5.0 out of 5 stars Insanely Elegant Simplicity

3.0 out of 5 stars mixed feelings
Published on May 11, 2011 by Anil

5.0 out of 5 stars Insanely Elegant Simplicity, June 23, 2009
Scott (Valley Village, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Timex Men's T205019J Easy Reader Black Leather Strap Watch (Watch)
This watch is, in my opinion, gorgeous in its simplicity. I also like that it is sort of the ultimate "not fancy" watch. It has no extra buttons, no date function and it proudly says Timex at the top. The indiglo feature is the only concession to technology and I love that, too -- it works great. One reviewer said it was a bit thick. Doesn't seem so to me. The band doesn't seem like the highest quality leather (would you really expect it to on a watch at this price?) but it looks good to me on the wrist. I have several much more expensive watches and, at the moment, I'd have to say this is my favorite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good watch for Seniors, May 10, 2007
I bought this for my mom's birthday. She loves that the watch face is clear and very readable. She has had eye surgery and can see the face of the watch and numbers without any problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Plain, intensely practical . . ., February 29, 2008
The Easy Reader was my step-mother's choice when her eyesight began to dim. After her passing, while going through her estate, my wife discovered the old watch, still ticking faithfully. A former nurse, she has always worn practical watches, and this one suited her well. She may wear a more attractive piece of jewelry when we go out, but still wears the Timex at night, although she has to be careful not to get it wet - it's not highly water-resistant.

A discount store clerk, endeavoring to change the battery, destroyed the original watch, but the store replaced it, saving us even the cost of a battery. The first watch ran flawlessly for some 15 years, and this one is now approaching it's sixth anniversary without a hiccup.

She likes the plain case, the large, easily readable face, and the Indiglo backlighting that not only lets her see the time in the bleary hours before dawn, but that it is large and bright enough to light her way to the bathroom without turning on a light and waking me. I guess I should appreciate that feature too. The band is handsome, if cheap, but will last a year or so, and can be replaced with a bit better product when needed.

If you want a reliable second fuss-free watch for telling time, and not necessarily to make a fashion statement, this is your choice. Personally, I rather like the look and may have to buy my own. JK won't let be borrow hers . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars World Enough, and Time, April 8, 2005
A classic style, with classic lines and curves, and leather to band it all underside enlivens time as if it were the first sun rising. Timex brings in this watch what time once was: a simple and pure marking of moment to moment.

This watch has no internet connection. It has no date feature. Triathlons and moontrips are not recommended while wearing this watch. But this watch, in giving you time, will bring you the world.

Wear this watch with your best suit, with a sharp white shirt and, if the weather is chilly, wear a plain plaid wool scarf. With a silver-hued frame and rich black leather strap, you will notice heads turning, wishing they wore this fundamental accessory. Traditional ensembles are timeless, and will lift you above the less dapper, less dashing dancers at the dinner ball.

When she sees you, that love of your life yet unmet, know what time it is. She'll want to know, and you will be prepared. As you provide the time, she'll provide her name. Always know the time, and you'll always know her name. Forget the time, and she may leave without notice.

Take her hand with your right hand. Your watch is worn on the left. The Easy Reader model has large digits, and only takes a glance to know how long you have for the ferry, for the sunset, and for the moon to rise. Your love will grow without hurry.

If things get late, have no worry. Indiglo lighting will illuminate the face with a swift press of the button.

If, by owning and wearing an Easy Reader Timex watch, you are able to share with her your time, know that when tomorrow comes, she'll give you the time of day.

3.0 out of 5 stars mixed feelings, May 11, 2011
Anil (New York, NY, United States) - See all my reviews
I have had three Timex easy readers. While these watches have a great look that is very classic, they are not very durable. Each of my three watches has stopped working in less than a year. I am sure they can be easily fixed, but since these things are so cheap I don't bother taking it to a watch repair man who will charge me more than the cost of the watch to fix it, I just buy a new one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timex "Easy Reader" wrist watch, November 11, 2009
No calendar, no chronometer, no multi-regional time options, no alarm, no two-way wrist radio, nothing programmable. Just a watch that keeps very accurate time. Nice, big, easily recognizable numbers. That's all I require in a watch and this Timex satisfies my needs perfectly. Reasonably priced too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, August 7, 2008
I ordered this watch on August 5th. It is now August 7th and I received it in the mail today, so needless to say the shipping was really fast and I was surprised when it came in today. This is a great watch. It looks good, it's easy to read, easy to set and the Indiglo light is great. Simple, no frills which is just what I wanted. I don't need a date function, because I always know the date anyway.

My only criticism is the band. It's a bit short in my opinion; I have thin wrists as it is and I'm on the third setting from the last. But it fits and still looks good where it's set. If you have large wrists it might be a problem, but the watch would definitely be worth it even if you have to buy a larger band. Love this watch.

5/5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its Beauty Is Its Simplicity, February 14, 2014
While the face of the watch is regular size, the band is a little thin compared to most men's watches. This is perfect if you have smaller wrists for a man. The leather band feels like quality, and it has two wrist band holders to catch the flap so that if you have smaller wrists, as I do, the flap is not hanging out in the air. This is probably not the right watch for a man with beefy arms even though the band probably would fit.

There is no need to read the directions. Pull out the nob away from the face, set the watch, and you are done. You push the little nob to turn on the light. It is so easy to read this watch day or night. The light has a nice clear glow. Again, you feel like you have a quality watch.

I have had this watch for a couple of weeks. I don't like to wear watches anymore, but I need it for my job as I have so many meetings. Today, home sick, I almost put it on because I like it so much. It is so comfortable, you do not notice it. It is the best "everyday" watch I have owned. If you find beauty in simplicity, this is your watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love that light., July 2, 2014
I've used this exact watch for decades. If I lost it, I forgot to take it off while deep sea diving, or it got smashed by a flying brick, then I had to replace it. And I always go back to this same watch. Its plain, simple, easy to read, and (here's the real reason) it has an Indigo Blue light that is bright enough to light my way through a dark hall in an old haunted house. There are other watches with lights, but this one is the right design and price for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, January 9, 2014
I've had this watch for a couple of weeks now and it shows no sign of trouble, keeping good time. I was looking for a simple, no frills, solid Timex watch and so far this appears to doing the job. The numbers are big, and has a substantial leather(?) band. No unreadable and hard to adjust date window. Past experience has taught me that sometimes trouble pops up later on watches like this, but so far, so good. It looks like a keeper.