on April 13, 2011
Most reviews I write, which aren't many, tend to be in enthusiastic support of an item, simply because I just don't take the time to write something unless I REALLY feel that it's a great item. (Once in a while I'll take time to write a negative review but since there's already enough negativity to go around, I try to avoid it!).

Well, this review is no different - this is an excellent tool - not a book, not a "read", etc. It's a tool that I have personally used to get "unstuck" from the habit of continuous email checking, internet ADHD sydrome, pausing to play scrabble on my iPhone every 5 minutes, you name it! With short, easy to digest chapters, I was able to return to a place of calm, focusing on a single item until it's completed, then move on to the next one with ease. Yes, I still take a pause every once in a while to do some of those old activities, but they're a choice and not a distraction and it feels good to know that I accomplished my necessary items first, the ones that propel me toward my goals.

So, simply put, this is an enthusiastic review of a great tool - one that you should find as useful as I did if you'll take its advice seriously and put it into action.
on April 8, 2011
Time Warrior begins with a powerful quote by Bruce Lee: "The successful person is the average person with laser-like focus." And I discovered that I was reading yet another of Steve Chandler's books that reminds me to be a CREATOR and not a VICTIM.

Steve Chandler is a man who just GETS it that our problems can't be solved at the same level as we created them. Most time-management books help busy people manage their time better so they end up juggling even more balls in the air and feeling even more stressed!

This takes traditional time-management and turns it on its head: its a book about what Chandler calls "non-linear time management". There were moments when it was like he was calling me out personally, on how I hold myself back. And other moments when I laughed out loud!

Peter Drucker said, "The best way to create the future is to create it." This is a book that kept on reminding me - chapter after chapter - to create MY future...
on February 20, 2011
For the last 2-3 years, every time I have faced moments of extreme self-doubt (let's be frank and call it FEAR) in my life, I've opened a book by Steve Chandler and had a "thanks, I needed that" slap in the face moment. Time Warrior is another one of those books.

Slow down, focus on the moment, the only thing that is important is that one small thing that is in front of you right now.

Do yourself a huge favor, and BUY this book.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 15, 2012
I've discovered one of the best kept secrets in Time Management, especially for a "creative" mind like mine! It's the Time Warrior by Steve Chandler!

For decades I used to be so motivated, having lots of coffee to keep selling selling..focusing, driving...creating....problem solving....and then one day I just burned out! My body put a stop to it and claimed its sleep! I lost all motivation and energy. Coffee no longer jump started my day and when I even thought about getting back into my professional life, starting with managing my time, I felt sick.

Brian Tracy's aggressive approach in his books now overwhelmed me emotionally and made me feel nauseous. Then, after two years of retreating, by chance, I heard Steve's interview on Michael Neill's show.

When I saw the subject of Michael's show, Time Management, I almost didn't listen, but something whispered to just give it a chance. After hearing this interview, I immediately ordered Steve's book. It has been such a gentle push for me! Little tiny nuggets are showered in the book like, "What do I want to produce? What structure will guarantee that?" and "By simply beginning the task we were putting off, and finding out by doing so that well begun is half done."

Sometimes when I feel overwhelmed with too much to do, I read, "Just do that one thing - you know what it is - it's the thing you're thinking about right now." I focus on that next action with ease and without overwhelming and stressing myself out!

The Time Warrior has been like a bible to me. I have sentences underlined, highlighted, marked, and I carry it with me everywhere I go to keep focused and motivated! It's perfect for the person who tends to get distracted a lot as well.

The Time Warrior isn't just about managing time. It actually gives the reader the gentle and simple tools to overcome their psychological blocks and to become an honorable person of integrity.

Through this book, I discovered Steve Chandler's work! He has audio downloads of his coaching that is so effective and interesting! He has a lot of samples of his coaching on his website as well. And his publishing company, Maurice Bassett, is wonderful! I personally spoke with Maurice about a download I wanted to purchase, and this gentleman was filled with great information and was so inspiring, kind, and helpful!

My daily life is richer now, because I discovered the work and service of Steve Chandler and Maurice!

If you are burnt out, tired of striving to meet your goals every day, tired of your undone to-do lists, and feel like you can't keep a thought in your brain, this book is for you! And, even if you feel on-fire with your to-do list, the tools in this book will prevent burn out and get you to where you want to go sooner and from the state of authenticity.

This is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE books! Thank you, Steve, for writing it, and thank you, Maurice for publishing it! The world is a better place because of your work!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This book is a little bit Eckhart Tolle, a little bit Stephen Covey, a little bit David Allen, and whole lot of empty fluff. If you never read any books on thinking and the mind you may find some of this fresh. But most of this book rehashes the well-known and better expressed work of other authors without adding much. His metaphor of the "Time Warrior" is clunky, and the conclusions he draws are sometimes contradictory. The only extra materials he offers are links to YouTube videos of himself and his music career.

The only thing I can say is kudos to the publisher for coming up with such a catchy title that as someone who should know better, I still bought it. And at the low price, if you have never bought a "self-help" book before, you may be exposed to some new ideas. Just try to find the original sources and use what works and throw the rest away.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 1, 2011
Since I started reading Steve Chandler's books, I have had major shifts in my work and my life. I found him through a woman who works with him and her life has totally transformed.

I've read "Fearless" and "Reinventing Your Life" several times - and now I'm reading "Time Warrior" and all I can tell you is his work revolutionized my attitudes.

I can cite examples of times when in the past I would have given up on something because all the pieces didn't fall into place as I imagined they should - but then I thought of Steve's words - I am an OWNER, not a victim - problems are adventures - and each time I was able to creatively solve the problem and make things happen!!

"Time Warrior" is a tool, every day I read a few chapters and I follow through with actions I haven't wanted to take or hadn't thought of. As someone who went halfway - I'm now using these tools to go all the way with my passions and the work I love and am also dealing with the work I do to earn a living with a much better attitude.

I know I'm on a journey and I'm taking actions towards my goals. In the past two years I've gone through a difficult divorce, lost my mother, my grown daughter moved 3,000 miles away from home, I had to move, find a new job, lost my dog -- I've had so many life events that would have put me on the couch for a long time - instead I've been able to overcome these challenges a day at a time and move forward, in great part, thanks to Steve's writings.

Read all of Steve's books - several times - use them as tools - reinvent your life - and step into your power!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have been meaning to give Steve's book a review for the longest time, but I have found that I can't read this book for very long in one sitting. I am always stimulated into a personal reverie after a few chapters.
I find that I don't want to read any more, but would rather just experience my own thoughts resulting from what I have just read. That's the beauty of Steve Chandler. I find his writing entertaining - he does, too. You can tell. He's mixing it up, he plays at his work. However, the craftsmanship that goes into making this book simple, concise and entertaining is certainly where Steve shines. Time Warrior is, in many ways, a distillation of all of his other books. It's why I don't read very much at once. I just sip it....and that's enough. I'm re-reading it for the third time, but it still seems new. It would be so weird to read it in one sitting - I don't know if I could. It's easy to read, but the effect is potent. Be careful and use it wisely.
on October 1, 2011
Time Warrior---a new classic
This book is oh-so thrilling to me. Because I have been studying and teaching about use of one's time for ten years and I feel Steve has got this topic nailed.
I love his directness and simplicity. His system is focused on being in the present and focusing on one thing at a time---no matter what!. An example for instance is his advice on checking on our email. When we do it--do it completely--answer all letters and have done with it--it's NOW or never. I tried this yesterday. I approached my email, intentionally and leisurely. At the end of my email session, I felt complete and clean. And also much more aware of what was being said to me in the emails. Steve says "I now hold focusing on the task at hand to be a slow and sacred practice." My, my, my, what a wonderful way to live. It takes practice. But one lives one's life more effectively.
He says things in a way that makes us understand it clearly. Maybe we've heard this term-do one thing at a time before--but somehow Steve cuts through our fog and we sit up and pay attention and are actually inspired to do what he suggests.
It's easy to read and would serve as a good reference book. I've read it twice and will read it again soon. I also like that he gives credit to his mentors and tells us how to find them.
One feels that one can trust what he says. Steve has written many books and has been in the motivational field for twenty years. He's worked with hundreds of clients. And he turned his own life around by working with great teachers.
He tackles such big subjects as people pleasing, self- doubt and over-commitment. And he tells us that we must abolish interruptions and distractions in such a way that these admonitions can be clearly heard. "One hour of interrupted time is worth three hours of interrupted time." And he states clearly and succinctly that usually a time management problem is a "lack of purpose" problem.
The person reading his book will learn about returning to the present, over and over and detaching from the future and the past. For as Steve explains, by entering the present, we burst through the barriers of linear-boring old time and become timeless.
Buy this book.
Sandra Niven
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Steve Chandler's ability to communicate core ideas that are meaningful and inspirational to every human being, and yet never stale or trite, is truly his greatest gift. In his latest book, "Time Warrior," Steve not only succeeds in this effort yet again, but actually enables his readers to learn a new way of thinking about time and how to manage it.

The old ways of linear time management are as outdated as the Commodore 64. Classic books of the last generation, such as "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People," weren't written for a world of never-ending, instantaneous intrusions from emails, texts, Tweets and Facebook. Imagine in today's world trying to put a day's worth of, say, 80 emails into your to-do list, evaluating them, prioritizing them and responding to them one-by-one. By the time you finished, you'd have another 80 emails to assess!

In "Time Warrior," Steve Chandler gives us a way out of the seeming madness of modern-day overwhelm by helping us think about time in a different way - a non-linear way. Chandler urges his readers not to simply prioritize and respond to things by how critical or time-sensitive they are to others, but by how relevant they are to our own greater purpose in life.

As Chandler observes, "I have never seen a great time-waster than people-pleasing. The nervous habit of scurrying around trying to win the approval of others. Answering all their emails the minute they come in, taking their every call, fulfilling every request...interrupting myself and my own dream over and over. There's no time left for achievement. For creation."

Slow down, he says. Take a deep breath. Stop letting others dictate your day based on their needs. Start structuring your day based on your own higher need - the need to be creative and productive. Because if you don't take charge of your time, the world at large will, by default, take charge of it for you.

I made a huge change in my life the first time I picked up "Time Warrior" - I turned off my email notifications on my IPhone and IPad. I have chosen instead to let emails accumulate and respond to them at time of my choosing instead of having to think about them as soon as they come in. This one act alone dramatically diminished the intrusions into my productive time. And you know what? The world didn't stop turning. My friends and family didn't abandon me. And none of my clients fired me.

These are the kinds of benefits that come from reading "Time Warrior." Steve Chandler calls himself a coach, but I think history will show that is really a very wise philosopher - and he is just what our modern, manic world needs!
on October 11, 2012
On several occasions in this book, Chandler praises authors for how many books they wrote and how they "didn't think about it" and "just did it". The problem with "just doing it" when writing a book is that you might just write one like this.
There are some good quotes inside it, but there is very little continuity. I read it as an amalgamation of many motivational books that you would definitely accomplish more NOT reading and consider myself a sucker for buying it and subsequently for reading the whole thing.
For the most part, he suggests "just produce something" as a time management strategy in-between a lot of white space on the "2 pages a day" that he mentioned were his goal to write.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations