Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on March 1, 2010
I have been using Timex Ironman watches for more than 20 years. I love them and never wear anything else.

I bought this one for two reasons:

1.) The display is big and easier to read during workouts than some of my other watches;

2.) I like new gadgets.

I took the watch for my first swim workout and during a 2,000 yard swim, the stopwatch randomly recorded a split 87 times. Sometimes, it would record a split every 5-10 seconds, for no reason.

I attribute this to either the tap screen being defective or there is a small leak in the watch, which will eventually destroy the watch.

Otherwise, the watch is just about like every other Ironman watch, though I really do like the large display and the tap-screen function is kind of cool and allows for mindless split recording in the middle of a workout or a race.

I have contacted the seller for a replacement and will post an update when I get a new one.

***MARCH 13, 2010 UPDATE***

I received my second watch from the seller. It too has the same flaw. As I told them in an email - Timex has a fundamental design flaw with the Tap Screen: Even at the highest tap setting, when you swim, unless you place your arm gently in the water on each swim stroke, it records that stroke as a tap i.e. a lap. Obviously, this is useless to a triathlete.

I actually live about 15 miles from Timex headquarters. It is a great company, with great people. Timex supports local races that I compete in and I have nothing bad to say about it as a company. I just can't believe that it would release a watch for TRIATHLETES that does not work in the water. It took me exactly five minutes each with two separate watches to determine that the tap screen technology is flawed. How did this product ever make it out of testing???

This is simply an unfortunate mistake by Timex.

If you are just running and/or biking, the watch may be OK. If you are a triathlete, avoid this watch like the plague. I just wish I could give it zero stars.

***MARCH 27, 2010 UPDATE***

The seller of this product - Clever Training - is great. They were very cooperative and after the second watch was returned, issued a full refund. I would definitely do business with them again. (Though I think Timex should reimburse me for the shipping charges to send back two of their defective watches.)
77 comments|118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2010
I bought the Ironman Sleek 150 with TapScreen technology mainly for the large watch face so that I can better see my times during workouts and races. I thought the tap technology would be cool too. However, I have now had the watch a little over a week and completed three swim works out with it on. During the workouts the watch, all on its own, recored several lap splits without me touching anything. I don't know if it is a flaw in the tap technology design or what, but if this happens during a triathlon it defeats the purpose of accuratly keeping track of your split times. I am also worried that the watch will at some point leak during a swim, due to this problem, and ruin the watch. I am very disappointed in this watch. I have always raced and trained with a Timex Ironman watch, and this is the only one I have had problems with. The fact that it cost $90 doesn't make me feel any better. The best thing about the watch is the large face and the sleek design, as well as the many functions, but the tap technology isn't working correctly for me. This is a brand new product and I should have waited and read reviews before I purchased it.
on April 5, 2010
I have the same problem with the tap technology -- my watch logs laps randomly even on my easy runs (with the tap force setting set on "High"). This is possible to reproduce, try flipping the watch upside down (with the screen face down) and gently tap at it, it's logging a lap with almost no force tap at the "high force" setting.

This makes logging laps impossible, affecting target time pacer as well.
on November 25, 2015
I have worn timex watches since my first watch nearly 45 years ago. I loved an earlier version of this watch, which I wore for exercising, but not to swim in. Had an ongoing issue with it, though, when it DID get damp. I'd get some condensation inside -- but that would dry up after a few days. What I REALLY liked was the size of the numbers. The buttons at 2:00 and 3:00 stopped working. Figuring it was a flaw in that particular watch, and not the model, I put the same watch on a birthday wish list and got one. Almost immediately, the condensation problem began. Similarly, the buttons at 2:00 and 3:00 did not work. Then, forgetting I was wearing it, I dunked it (you couldn't even really say submerged it). That was all it took to kill this watch. D-E-A-D. This was NEW 8 weeks ago. I have never changed the battery so it's not like I screwed up the seal (I think my changing the battery in the old one is what killed the buttons). Checking the Timex website too, makes it sound like they are not too willing to address problems like this (MUST BE RETURNED TO ORIGINAL SELLER!), but I got mine as a gift. I may be forced to become a Casio customer.
review image
on May 21, 2011
Don't do it! I read the reviews before making the decision to purchase this watch and I chose to take the chance on the watch. This chance has not turned out to be a good "gamble" on my part. I work out frequently and do fitness training, which includes my watch at every training session. During my workouts, I have had a problem with the watch stopping because the stop/reset button is sensitive and while my wrist is fully extended the button is pressed and stopped. I have had this problem happen many times, but only with this TIMEX watch and not any of my previous watches. The other problem has happened while mountain bike riding. Sometimes the rides can be bumpy enough that the tap feature is triggered and switches to the next lap. So far, I have been unhappy with my purchase. Although, the watch is beautiful. I love the way it looks and would love to simply turn off the tap feature. If that was made possible, then the watch would turnout to be much better...even though the tap feature was a selling point for me while swimming.
on October 26, 2013
For the low Amazon price this watch was a true bargain. It does everything and displays it in big legible type. The tap screen function would be better if in addition to lap times, you could just tap the screen for night illumination, instead of searching in the dark for the indiglo button. Oops. Too good to be true. Indiglo backlight dies after first battery change. Watchmaker said this seems to be a big problem with Timex Indiglo watches.
on February 13, 2014
The product was received pretty fast. The material was as described and much better. The only complain is while I train for swimming. To stop the watch is a bit difficult and I miss the time which frustrates me. However, the numbers are big which is great to see clearly. The tapping is weak technology. If you set it in light tap mode the splash of the hand with the water stops the watch, if you put it on medium setting then it is difficult to stop it while you swim. However, I do recommend this product to anyone if they are running or doing something else other than swimming.
on July 18, 2012
I've had this watch for nine months and I really liked it, nice appearance and big screen with big numbers make it easy to use when running. Is not as easy to use as other similar watches, so I have been using it just as a watch and not for running. The straps are bad quality, mine is already broken and have only used it for few running and for work (office), the strap can't be replaced. It is a cheap watch and can't expect more for the price. I've had other sport watches (casio, polar, sunnto) and by far this has been the inferior in quality and durability. If I have to purchase another sport watch it will definitelly not be a TIMEX. I rather pay a littel more and buy a better watch with the same or more functions.
on June 16, 2013
Had some high expectations of the "tap" screen function of this watch. They should have delivered a hammer with it because one has to "tap" extremely hard on the screen to have it function. Even at the most sensible setting you have to tap with too much force. I'm a runner and tried all 3 settings. The only one that works SOMETIMES is the sensitive one. Unfortunately, sometimes it does not respond on a tap so later when reviewing your workout or race, you will miss something....Bought it to replace my Nike watch that I had for 7 years and worked until recently once in a while did not register/save all the laps because that button was worn out a bit. For the rest the Timex watch is okay. However, you can not reset the watch. It does that itself, after 150 laps.... hmmm
on November 14, 2010
I really wanted to like this watch because on paper it looks like the perfect watch for a triathlete. Unfortunately the execution is poor.
Pros: I like the nutrition reminders and the ability to recall up to 150 splits, this really is a full featured watch.
Cons: The biggest flaw is the tap technology. I wanted to use this to record swim laps but it just doesn't work in the pool. If your hand is under water the watch doesn't record the tap because of the dampening effect of the water. So that means I have to lift both hands out of the pool on every lap. Hitting the lap button on my old Ironman watch was much easier. You can adjust the tap sensitivity but if I use it on anything less than 'hard' it records random laps, also not very useful. My other big issue is with the small ring that holds the excess arm band from sticking out. It simply doesn't work well, so the band is constantly popping out (10+ times a day) of the holder and sticking straight out, really annoying.