Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Timex Global Trainer Speed and Distance with Heart Rate GPS Watch
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Periphery Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 4, 2011
Nice product. I had a garmin 405 and it didnt have the multi sport function and it was bad in the rain or when it got wet. This one works great I have used it in the pool and the ocean works great. Gps was alittle slow at finding the satellites but when it did was very accurate. heart rate monitor was easy to use and functioned well.
The setup menue was alittle confusing at first but once you figure it out it was easy to move around.
The buttons are big but when I was on my bike it turned off beacuse my hand it the button. When you lock the watch you cant switch the modes or start or stop the watch.
Over all very happy with the watch and it preformed well
on February 5, 2012
Lets start with the primary motivating factor why I bought this watch and not a Garmin...Price. For $130 I got a GPS watch with full ANT+ capabilities that is also waterproof. The nearest equivalent Garmin is the 310xt that runs around $300-$360. I was debating between the Timex and the FR305 but was concerned about the fact that the 305 was not waterproof and that I was going to have to take the watch on and off during transitions (triathlon races).

I have had the watch for about a month now and I wanted to provide my own input on a couple of issues that are mentioned in other reviews.

GPS

I have used this watch in conjunction with a Cateye cycling computer and a Garmin Edge 500 computer. On trips over 30 miles all 3 systems have had a difference of less than .1 miles. In fact I have had the Timex be withing 1/100 of a mile over the same circuit multiple times. I have gained confidence and faith in this watch.

As to the time to get a signal lock. Before each use I leave the watch on a post for about 2 minutes as I stretch and lace up my shoes. By the time I am done getting ready the watch is ready to go. I have had no issues with signal loss during a run or ride.

Software

I feel that this is someplace where the Garmin is clearly superior to the Timex. Now that I have started using both the Garmin Connect site and the Timex Training Peaks site, I find the Garmin site to be much more detailed and have a cleaner user experience. Contrary to one review, I have had no issue uploading my runs to a third party site (BeginnerTriathlete.com).

Battery Life

To soon to tell as I have yet to wear the watch in GPS mode for more than 2 hours. At this amount of time the watch has had more than enough battery to finish a 13.1. I have plans for longer races in the coming months and will update this review if I find it has issues. One thing I do however is ensure I charge the watch prior to all uses.

Overall Impressions

I am completely satisfied with this purchase. While the Garmin software is superior it is not worth 200 dollars more. I have recommended this watch to multiple people and will continue to do so as long as the price stays at the low (sub $150) price point.
on April 21, 2012
I have been using the Global Trainer for a couple of weeks now and am very happy with it. Prior to buying it I read the reviews and was kind of worried about if it would pick up satellites or if the software would be useless, but it is a great product. The watch picks up satellites well in my area, and the data lines up well with my phone and bike computers that I have brought along to check the watch's capabilities. I have absolutely no problem with the software that everyone is complaining about. It graphs my heart rate, speed, and elevation and shows my entire route. Not sure what else people are looking for.
on December 7, 2011
I bought this watch a few months ago. I chose this one over the Garmin 405CX because I was looking for something a little more functional for biking...plus it has better battery life. I have used the Garmin 405CX a few times and I like the Timex better. The screen is bigger and it feels like a normal watch. I'm an average 21 year old male and I don't think the watch itself is ridiculously huge. It fits my wrist nicely and I barely notice it once I start running or riding.

I've read reviews about how the GPS isn't very accurate. They most have fixed that problem in a firmware update when they released their Run Trainer because as far as I can tell the GPS data I get from the GT follows very very closely to what I get from my bike's odometer as well as mapmyrun.com.

Training Peaks is the only downside to the GT. I don't want to pay for the premium software but the free version works just fine for any normal person.
on May 16, 2011
We have two of these units. One has worked great, the other not so good. It has always been off on distance measurements (1/4 mile in 2 miles). Both watches are using the same settings. Just recently the HR function stopped working. We narrowed it down to the sensor (tested with the other sensor). We replaced the battery but no joy. I am now trying to get it replaced.
on May 4, 2012
First of all I am a Garmin user and have the 310XT and 910XT, which I love. But, the limitation with those watches is that I could never use them as simply a watch. I am an ultra marathoner so my only requirement is that the GPS last 10+ hours. I track my workouts and miles on multiple platforms (including TP) and my coaching is on training peaks so it is inevitable for me regardless of like or dislike. The watch itself after the firmware update seems to catch satellite reception quickly and is consistent with my Garmin's in terms of distance accuracy. I have 3 or 4 routes that I run and the distances match my Garmin Data. The amount of information that can be gathered from the watch itself is awesome. Naturally you will need to fiddle with the settings. I really like that I can change the settings on the computer that is a huge plus. I do not like that there is no vibrating alerts since I tend to run with music. I do find that I need to lock the screen because I have accidentally pressed the random buttons during the run. Honestly for the price this watch is a steal, especially since it includes foot pod compatibility and heart rate monitor.
on March 8, 2012
Now, that I have owned and used the watch for a few weeks I can honestly say it works perfect! It was terrible when I first opened it and turned it on. The sat sync took forever. After updating the firmware it found the signal very quickly. If you get this watch make sure you get the firmware update as it fixes many issues with the watch. I could be wrong but I have a feeling the bad reviews on it are from people who did not update the firmware. The only reason I am giving it a 4 and not a 5 is because I wish the face were smaller.
on May 14, 2011
I have been using different brands of cycling gadgets for many years, but have never had so much trouble to configure one before.
In one point I touched a program to change the screen intensity, it became very light and never found how to set it back to normal.

I guess I will keep on using Garmin or Polar equipment .
on January 4, 2012
I have used my Timex Global trainer on 5 runs now. 2 of them were hilly trail runs, 3 were flat city runs. The GPS performed horribly in all cases. One example, running on flat city streets, it estimated that I had climbed and descended over 1000 vertical feet. If I had climbed and descended 30 feet that would have been alot. If I can't trust the GPS to get the elevations correct, then I can't be sure the distances are correct either. So what is the point of this watch? I'm still having to guess how much I am climbing and how far I am running. To get accurate GPS information, one needs to pay an additional $20/month. That's a rip off. I received it for Christmas and I plan to return it.
on June 9, 2011
I followed the directions and was able to access the satellites, but there were just too many functions and I never was able to get the Global Trainer to give me the kind of information I was looking for, i.e., distance, speed, calories burned and heart rate. For some reason, I couldn't even get the timer to reset. When I charged the battery, the timer read 05:00 and I couldn't get it back to 00:00.

In the interest of full disclosure and fairness to Timex, I am somewhat technically challenged. This product may work fine for others who are less technically challenged than I am.

I am training for my first marathon and I just want something to help me log the distances I run, record my pace per mile, and show me how much time my runs take so I can figure out how to get to where I can actually finish a marathon. Just basic information so I can see what I need to do to get from point A -- the starting line -- to point B -- the finish line 26.2 miles later. I returned the Timex and bought a Garmin Forerunner 305, which seems simpler to use, but I haven't tried it out yet. Will write a review when I do.