Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Time Storm
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on February 9, 2010
I really enjoyed the main story line of this book. It had a lot of elements that I always find appealing and intriguing. The science is plausible and the tie-ins with the 2012 phenomenon are not allowed to overpower the story line.

Unfortunately, the author apparently published this book without the benefit of having anyone competent at editing involved in the process. There were more run-on sentences, completely wrong punctuation and syntax, capitalization failures and other such mistakes than I've encountered in a published work in many, many years. Based on this book, the author would have a tough time passing a basic composition course at any decent college. Any number of times, I stopped, closed the book and said to myself, "I cannot read any more of this badly edited writing. It's too distracting." Admittedly, as a professional writer and long-time journalist, I am more sensitive to such issues than most readers. Still, there's no excuse for not having a copy editor go over the manuscript before releasing it.

The other major flaw I encountered was the very cardboard nature of the main characters. They did not undergo any real growth or change in the course of the book. Their reactions as a result were highly predictable, which removed a lot of potential suspense from the story. The author frequently told us what a character was feeling instead of showing us their emotion in a way that would have made them more real. It was hard for me to work up a lot of caring for what happened to any of them for most of the story.

So this book would have gotten at least four and maybe even five stars from me had the author been a lot more polished and a bit more practiced at her craft. As it is, it's a solid three-star effort. I hope she writes more in the future but heeds my advice about making the book more a polished effort.
on November 19, 2009
This has to be one of the lamest books I have ever read and I've read a lot. Simplistic plot, childish dialogue, military bad ....spare me. The science was the only part I enjoyed because some was actually plausible. From the initial meeting to the lame "kumbaya" ending, the plot is unbelievable and sophomoric. After nuclear reactors have exploded and destroyed a good part of the US, the rest of the world is going about with business as usual...I don't think so. Guess you can just wish away that whole radiation thingy (they use that word in the book). Wouldn't waste my time or money. Bought it on Kindle and wish I could get a credit for a real book - and this one was only $0.99.
VINE VOICEon January 28, 2010
I enjoyed this book. The ideas were interesting, and the author did her research. The only quibble I have is that it comes off as an early draft instead of the finished product. A stronger editor would have lifted this from a good book to a really good, possibly great book. There were some misspellings, some grammatical mistakes, and quite a few times when it took me a second to figure out who was speaking. The descriptions were well done, and I liked the characters. I thought that, especially near the end, the story fell into telling not showing. Again, a stronger editing job would make this a great read.

I am looking forward to more from this author.
on January 15, 2010
Here is a book which combines all the best aspects of science fiction (as opposed to sci-fi and science fantasy) with action, has three dimensional female as well as male characters, and draws on scientific evidence so accurately that it seems uncanny on the day of writing (with pendulum observations related to a solar eclipse taking place in Africa and with the Caribean earthquakes occurring). The build up to the climax is exciting and rewards the reader for chosing this book.

Some of the dialogue, particularly in passages associated with the love stories that weave in behind the main theme, could be improved - a minor issue but one which leads to my only real criticism of this book.

The Kindle edition I read demonstrated the need for a good editor. Some sentences were incomplete, seeming to lack a verb or suffer from misplacement of punctuation, and a few words (such as demeanor)are used in unexpected ways. Typos seem to be lightly sprinkled through the text. These minor irritations give on the feeling of reading a late draft.

The cover art combines with these to cheapen the presentation of what could be a high priced best seller. The book calls for re-release with the benefit of a good editor and good marketing.

Someone should snap up the film rights quickly - and use them.
on November 22, 2009
I enjoyed reading this book. I found it is easy to read and exciting. It did not take me long to enjoy my time with Mark, Ashlyn and Stewart. I wanted to be there with them and experience the Bermuda Triangle and the world under the sea. ....Great job....keep writing Juliann.
on January 8, 2010
Yes, I do think the sci fi aspects of the plot have potential. Unfortunately, as has been said, the many, many editing errors get in the way of the plot. Basic spelling and punctuation errors abound, the amount of repetition (words and phrases) is annoying, and garbled sentences leave me questioning the word processing program used by the author and publisher.
Beyond that, the main characters are flat, and their interpersonal relationships are sadly predictable.
The theories alluded to by the author might spark some interesting discussions among science geeks such as my kids. If that were the author's goal, however, I would've expected more specific citations. The "notes" she provides typically include statements such as "It has been reported," or "Some researchers think..." Intentional or not, that kind of vagueness undermines credibility.
on August 3, 2009
I thought this book was fantastic. I can't wait for more books by this author. The book was full of unexpected twists and turns. This book added the human element that is so often missing in science fiction. The characters were real and I found myself forgetting it was fiction a few times.
on November 16, 2009
The authors ability to write dialog is good. The cover denotes science fiction which should mean an elementary understanding of science. The book does not purport to have magic yet the author states that a nuclear power plant can somehow cause a nuclear detonation. There were other minor occurrences that did not follow basic science and this caused disapointment.

The authors understanding of metaphyics is better than most and she thankfully did not try to explain all of the metaphysical phenomenon. I believe she can be a good writer if she eithers stays away from science fiction or has it proofed by anyone with a basic understanding of physics,engineering and or economics.

I wanted to give it two stars but the writers obvious talent made up for some of the technical deficiencies.
on November 21, 2009
I wish I hadn't read it, the plot is silly, the dialogue repeats itself, one of the characters keeps biting her lower lip every 2-3 pages - wow what a suspense it creates - I "wonder why" this book only cost 0.99$, probably if I paid more I would ask for a refund. And the disaster that hits America, worries the characters as much as whether they are going to escape their captors, not to mention that none of the other people in the place they are at, appear to be concerned about their loved ones, or even their comrades which appear to have not contacted them for several days, I wonder what happened to them :)
on October 19, 2009
This book was awesome! I read it this weekend and couldn't put it down. It kept me on the edge of my seat virtually the whole time...and had me guessing what would happen next. This book was refreshingly unexpected and very well written. The author really seemed to know what she was talking about...my advice, buy a copy for you and a friend.