Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Timex Men's #T78677 Classic Digital Gold-Tone Expansion Band Watch
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 25, 2008
I've owned this watch for a good 15 years. Not one watch, mind you; I've bought the exact same watch about 5 times over that period. It is a good watch, nice looking, loud enough alarm, and it lasts a long time on the included lithium battery.

The watch is definitely waterproof, but although the body of the watch looks like it's made out of metal, it is actually plastic, and the bottom of it will eventually pit out from sweat or water. So, take it off in the shower or pool.

My big gripe about the watch is the band. I prefer metal stretchy bands to metal snap-on bands or leather bands. This is a spiedel-type band, which will stretch over your hand and snap back in place. Frankly, the reason I've had to get so many of these watches over the years is that I will inevitably get the band caught on something while I'm taking off something or putting it on, and it will snap.

It is cheaper to buy an entirely new watch than to replace the band (around $25 versus $14), so that's what I do. I then use the old watches as supplementary alarms for years. And they do last for years.

A good, solid, digital watch that will give you years of trouble free use as long as you treat it right.
66 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2011
I wear this watch all the time. It's funny because it's cheap, but people still notice it because it's gold. WIN.
on August 20, 2015
On behalf of my father, I thank you, Timex. He passed in April of 2015 wearing this watch I bought him for Christmas. The man always said that there was no other watch that would stay running on his wrist. He was convinced he had been shocked too many times as an engineer, or had too much iron in is blood, or that he was in some way magnetic. He was 61, and never was there a time he didn't have this watch, this model, this color, on his wrist all the time. He must have gone through 40 or more. One went over Niagra Falls; one was left in Vegas; one was left with airport security, and countless others succumbed to years of rigorous use, but he never wore anything else. There were even times when he would be without one until he found it at a local store (pre-internet), and in those times he just wouldn't wear anything. Even now, he rests with this watch by his side.

I cannot thank you enough for making a product that matched his personality so well.
on June 12, 2012
Sent my workhorse automatic into the shop for maintenance and needed a temporary watch. Felt like something a little different, so I picked this up. I think I have a new everyday watch!

Really cool color and style (think C3P0, as one of the previous reviews noted). Keeps great time and has all those standard digital features. I would've liked a countdown feature, but you can't have everything at this price. I love the Indiglo although I wish it would stay lit for a few seconds after pressing the button rather than requiring me to hold it down. The screen has a reflective property to it that makes it very easy to read the display when looking at it straight-on. Also, you won't be accidentally pressing any of the buttons since they take a little umph to depress. On top of all that, the price was certainly right.

The watch band is definitely not too small for me. My wrists are probably on the small side for a guy but not overly so and this band has plenty of space - it fits fine but I wouldn't have minded just a bit smaller since it does rotate a little. If you are a big guy the band will stretch, but average should be totally fine.

The band is metal and if the body is plastic it is so close to feeling and looking like metal that I'm not really sure. No scratches on either yet. The band has been pretty good about not catching on my arm hair which I always worry about with stretch bands.

Anyway, this little watch definitely exceeded my expectations and has won a place on my wrist.
VINE VOICEon March 25, 2014
My 15-year-old son saw this watch somewhere and had to have it. Lately he has been into things that look retro (which for parents my age, just seem ordinary), and thought that this watch was so "cool and hip" looking. And even though I would prefer that he have a watch with hands on it (now I am telling my age), I was willing to compromise (ordering this digital one) just to get him to wear a watch, so that he can start managing his time. I think this is the perfect tool for teaching teens how to start getting to places on time. Believe it or not, I don't regret this purchase. Not only is this watch cute (he gets tons of complements from his friends about it), but it wasn't expensive (under $30). And this watch doesn't look cheap or flashy. The gold tone isn't too harsh or too gold. It is just right. And my son loves the fact that the band is elastic and he says that it is very comfortable. I also like the fact that the face of the watch not only shows the time but the date alarm as well. There is even an alarm feature. As well all know, these are great features, especially for students. I give Timex and this watch, 5 stars.
on February 26, 2015
I love this watch so much ☺️☺️Came just in time for my birthday the shipping was very fast and all my friends love it
review image
on June 4, 2015
My new Timex Classic arrived on time (Prime) and in excellent condition. This model Timex has been around a long time and I have owned several of them in both gold and silver over the last 25 yrs or so. I like to use the silver Classic for work and the gold Classic for situations where a more tasteful look is required These are really attractive watches at a reasonable price and they perform very well. The only reason that I decided to replace them from time to time is that I am really tough on watches and have a habit of forgetting to take them off when doing something that could get them banged up. Everyone of my old Classics was still working when I obtained a new one. These are really good watches with a classy look.
The only problem I've ever had with a Timex Classic lies with me rather than the watch. I have large hands and wrists and the included expansion band is just too small for me. I solved the difficulty by purchasing a longer, good quality Twist o Flex band. In this way, most of the time when I bought a replacement Classic I was able to change the watch band from the old watch to the new one without incurring additional cost.
on May 15, 2016
First thing to know about this watch is that the case is a resin (plastic) material, but the band is a nice metal finish. If you're cool with that, I think you'll find this watch to your liking. Despite the resin face, the watch still has a little heft to it, which I can appreciate. The black on gold look is also pretty striking in my opinion.

Of course, this listing notes that the watch band stretches and it's a One Size Fits All. I was glad to hear that! I've got a super tiny wrist, so I (perhaps foolishly?) expected the expansion band to be a perfect fit for me. Wrong. I had to take it to a watch store in the mall and get it resized. The guy charged me $15 for that service. I have no idea if I got ripped off or what, but whatever. I still paid less than $40 when all was said and done. Not bad.

I think the most impressive thing about this watch is just how effective the backlight is. This is my first time using an Indigo watch, but man oh man does it get the job done. I also like the way that the day of the week is shown on the watch. In a small strip right above the time, the day abbreviations appear in order. So if it's Sunday, it'll appear as "Sun" all the way to the left of the watch face. On Wednesday, it will appear as "Wed" closer to the middle. It's a nice detail. The actual numbers for the time are nice and large, making them super easy to read at a glance. Overall, I'm impressed and very pleased with this watch. And for less than $30, I'm downright elated.
on July 9, 2014
Have bought a number of these over the years. Nicest looking all digital watch I have found. Really like the twist-o-flex like band. Battery lasts for years. The lens was never the best quality (plastic) and get scratched up over time causing me to buy another. Unfortunately they have been cutting cost on the plating of the bands and it tends to rub off fairly quickly is some places. I would really like to spend more money for a higher quality version of the same design.
on July 31, 2007
I have a great fondness for Timex watches. They last a lot longer under the kind of wear and tear mine see than other brands I have tried.

I have two problems with this model:

1. It's a little too big for me (Timex no longer makes a ladies version of this watch, so I had to improvise).

2. The hourly chime keeps getting turned on. I don't know how, the method for turning it off again is not obvious (especially without the manual), and there is no visual indication that it has been turned on.