Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on June 29, 2011
Despite some of the other reviews that seem to imply this works with many watches this item is not an ANT+ compatible sensor and will not work with the Timex Ironman GPS watch nor the Timex Ironman Triathalon. Amazon is working with me on the return. And Timex responded with an e-mail that affirmed it is not Ant+ compatible.
11 comment22 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 29, 2010
The Timex strap which came with my Timex Ironman Men's Race Trainer Heart Rate Monitor with Data Xchanger Watch, Black/Grey, Full Size works great. I have had it for a month so I cannot comment on longevity. I always use it with a dab of Spectra 360 Electrode Gel Parker Labs, Each 250GM Tube on each electrode.

The reason for this review is to point out that the Garmin Heart Rate Monitor is compatible with Timex. That is, my Timex Ironman Race Trainer successfully receives the data from the Garmin HRM strap and my Garmin Oregon 450 GPS successfully receives the data from the Timex HRM strap. I wasn't sure that the ANT+ designation meant compatibility across manufacturers, but it seems to be true in the case of Garmin and Timex.

The Timex strap which came with my Race Trainer is marked "M501", so I cannot be 100% sure that it is identical to the T54051 model Timex replacement strap listed on Amazon. But Timex marks the cases of their watches with an Mnnn designation which is different than the model number, so I suspect that the M501 and T54051 are the same item.

At the present time (October 29, 2010), Amazon pricing makes the Garmin HRM strap $20 cheaper than the Timex T54051 strap.

That being said, my initial, cursory testing leads me to prefer the Timex strap because (1) the curves in the breast area of the Timex strap make it more comfortable and (2) the Timex appears to require less gel to transmit reliably -- I have a lurking concern that the Garmin may not transmit as reliably as the Timex but the Garmin gets good reviews from people with more experience than me.
44 comments18 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 25, 2012
I guess I should have read the description better. Does not work with the Timex Ironman Run Trainer. I thought all ANT+ watches worked with all ANT+ Sensors... aarrggg.
Frustrating.

Just make sure this works with your watch.
on February 4, 2008
Bought one with the watch and GPS receiver from ebay. Came here looking for a new one because the plastic started cracking and tearing around the pads that read the heart rate and the watch stopped picking up a signal from it within a year of owning it. Tried to get a hold of Timex because it was still under warranty but I got NO RESPONSE from them. Will try again...but you can bet I will go Polar when I buy a new setup.
on September 25, 2011
It works VERY well with my Timex T5J041 watch. It picks up the signal VERY easily on Dry or Wet skin. So it does it's job very well. However it does not communicate to other devices as well (Fitness Apps for smart phones and Gym equipment with Heart Rate sensors). Polar brand does sync up with other devices.

If I could do it over again, I'd get the Polar brand (though they are often more expensive)
on May 25, 2012
Not compatible with all the heart monitors, this device does not work with my watch, watch instructional support are very clear in the product box and not in the description on the web page.
Now I have this accessory does not work
on September 27, 2012
I was amused when I read on the instructions that "battery life should average two years". I can't get one year out of these straps before they quit working. They seem to use up three or four batteries, then quit transmitting, so my choice is buying the whole package and accumulate watches and non-working straps or to continue to add to my collection of worthless straps. I would welcome input from anyone as to how these can be made to last longer. Are we supposed to remove the battery when not in use? Washing out the units and allowing to dry completely does not bring back the dead units to life. My frustration with Timex is great here, but am not sure of workable solutions.
on May 12, 2008
I have been using the timex heart rate sensor, watch, and GPS sensor for over three months now. Love training by heart rate zones because you don't have to push yourself. You know where to train in terms of your heart rate. I also have the Timex watch and the data recorder that are available from Timex. It is a great system. I record the heart rate data using the data recorder and when I get home, download the data into my computer. I have a complete history of all my workouts right there in the Timex heart rate management software (available free from Timex, comes with the data recorder. Great system! Have some problems occasionally with interference but it happens few times.
11 comment5 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 21, 2010
this monitor is great. it's comfortable to wear for long runs or bike rides and it stays where you put it, no slipping from where it needs to be. it registers heart rate data quickly and accurately to my iron man watch and it lets me know when I am in my target heart range. if i go over my target range it gives me a distinct beep to let me know I am pushing myself too hard.
on January 11, 2013
I was pleasantly surprised that I could buy a replacement sensor without any hassles. My original sensor developed some sort of problem (sweat leaking in?) that caused the reading to sometimes go to 240 bpm while I was exercising. This rendered the max heartrate measurement and often the one minute recovery measurement useless. The new sensor never does this, so I'm happy.