, I feel as though I've touched the stars. Very few songs have ever elicited that kind of response (always bringing on chills and tears) from me, and even fewer continue to do it after all this time.
So please folks, don't let the purists turn you away from this album. Listen to it and judge it on it's own merits.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 17, 1999
I've listened to this CD every day since I bought it about 2 months ago! It is so beautiful, particularly "No one like you" and "Tu Quieres Volver". It is so relaxing to listen to. As for the critics who snobbishly talk about her "small" voice and less than perfect opera technique, I find Ms. Brightman's silvery voice incredibly refreshing to listen to after hearing all those screeching divas out there! I hope she puts out more operatic CD's in the future. I would also love to have a CD of duets with Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli. This CD is worth every penny. I also enjoyed the CD's Surrender, Eden, Romanza and Sogno which I keep in my 5 carrousel CD player and play continuously on the weekends!
on October 17, 2001
This album is particularly relaxing. I love to kick back with a glass of wine in a comfortable chair with my eyes closed and just listen.
Sarah's voice is complemented by Andrea Bocelli on the title track and Jose Cura on several others. The material runs from classical to pop, all with an operatic flavor. This is a great album to ease into opera or classical appreciation with. It is not true opera, but emulates some of the vocal and orchestral stylings associated with classical opera. Classical "purists" should look elswhere.
Sarah puts on a strong performance, exhibiting a multitude of qualities with her voice, ranging from strength to wispy warblings and everything in between. She even speaks between the final two tracks, recorded live. Her speaking voice is a surprise! If you enjoy relaxing music in a classical style, you will enjoy this CD. I would put this in her top three recordings, alongside "Eden" and "La Luna."
on September 25, 2000
My... how Sarah Brightman has progressed. Since The phantom of the opera, her voice has matured very much. Her style,technique and choice of material are beyond words. The album, "Time to say goodbye" is an inspirational collection of classic/pop crossover material. Purchasing the disc was worth it all the way. I like the way Sarah balances the two styles of music evenly, throughout the disc. One moment, she's an angel of music.Next, she's a full fledged opera diva. "Time to..." is definitely not an opera cd, but she has that quality in her voice. The orchestra is great too.
This is my review of the disc, going in order by tracks
Who can forget this amazing song? "Time to say goodbye", that is. It's sentimental as well as romantic. Right up to the last spine tingling notes, that leave me teary-eyed every time. The duetting pair sang this love song in tribute to (Henry Maske). "No one like you" does the same. Sarah seems to know where her heart should be. The lyrics are deeply moving. Her voice soars in the last few seconds of the track. It's a must hear. "Just show me how to love you" is powerful in every way. I call it "the sequel to "Time to say goodbye". Jose Cura's lends his lovely tenor voice to hers, letting us hear rare beauty.
"Tu quieres vovlver" is the one track I don't particularly like as much.Sarah sings in her little girl voice, going into a shrill cry at one point. The acoustic guitar solo is romantic, though. "In pace", pronounced "inn-paw-chay", is lovely. The track is sung in Latin. Sarah lets her voice go in the conclusion of the piece, bringing me to tears. "There for me" is almost like the track "just show me...". Again, I think Jose Cura lends his voice brilliantly in this duet. Bravo Jose! "Bilitis" is another tear jerker. Sarah doesn't sing words, but she vocalises in this track. That's what makes it so pretty. It was written by the composer Generique. "Who wants to live forever" is deeply moving. Sarah brings her rendition to new heights. Picture her on a misty shore at early dawn. That's what I see. "La Wally" is probably the only (slight) flop on the disc. That is because Sarah sings fine until the conclusion of the track, then the London Symphony Orchestra drowns out her high note at the end. You can't even hear it at all.
"Naturaleza Muerta", written by J.M. Cano, whom is the head of the popular Mexicain group Mecano. Sarah pays homage to Mr. Cano, by delivering a gorgeous and breath-taking piece. The vocalise toward the end is great. "En aranjuez con tu amor" is but another one of Sarah's tear jerking pieces, sung in Spanish too. There are heavy parts written for string arrangements, therefore building great body for this track. "In Trutina" is an excellent track, which I love to hear full blast on a rainy day. Sarah certainly can make a song fit my creative imagination. I think it will do the same for you.
There are two Encore tracks included. One is Sarah's amazing rendition of " o mio babbino caro", which she sings live. Her high notes are clear and magestic. The 2nd Encore track is "Alleluja" from the "Exultate Jubilate" by Mozart. Sarah sings this track in a way that amuses me. She has a warble way too fast for this piece, yet she is fantastic at the same time. Her orchestra is at their best, as always too. The high C that she hits makes her sound like she's inhaled helium. The crowd roared their applause just the same. I did too. Before the start of "Alleluja" you'll hear her voice, as she introduces the piece. It's like she's there, guiding you along. I like it.
Unfortunately, There are no liner notes in this album, except for "Time to..." The photos are small but nice. The chain of gothic Sarahs inside the front cover is a nice touch. I highly recommend this disc to a new fan of Sarah. The jewel-case is a nice touch too. Best of all, The front cover. It sets the mood entirely for me. Buy this disc. It's perfect addition to one's collection. Did my review help you?
on June 30, 1999
Sarah Brightman has a beautiful, clear soprano voice. For the most part, she sings with graceful ease and a sweet purity of tone. Her legato line is marred at times, unfortunately, by an unmannerly habit of scooping into high notes.
Some of the selections are just too heavy for her light lyric voice. Catalani's aria from "La Wally" is a good example. This pieces calls for a much bigger voice and loses its pathos when sung by a voice like Ms. Brightman's.
Brightman shows a nice penchant for coloratura singing in the Mozart "Alleluia." She is dreamy and heartrending in less operatic selections like "Who Wants to Live Forever?"
I think that the unfortunate problem with Brightman is that people don't realize that she is not the only light soprano out there with an angelic voice. Give the following a try:
Natalie Dessay: "Vocalises"
Ruth Ann Swenson: "i carry your heart"
Dawn Upshaw: "I Wish it So"
Heidi Grant Murphy: "Twilight and Innocence"
Kathleen Battle: "So Many Stars"
These sopranos possess voices that are in a similar category to Ms. Brightman's. Please give them a try. You will not be disappointed.
on November 22, 2004
Sarah Brightman has one of those voices which aims straight to the heart. In this album, she manages to sustain a level of emotion and passion throughout. The music and the songs on this cd utilize the perfect blend of her head and chest voices aka as her opera and pop voice. There are three fabulous duets which are Miss Brightman's forte and have been since her Phantom of the Opera days. She complements the tenor voice very well. The song No one Like You is simply gorgeous. I have seen her live in concert, and she has a touching ethereal fragility at times. However, this should not lead one to think that she does not have the chops to displace vasts amounts of volume. Brightman won me over to Opera with her passionate singing. Although her technique is very credible, the pretentious critic should drop that notion at Brightman's door because she herself has stated that she will never sacrifice the emotion or passion of a song for the "technical". The legato or flow is much more important to her. This woman knows her mission, and that is to continue bridging the gap between pop and classical. Brava! Sarah Brightman. Most other lyric sopranos are so boring and heavy in colour which I do not prefer at all.
on December 2, 2001
With the exception of La Luna all of her CDs have had to grow on me but Time To Say Goodbye has taken the longest. I suppose there being no songs like Winter In July sort of disgruntled me at first, leading me to write my first bad review by Sarah Brightman. I'm now quite content with this, though, as Naturalza Muerta has quickly become one of my favorite songs by her and the magical No One Like You has weaved its way into my heart. Songs like the over-strainful La Wally (a.k.a. the beginning of the dance tune A Question of Honour) and the disappointing take on Pucinni's O Mio Babbino Caro almost drove me to shoot some falling stars, but now I understand and accept this to be the album of her cracking the shell. Here she starts her voyage of classical-crossover to see how people respond to it, and apparently it did well as she's now one of the most acclaimed pop-opera divas of our age.
I suppose it's only fair that she did an album filled with operatic tunes, as she brought out Fly and Dive which contain little to no classical. This is good for fans which are more avid to her angelic soprano than her ethereal alto, but for people like me who enjoy a little of both worlds I recommend La Luna or Eden. Don't misconstrue what I'm saying, though. Pop does shimmer here on songs like Who Wants To Live Forever, Tu Quieres Volver with the light strumming of a spanish guitar, and There For Me, which features one of two duets with the tenor Jose Cura - the other being Just Show Me How To Love You. She also does a duet with the king of classical-crossover, Andrea Bocelli, on the nationally successful Time To Say Goodbye. And for all you bashful critics out there who say that Ms. Brightman is not an opera singer, listen to her sing Alleluja (which is sung live) from Mozart's Exsultate Jubilate, then maybe you'll lighten up and realize that she has ecclectic tastes for expanding this otherwise insipid genre.
Not her best but recommended nonetheless.
on November 15, 2003
I became more interested in Sarah Brightman over the summer, when I needed to find a piece of music to sing for an Opera audition at my university. A friend let me borrow her "Phantom of the Opera" CD (yeah I know it's a musical, not an opera, but she is a soprano with an operatic sound, and that's what I was going for), and when I heard Brightman sing I thought Wow, what a gorgeous voice! By the way, I ended up singing "Think of Me," and made the Opera.
I found Sarah Brightman: In Concert 1997, VHS, in a sale bin at a local mall, bought it, loved it, and quickly decided she is one of my favorite artists/singers out there. I wanted to buy an actual CD, so I decided to go on amazon.com to listen to clips from her newer CDs like Classics, Eden, and La Luna.
I decided I liked this CD the best for a number of reasons. I enjoy the mix of contemporary and classic music in this CD. Although I will always think Brightman is great, her breathy, "New Age" sound on CDs such as Eden is not my favorite style. About half the songs on Time to Say Goodbye have English in them, and the other half are in another language, which I think is a nice and interesting mix. Also, some of the songs on this CD are ones I enjoyed from the VHS I bought. This CD features duets with Andrea Bocelli and Jose Cura, and both men are very talented. Like another reviewer, I would have enjoyed knowing what languages these songs are in and have a translation in the CD cover.
The songs:
1. Time to Say Goodbye (Con Te Partiro): obviously, the song the CD is named after. This song features Andrea Bocelli, and that is one of the main reasons I bought this CD. Part English, part Italian I think, it is beautiful and more contemporary.
2. No One Like You: pretty! It's in English but I can't understand a lot of it, and I kind of don't care because of her great voice. She gradually builds up to the higher notes.
3. Just Show Me How To Love You, featuring Jose Cura: I love Cura's rich, manly voice. It's in another language until the chorus. Beautiful.
4. Tu quieres volver: One of my favorites. relaxing and moving.
5. In Pace: I'm not attached to this one, it's good of course :) but not catchy or anything. Very operatic with nice instruments in the background.
6. There For Me, featuring Jose Cura: I personally think it's a bit on the cheesy side. Listening to Cura is my favorite part of this song.
7. Bilitis-Generique: this song is instruments and some relaxing "la" noises from Brighman. I could have done without it.
8. Who Wants to Live Forever: I love this song! Stirs my soul, baby! This is definitly more contemporary. It's in a range that I feel comfortable singing along to it. I like the trumpets at the end.
9. La Wally: Operatic and in another language. As usual, very well sung
10. Naturaleza Muerta: I think most of it is kind of boring, but that could just be me
11. En aranjuez con tu amor: Operatic, Spanish flavor. Dramatic and sad sounding
12. In Trutina: Operatic, soothing. It's like something you could play to a baby.
13. O mio babbino caro (Gianni Schicci): This song is a classic from an Opera, and she performs it better than anyone else I've heard sing it.
14. Alleluja: This is the only time she talks in the CD, and she introduces the song. It is by Mozart, is very challenging and she completely blows me away with how amazing she is with those runs. If I could sing like this I'd quit college right now.
The Bottom Line: This CD is one of my favorites. The music is beautiful, light, and calming. Great singers, musicians, and lyrics! Check it out!
on November 8, 1999
This is a truly one of the best CDs I ever accidentally purchased and glad I did it. Her voice is just absolutely beautiful and enchanting. My wife has been listening to this CD every single morning for some weeks with subwoofer on (which she has been avoid using it). I recommend this CD to anyone who loves beautiful voice with beautiful melody.
on May 18, 1999