5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for a basic GPS watch
I've been running recreationally for four years, three to four times a week, usually with one long run on Sundays. I bought this watch two weeks ago because I wanted a cheap, simple, waterproof GPS watch that shows current running speed.

Published on April 18, 2012 by Tatjana Injac

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well if you're okay with its limitations
Published on April 13, 2012 by GDB

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for a basic GPS watch, April 18, 2012
This review is from: Timex Marathon GPS Watch (Watch)

For those of you new to GPS watches, you should know that GPS watches don't give you an instant pace, but an "average" current pace over some number of seconds. During my first run, I did a little experiment to see how fast this watch picks up the change in speed. At warm-up, watch was showing 6.1min/km. I sped up to the pace I know from experience was about 5 min/km. Initially nothing happened. After 20-30 seconds, pace changed to 5.8, then after another 10-15 seconds to 5.6, and it kept going down. It took around a minute to go down to 5.1min/km.

It is fairly simple to use: you press the GPS button, wait 30 seconds to pick up the signal, click "Mode" few times till you find "Run", and press "Start". Watch display is quite large, easy to see, and you can adjust the contrast of letters vs the background. Display shows time/distance/current pace. You can change that to time/distance/km/ per hour (for biking) or time/distance/calories or few other combinations.

You can do automatic laps, or splits, and you can use it indoors, like a normal chronograph watch.

The watch is fairly bulky, like other GPS watches on the market.

Pros:
-Great battery life of 8 hours of running (apparently it lasts few months as a normal watch)
-Easy to re-charge off the USB port
-Waterproof, you can swim with it
-The cheapest GPS running watch on the market
-Intuitive

Cons:
-No option of downloading data , although you can save the runs and review them on the watch. One of the web reviews said that Soleus cable can be used to download data, but Timex company has obviously chosen not to offer that option.
-No heart rate monitor (there is a small heart symbol, and my suspicion is Timex has not provided that option, either, probably because nobody would be buying their more expensive watches if this one offered the same features for a third of the price)
-Buttons are sensitive, I switched indiglo light on few times by accident.

For the price of $99, this is a very good value. It's so much cheaper than other GPS watches on the market. If you need a very basic, no-fuss watch to monitor your time, distance and pace on medium to long runs, this will do the job.

I would prefer to give it 4.5 stars due to sensitive buttons, but apart from that, the watch does what it promises, and price is amazing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well if you're okay with its limitations, April 13, 2012
GDB (Louisiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Timex Marathon GPS Watch (Sports)
I purchased this GPS watch to help my training for an upcoming 10K. I was looking for a watch that could tell me my current pace, because I was trying to maintain a 7.5min/mile pace for my training. The watch fit well and is a little bulky, but that is to be expected. The GPS took about 30 seconds to fix, and that was after I found a clearing where there was no tree branch overhang. I usually start my runs with a short walk followed by a slow jog for a quarter mile where I will then stop and strech for a bit before I start the bulk of my run. I did not stop the timer because I was more interested in the distance I covered and my current pace, so I didn't care that the timer was still moving (Starting a timed run is how the process works. You start the timer with the GPS active and it measures distance, pace, and time elapsed). What I noticed after I began running again at a fairly fast speed - what I thought was approximately a 7.5 min/mile pace, was that the pace it was reporting was still in the high teens and only slowly incrementing downwards as I ran. I stopped my run, reset the clock, and restarted. It then showed a much faster speed. Long story short is that the pace the watch offers is only an AVERAGE PACE, not a CURRENT PACE. I scoured the small booklet that comes with it to see if I could change a setting, but alas not. I am sending it back because although overall pace might be good for a long run where current pace is not as important, but for those who are doing speed work or interval runs who need to know how fast they are going AT THAT MOMENT, then this watch will not suit.

If anyone can tell me another GPS watch that offers the feature I seek at this watch's price point I would be grateful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple GPS Watch, December 2, 2012
This review is from: Timex Marathon GPS Watch (Sports)
This is my 3rd GPS watch. The first 2 were Garmin and Motorola. Garmin was getting old and could not get satellite fix reliably, while the Motorola was full featured but recently it has been recording my runs as multisport much to my annoyance. I switched to this watch thinking less features may mean less possible points of failure.

I like the simplicity of this watch. While on the run, tells you your time, distance covered and (almost) current pace. There are options to view other data but usually the default is good enough for me. After your run, you will then be able to see a whole load of other data points such as average pace and lap times. The waterproofing gives me peace of mind when the weather gets wet.

The bulk is not too bad really, it's not much bigger than most GPS watches out there. It looks and feels so regular that I wear even when I am not running.

I wish I could upload my runs to track them. Right now I just have to record my times manually. I also wish the charging cable is a generic USB port rather than a proprietary clip so that I could charge it in different locations. But I think that would make it more difficult to waterproof the watch.

So far I am happy with the watch. It does what it says. Getting a GPS fix is fairly quick at about 30 secs which is good enough for me.

Once again, five stars if I could upload my runs. But at this price I think they've done an honestly good job.

Go for it if you want a simple GPS watch with no upload feature.

5.0 out of 5 stars GPS Watch, October 25, 2012
This review is from: Timex Marathon GPS Watch (Sports)
The Times Marathon GPS Watch was exactly what I wanted. It accurately tells me the distance of all of my runs and also the time. I can also set it to tell me my split time at different distances. I have been wanting a GPS running watch for 2 or 3 years to tell me the distance of my runs more accurately than I was getting by estimating them by time. I didn't want to pay $300 or $400 and this came along at just under $100. The display is easy to read and it does update your approximate pace every few seconds. You can also stop and restart the stopwatch if you have to stop at a stoplight. You can store the data from up to 30 runs to look back at later. You have to charge it on your computer and I was a little worried about that, since I only have a laptop, but it works fine. I'm extremely happy with purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, April 26, 2012
eileen uberti (Manahawkin, NJ, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Timex Marathon GPS Watch (Sports)
My husband got this watch for me! For what I like to see while I am running this is great! I haven't run into any problems yet. The GPS does take a few minutes to locoate but then it works fine. I see my pace, mileage & actual time it is taking me. That is all I need. I would highly recommend it!

2.0 out of 5 stars This watch has given me trouble, March 1, 2013
This review is from: Timex Marathon GPS Watch (Sports)
I have been running for about ten years. I ran with a Garmin 405 series for 3 years until the mode button broke. I got the Timex because it was low in cost, waterproof, and it seemed to have all the features that other GPS watches have. Within the first year of having it, one of the buttons on the side stayed pushed in. I sent the watch back and they fixed the problem for free. I have a friend that has the same watch and the same thing happened to his. Now the charger on mine is broken. One of the prongs has broken off. I have to tape it down every time I charge the watch.
I ran a trail marathon and the GPS kept cutting out. The total mileage for the marathon said I had ran 10.10 miles! My husband was running with his Garmin with me during the race and his read 26.3. That was not the first time the GPS has cut out on the watch. It's also very bulky and the memory doesn't hold a lot of data. I don't recommend this watch to anyone who wants the best product out there.

2.0 out of 5 stars Eh ok gps, April 7, 2013
This review is from: Timex Marathon GPS Watch (Watch)
Takes FOREVER to locate a gps signal!!! This alone knocks off a few stars since the other features are marginal and standard on other gps watches. If I could buy another, I would go with a Garmin!

2.0 out of 5 stars Obviously not designed by a runner!, October 21, 2013
This review is from: Timex Marathon GPS Watch (Watch)
This is the first GPS I have ever bought. About the only thing good I can say about the product is that I got it for a pretty low price. The minutes/mile pace numbers at the bottom are huge and easy to read, but useless while actually running. This would be a good idea to have these numbers large if it actually worked in real time. The top line of numbers is the time elapsed while running and is somewhat difficult to quickly read while running partially to the slightly too small size and due mostly because the numbers run together without any space between the numbers. If your current time running is for example 20 minutes, 30 seconds and 52/100ths it looks like this on your watch: 203052 with no space between the numbers! Yes, there is a ' between minutes and seconds, and a " between seconds and hundreths, but is designed in such a way that there is still no space between the number digits. 20'30"52 typed allows space between the numbers, but on this watch the numbers are not spaced as I just typed. If it was, it would at least be easier to read while on the run. The normal format of 20:30 with the 52 hundreths in smaller font would be easier to read.

Also, there are other brands of watches the same price range that I could have bought, but I bought Timex wrongly thinking at least the inner part of the watch was built in the U.S. However, it is all manufactured in China with Chinese materials. No reason to buy for the Timex name. I have yet to buy any electronic device made in China that does not fail in a short period of time. Will be surprised if this watch is still functioning properly in a year.

If you are looking for a low end GPS watch, get the one with the largest numbers for time elapsed and distance numbers. Does not matter which brand since they all appear to be made in China. The only real use for the pace time is after you stop your run and view the average pace overall and for each lap. I realize that pace in real time is not accurate even on the high end watches, but knowing this, it is important to get a watch where these numbers are small so that there is room to make the important real time numbers large such as running time elapsed and distance. Also, even though I have figured out on my own how to use many of the functions of the watch, it could be alot more user friendly. The mini-manual that comes with the watch tells you very little. This watch will serve its purpose, but I would recommend getting a competitor model that has larger digits.

5.0 out of 5 stars For runners, March 31, 2013
This review is from: Timex Marathon GPS Watch (Sports)
This watch is exactly what I needed.I don't use statistics on my computer, and for the basic need from a GPS watch - distance,pace it does a great job.

I helped me keep a pace in a 3:15 Marathon...

4.0 out of 5 stars Light, cheap and effective, October 17, 2012
This review is from: Timex Marathon GPS Watch (Sports)
I've had this watch for over 1.5 years now and it has been great! As you can tell by the design, it is not huge and bulky. The watch is lightweight, water resistant and very easy to use. ALthough it has no heart rate monitor or altimeter, the use of this watch provides time, distance, pace, calories burned (estimate) and other basic watch functions. I have already ran 4 half marathons and will be using this watch to help me keep on pace for a full marathon this year in december. The watch helps me train for all my races and as a basic watch wherever i go.

On the downside, you need to charge the battery, but this can be solved by plugging into via USB through your laptop/computer. The only other thing i can think of is that it may take more than 30 seconds for the GPS to lock onto a satellite (hence a 4 star rating). So be sure you start searching at least 5 minutes before your event. Otherwise, this watch is lightweight, very affordable, simple to use and a great pickup. Enjoy the product and spread the word!

Timex Marathon GPS Watch