Top critical review
51 people found this helpful
Good, just not Flawless
on July 1, 2012
So I have been a Timex customer ever since I was a child. Maybe it was the glowing lights or just the green one I got when I was young. Anyways, I decided to pick this up, despite the high price, and get a watch that had a compass and temperature display.
1. WOW that is a massive watch. It is probably bigger then a 50-cent piece. It is nearly 2 inches, more if you include the buttons. Definitely not for small hands/wrists. given it's bulk, I wish the band had more adjustment in terms of its bracelet size. It is quite large, but it would be nice to have a 1/4-1/2 inch section which you could "fine tune" the fit. The face of the watch is 1/2"+1/32" thick as well. Just something to keep in mind.
2. The temperature must sit off of your hand for at least 20-30 minutes to be correct. If not, it is just your wrist temperature. In my opinion, DUMB position to put the thermistor.
3. The watch doesn't do Compass, time, and tide.... it does compass, temp, OR tide. The three buttons control which is being displayed.
4. The actual dial face of the watch has no numbers, even through it has the room, and the increadibly small text for the temp and others, is more then difficult/impossible to read at night because the indiglo light lights EVERYTHING apart from the center circle. (Everything from the inner silver colored band outward)
5. The compass/temp/tide and seconds arm isn't made with night glowing display luminescent paint. This means if you want to see seconds, or the 3rd "utility" arm of the watch, it isn't actually going to be visible at night automatically. This is tragic because when you have the hours/minutes glowing against the dark face, the way the arms are shaped makes it a truly beautiful image.
6. The outer face with the N/S/E/W and degrees is poorly finished. It isn't the same accuracy and quality as the inner face, which makes it disappointing because they will almost always be seen side by side. The inner face work is a masterpiece (apart from numbers), but the exterior needs to be a bit more accurate in its markings. For instance, on mine... The "N" is slightly crooked and doesn't center on the compass offset marks.
7. EXTREMELY POOR PACKAGING. Firstly, amazon shipped it in a large box with 3 air bladders which did absolutely NOTHING to help protect the item during shipment. By box arrived with tape torn and practically opened for me. The watch is on a store display plastic stand that probably was made for wal-mart and not people buying a 200 dollar watch. The box it arrived in is the same size as the stand. The watch had 1/2" of clear tape to protect it from zip-ties holding the watch onto the stand. Unfortunately one of them was 2" higher then the clear tape and did nothing but scratch the band in order to get the watch off. Again, The watch is wonderful, it is just tragic that it was finished so poorly and that this packaging was my first impression.
As far as one NICE feature of this watch, the way the bracelet opens/locks is extremely nice. It has a large dual button (dual button is standard, yes?), but the way the buttons are positioned and the design of them are truly one of the nice finishes on this watch.
Overall I enjoy the watch and am going to keep it. The $5 dollar 4-year warranty extension is a nice touch as well, just go through the hassle of actually doing it and you have a MUCH longer warranty. I will add some pictures to the amazon posting to help those who are interested see what I am talking about, just make sure you take the time to look at them.