5.0 out of 5 stars Time Travel with a twist!, August 16, 2011
This review is from: Time's Enemy (Saturn Society Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Time travel can be tricky, especially when you don't know what you're doing as evidenced by one of Time's Enemy's main character, Tony Solomon. First, he falls from a Mayan pyramid and for all practical purposes, dies. Yet, somehow, he is brought back, only to slip into time and literally lose his head as a Mayan sacrifice. As soon as he dies, he's snapped back to the present. Far more confused and now sporting a very thick scar around his neck! And no one seems to notice that time has altered or remade itself.

Now, if discovering you can travel backwards in time isn't nerve-wracking enough, enter The Saturn Society, the educator/protector of time travelers through time. They will protect you, provide you safe haven as you travel, but there's a catch to membership. They also will hunt you down as an enemy of time if you break their rules.

Which, of course, Tony is determined to break.

Time's Enemy by Jennette Marie Powell is a fascinating read. Though time travel romance, and time travel novels in general have been around for a long time, Ms. Powell manages to bring to the genre a fresh face and an adventure that I find inventive. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Sheri L. McGathy, author of Promises and other fantasy works

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, November 26, 2011
Although I had never read a time-travel novel before, I had seen the movie, "Inception". Time's Enemy is every bit as gripping a story. Fast-paced, exciting, and well-grounded in history, it's a real page-turner! The author's research is impeccable, and since I live in Dayton, Ohio, the story's setting, I was impressed with that. It's good to know that a follow-up, Time's Fugitive, is on the way!

5.0 out of 5 stars More Than a Typical Time Travel Romance, November 21, 2011
Time travel romance usually goes like this: a man or woman, through some mechanism, magic or device, travels back in time or into the future. Once they get there, they usually stay there for the duration of the book, learning to deal with their new circumstances and falling in love with someone from that time period along the way.

TIME'S ENEMY is not your typical time travel romance. It takes this general premise and gives it a science fiction edge, taking the reader on a page turning journey. Put it this way, if you take THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT, mix in THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE and sprinkle it with SOMEWHERE IN TIME, you'll get this amazing book.

Time Travel Paradox
Powell uses this principle with deft skill and it's the thing that makes this story shine. Any change in history, no matter how minor, can have dire consequences in the present/future. Every time Tony goes back in time, he does something (often unintentional) to alter history and when he returns, his present is altered because of it. It's when he goes back in time to deliberately change the past that the Saturn Society steps in. He broke the rules and he must be stopped. Now he finds himself on the run, in the present and the past.

Not Your Typical Romance
Most romances have the hero and heroine meet within the first couple of chapters of the book. Not so here. The romance between Tony and Charlotte doesn't even get started until the middle of the book. That's a long time to wait in romance-land, but experiencing Tony's journey getting there was well worth it. I love how the author portrays his confusion and desperation when he starts time traveling. He doesn't understand what's happening, he's scared and disoriented, and has no control over where and when he goes (at least in the beginning).

Not Perfect, but Close
As I said before, I thought this was a page turner of a book. But it's not without its flaws. There are a few points in the middle where the pacing drags in comparison to the fast paced beginning and ending; one chapter makes use of short, choppy scene breaks which bothered me; and the author has an affinity for using parentheses throughout the narrative, which was a bit jarring. I use them a lot myself (as you can tell), just not in my fiction writing. But these flaws were minor, and didn't diminish the enjoyment of the book.

What Makes This A Perfect Indie Book
I'm pretty sure I know why this book didn't sell to the NY Big 6. It's a mix of romance, sci-fi, and paranormal fiction. I'm guessing editors and agents loved it, but just didn't know how to market it. Like many indie books, this one didn't fit in the tidy NY box, but it's definitely one you don't want to miss.

4.0 out of 5 stars A New Travel Tale: Not Just For The Ladies, November 28, 2011
This review is from: Time's Enemy (Saturn Society Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I will not repeat the synopsis for you, others have provided that beautifully. I will just provide my review of the story.
"Time's Enemy" is not for the strict romance reader. This story has a little more violence and blood then many romance
junkies are used to. It also hugs closer to the science fiction side of the story until you get closer to the end. So many men
will find this story just as fascinating to read, so don't just pass it up as a "Ladies Only book". It is fast paced
but sometimes you can get lost when the scene jumps from character and time jump. Stick with it. The only problem I had
was that one such scene gave away too much info as to who a character was. Until that time you had your suspicion and I would
have liked a less contrived reveal. Maybe with the main character of Tony present. I understand though what the author was attempting,
to provide us a glimpse of...2 happenings at the same time, at different points of time and space. Ms. Powell has constructed a
wonderful story that is just beginning. It will make you want to root for the hero and heroine and see them come together come
what may of the rules of Time Travel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book I'll Never Forget!, May 20, 2012
This review is from: Time's Enemy (Saturn Society Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I love time travel stories and sci fi. Nice plus that it's a romance, too. This is a page turner, kept me up late at night. The unique aspects drew me right in, as did the characters, historical settings, and nonstop suspense. I absolutely LOVED this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, April 5, 2012
This review is from: Time's Enemy (Saturn Society Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Last weekend I read Time's Enemy by Jennette Marie Powell. I really recommend you read this book. It is a great tale of time travel and the consequences of messing with the past. Jennette is a fine writer with a master's touch at keeping up the tension. (You have to remember to breathe)
Time's Enemy is Jennette's first novel, or so I believe. This bodes well for the future for she will surely get better and, I for one, can't wait for more adventures of Charlotte and Tony. Great work Jennette

5.0 out of 5 stars I could not put it down..., February 2, 2012
This was the craziest, spottiest, most unbelievable book this reviewer has ever read, but I could not put it down. The characters were clear and well-drawn. The popping in and out of eras and changes in the surroundings in Dayton, Ohio, a place I have lived, failed to confuse me. That says a lot for the skill of the author. The male POV, a hard thing for a woman to sustain, was excellently maneuvered.

Maggie
Reviewer for Coffee Time Romance and More

5.0 out of 5 stars Time's Enemy, November 9, 2011
TIME'S ENEMY

One man against a secret society of time travelers-and the woman he loves.

In a romance, a lot of the tension comes from the author finding ways to make it difficult for the hero and heroine to get together at the end. But at last, love triumphs!

In TIME'S ENEMY, by Jennette Marie Powell, I was beginning to think she had thrown so many impediments in the way, it was going to be not just difficult, but impossible for Tony and Charlotte to ever find their way to a happily ever after. So I just had to keep reading.

TIME'S ENEMY is set in Dayton, OH, Jennette's home town. Tony bounces around in the present, 1913, and 1933 Dayton. Jennette has done her homework well, describing the city in each of those eras that shows a love of her home. She describes the flood of 1913, a major event in Dayton's history, which, of course, affects her characters. Tony realizes that Charlotte's 1933 home doesn't exist in the present because of the construction of I-75. He reads a newspaper in 1933 that is no longer printed. There are so many little historical touches that I began to wonder if Jennette could describe them so well because she had slipped back into the past herself.

And then there is the Saturn Society, a time traveler support group that I'm still not sure whether to love or hate. They help time travelers like Tony, but also keep such strict controls on him he finds himself in danger from them. I guess I'll have to read the next book in the series to find out more about them! Thank goodness TIME'S FUGITIVE will be out in December!

5.0 out of 5 stars I like this author!, December 8, 2013
This review is from: Time's Enemy (Saturn Society Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I'm not normally into time travel books but the premise of this story intrigued me and I had read another of Ms. Powell's books and had enjoyed it. So glad I picked this one up. It's got romance and mystery along with the time travel element, all well developed as are the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars A different kind of time travel, August 10, 2012
This review is from: Time's Enemy (Saturn Society Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I have to admit that I was a bit afraid to read this series because it's set in Ohio, and for some reason I have the hardest time reading books set in my home state. However, I had nothing to worry about because this started off with a lot of action and didn't stop. I loved that this was not your typical time travel romance. It's told from a male's pov, and is a bit like the movie Jumper.

Tony Solomon was on vacation and was on top of a pyramid when he suddenly finds himself thousands of years in the past Without knowing why, he finds himself back in the present in the hospital. He's visited from a group from the Saturn Society, but before he can find out what they are about their representative gets thrown out by security. Tony returns home from vacation and thinks that what happened in the past was just a dream or something. Then he wakes up to find out he's two years in the past. He returns home without knowing quite how he did it, and is again visited by the Saturn Society who tells them that he's a time traveler now because of what happened to him in Mexico. He doesn't really want to believe them, but knows that there isn't any other explanation for what happened to him. He and his wife have become distant from each other since the death of his daughter, and when Tony realizes he can time travel his first thought is to travel back in time and stop her death. He's warned against it, but is determined to find a way to do it.
On one of his time travel trips he meets Charlotte, and saves her from a devastating flood. What I loved best about this was how accurate the descriptions of Dayton in the past were. There was a flood that pretty much wiped out everything in it's path, and the only thing that saved the town was NCR (National Cash Register Company) being on top of a hill, and they helped a lot of the survivors. It was nice seeing how much the town has changed over the years.

There is a romance involved in the book, but I actually enjoyed the time travel scientific parts better.(I know-I can't believe I said that either!) The romance however, was nicely done and I found myself cheering on the couple wanting them to find a way to be together. If you are looking for a different kind of time travel romance, then I highly recommend this one. :)

Time's Enemy (Saturn Society Book 1)
Time's Enemy (Saturn Society Book 1) by Jennette Marie Powell