1,207 Reviews

Published on January 29, 2008 by Gut Monkey

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed with perfomance
Published on March 1, 2009 by Robin W. Gates

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Display and Very Repsonsive, January 29, 2008
This is my fourth HRM and by far the best. The display is big and very readable even in dim light without using the indiglo. My last two HRMs were the older model Timex Ironman 100 lappers. They became very unreliable even with new batteries. I used to have to use electrode gel just to get them to work at all. This HRM gives me an accurate reading immediately and continues to do so as my heart rate changes during my workout. It works great even without electrode gel. It doesn't have any fancy features but I don't need them. It does record your time in the zone that you can set and you average and peak heart rates. It also has a recovery time feature that measures how many BPM your HR drops in one minute. The sensor belt will also work with the HR display most treadmills and other indoor machines. This HRM has already improved my training significantly because it is so accurate and responsive. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Timex T5G971 A Perfect Choice, March 21, 2008
If you are looking for a heart monitor which is easy to use and very accurate this is the one for you. I am 53 y.o. in cardiac rehab. A similar Timex model was one of the HR monitors recommended by the rehab staff. However after much comparison shopping, this monitor had additional features including calorie counting, target heart rate beep which you activate if you want it on and indigo light. The strap is very light and comfortable. It is also extremely accurate and it comes with a user replacement battery. I just love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Features at a Good Price, April 20, 2008
J. Polinkas "Mr. Jay" (Palatka, Florida. USA) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a heartrate monitor to track not only my aerobics workouts but also my weight training workouts. I wanted a wireless monitor with a large enough display so it was easy to read (yes, I've joined the reading glasses population). I needed to be able to replace the batteries myself, and it would be nice if it could tell time in case I wanted to use it as a watch.

The Timex met all my needs and at a very good price. I was a bit concerned because I have a 54" chest and a fairly large wrist. I was also concerned because the packaging is not specific about whether it has a coded signal so that it does not pick up other heartrate monitor signals. The chest strap fits me well but if my chest gets too much larger, it's going to be a bit snug. The wrist band also fits but it's in the last hole, and so far, I haven't picked up anyone else's monitor or bled over onto anyone else's cardio machines.

I'm very satisfied with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes workouts more fun!, June 17, 2008
This is my first heart rate monitor, and I really couldn't be happier with it. The watch displays your heartbeat in real time with the little heart icon on the face. It recalculates every two seconds. It's simple to program it to your weight and target heart rate (just read the instructions), and the 'recall' button tells you all you want to know - time in your target zone, average heart-rate, estimated calories burned, etc.

Previous reviewers have said that they don't like not being able to see the time of day when the watch is in heart-rate mode. If you press the 'set' button it displays the time.

I'm in the process of burning off about 25 lbs of excess fat this summer. I'm cycling across the USA in my living room. This monitor is a very helpful tool for maximizing my cardio sessions. It's accurate, it makes workouts more fun and it lets me know when I have to get moving a little faster.

There's been a significant price increase since I bought this monitor (I paid $44 three weeks ago, now it's listed at $69?). But if I had it to do over, I'd still go with the Timex over the cheaper, lesser-known brand listed along side this monitor. If you look thru the reviews, more people are satisfied with the Timex and you know you're dealing with a reputable company who will honor their warranty.

The only 'cons' I can think of - #1 - The chest strap sometimes beeps when sitting idle, I guess because of electronic interference. This is not an issue when wearing the strap, but I'm thinking it may kill the battery before its time (easily replaced). #2 - The clasp on the chest strap is a bit scrawny. You have to force the tab thru it a little. I've seen no stress wear to the female part of the clasp, but if this part fails eventually, the business part of the chest strap will need to be replaced.

I hate to recommend products to anyone, and it's very rare that I'd five-star anything. But I can honestly say that this item has met or exceeded all of my expectations.

Congrats to the Celts!

4.0 out of 5 stars Stoplights make my heart go pitter patter, May 3, 2012
I might have used this Timex longer than ten months had I lived in a different neighborhood (more on that later).

The Timex had its share of one-star detractors. Many of those were easy to dismiss (the chest strap didn't fit my tiny/huge chest/wrist; the watch didn't work out of the box, and it's ugly; the manual is poorly written; THE BEEPING IS REALLY LOUD; I'm a spleen and I don't know how to operate electronics). I was worried about the short battery life that some experienced (but batteries are cheap) and the unreliable transmitter issues (but there were plenty more five-star fans). Keeping in mind Amazon's easy-return policy, as well as the tendency of certain reviewers to have only five or one star modes, I took a chance on my first heart rate monitor...

...and the Timex was just fine. The instructions manual may not have been written in iambic alexandrine, but it was understandable. I personalized the settings (time, date, weight, age, heart rate zones) in a couple of minutes; my spleen could've done it in under five minutes. The aesthetics were of the late plastic/rubber era: forward, functional, not quite suited for a black-tie affair, but not hideous either. The watch picked up my heart rate within ten seconds, and displayed it bright and clear. Having never worn a chest strap before, I didn't know what to expect, but it was comfortable, light, non-chafing. It fit me well, and it was clearly adjustable to a wide range of sizes. Nor did it complain about hirsuteness, as others had warned.

Its feature list was basic, but so were my needs (at first, at least):

- It displayed instantaneous heart rate, which helped me triple my running range over the course of six months (that sounds more impressive if I don't tell you the starting distance).

- During the run, it could show the time of day, duration of run, duration in desired heart rate zone, and calories burned with the touch of a button. It also saved such data from the most recent run.

- The watch beeped whenever I ran outside my heart zone (too slow or too vigorous), and gave the option to mute the beeping in those instances when I was doing it on purpose (warm up or sprints).

- Speaking of beeping, the strap emitted a gentle beep with each heart beat to let me know its sensors had made appropriate contact with my skin (I had hoped for occasional inappropriate contact too).

- I ran in the driving rain a handful of times, and I experienced no transmission interruptions during the runs or short-circuited repercussions afterwards, though I did get a mild case of the sniffles.

- I had no battery issues for the 10 months of use, but I bought a pair of fresh batteries just in case; better to have them handy than to be caught waiting without them. I'm full of such wisdom.

The main issue I had was the following: Power lines and stoplights seem to use the same frequency at which the transmitter in the chest strap broadcasts the heart rate to the watch, and so they interfere with the signal. I experimented with the pattern of the interference and discovered that the heart rate reading would spike/drop at the exact same three locations in my neighborhood: two were under power lines and one was near a stoplight. I could even tell whether the stoplight was going to change based on the watch's reading (they called me Old Qwfwq the Qlairvoyant). So I either had to plan my runs around the neighborhood's electrical fields, which was a bit of a drag but not a huge deal, or else I had to ignore the spikes and hope I wasn't having a heart attack at that very time. Compared with all the good the Timex did, this was a minor issue. It was a flaw nevertheless, and it might help explain the transmitter problems (both indoors and out) other reviewers complained about.

Also of minor note, I had to be careful when I took off the sweaty strap. If the wet sensors were touching something, they kept on transmitting via a weird feedback loop, and the gentle beeps of the strap recorded some phantom heartbeat. The fix was easy: just hang the chest strap to dry so it's not folded on itself.

This heart rate monitor convinced me that I wanted to run outdoors, and that I wanted a heart rate monitor companion on my runs. But in the course of using it, I learned that I wanted more--an MP3 player so I wouldn't have to lug my smartphone around, and a GPS device (also on the smartphone) so that I could follow the road less travelled and still know my distance and pace, an easy record-keeping system so that I wouldn't need a journal or a spreadsheet, and a transmitter that didn't get talked over by power lines. I found all these in a Motoactv and a Wahoo.

Call my four stars sentimental if you must: the Timex still retains a special place in my heart. It's simple, it works, and it introduced me to my pulse.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Heart Monitor for the Money, October 12, 2008
I bought this heart monitor after burning through two (more-expensive) Polar F6 heart monitors in two years, part of a healthy eating/exercise plan that helped me lose 100 pounds in a year.

In general, I like the Timex T5G971 very much -- particularly for the money. It's functional, easy to program & use, and easy to read. It lacks the more sophisticated display screens of the Polar, but I don't need these any longer now that I am in weight/health-maintenance mode. I also like the fact that you can replace the battery in the sensor strap, and that I can probably get a local jeweler to replace the watch battery when it goes (both of which were not possible with the Polar).

However, I have two criticisms:

First, do yourself a favor: put a fresh battery in the sensor strap before you program and use the watch. I didn't do this, and almost gave myself a heart attack trying to get my heart rate up to my usual exercise level before realizing that the watch reading was about 50 bpms off because of a dying battery. I replaced it (easy) and the watch works fine now.

Second, the calorie counter seems to run a bit "hot." On the same 90-minute exercise program, my Polar would record 700 calories while the Timex will record 1000 or more. My Tunturi bike counter seems to run closer to the Timex, so I am guessing that the right number is somewhere in between. We will see as the weeks wear on.

Overall, I am glad that I bought this watch -- at least so far.

==========
It's December 20, and I have been using the Timex T5G971 Unisex Sports Personal Heart Rate Monitor Watch for several months now and I am very happy with it. My only quibble is that it seems to go through batteries quickly (at $5 a pop), but that may be because I am using it a lot to time workouts. Also, I find it a bit difficult to insert the new battery in the chest strap. Finally, I find that I must make sure that the watch is on very tightly or it won't pick up a pulse. Since I am already on the last hole in the strap, I guess I can't afford to lose any more weight (ha ha). If you have trouble getting it to pick up a pulse, try rubbing the back side of the watch lightly with a cloth, then try again. Overall a great product for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can keep a beat, now., March 10, 2008
With so many heart monitors available, I had some difficulty deciding on what to buy. I decided on the Timex T5G971 because I have always wore the Timex Iron Man. I have come to know Timex as a dependable and affordable sport time piece, and so far I am very happy with the heart monitor. It was easy to set up and works great! I have also read that other brands require that you send off to the company for replacement batteries, but such is not the case with the Timex.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, April 29, 2008
The product is very easy to use once you read the directions. It syncs up easily with the watch monitor. One extra bonus that I did not anticipate is that it syncs with the cardio machines that I use at the gym, so I don't even need to look at the watch to see my heart rate. I have also enjoyed seeing the duration of my workout and how many calories I burned.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed with perfomance, March 1, 2009
Robin W. Gates (Middleton, WI United States) - See all my reviews
I just purchased this item and am returning it today because it didn't work well at all. I have had several heart rate monitors so I am very familiar with using them. The problem I had with this model is that it would not reliably pick up the signal from the chest band. I followed directions on wetting the band and even used special gel to get better contact. Sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't. Even when it did pick up the signal, the rate shown was very inaccurate. For example it would show a rate of 109 which I am sure my heart rate was at least 140. Also, when it did pick up the signal, the display would often freeze and not change for many minutes.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Heart Rate Monitor for a Great Price, February 28, 2008
Sandy (San Antonio, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Timex T5G971 Unisex Sports Personal Heart Rate Monitor WatchI bought this heart rate monitor for both my husband and myself. We wanted one that we didn't have to send back to the manufacture or dealer everytime it needed a battery in the chest strap such as the Polar.

We've only been using them for about a month, but so far we really like them. It is very easy to learn hoew to set it and use all of the features. It also is very easy to get started. I put it on and just put a little water on the senors. In the past some of the HRM's I have owned I actually had to start sweating before they would engage.

The only thing on the negative side is that you can not see the time when you are in the Heart Rate Mode. That mode is all you can see. It bothers my husband, but not me.

I'd rate it a 5 instead of a 4, but we really haven't used them long enough to see if changing the battery goes smoothly. The 1st one we bought the buttons were jamed and my husband did change the battery to see if that was the problem. The battery was easy to change in the chest strap, but we had to send it back. The exchange went easily with Amazon.

Timex Personal Trainer Heart Rate Monitor