Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Color: Brown/Gold-Tone/White|Change

on November 7, 2009
I am the type that has not had a watch for years; essentially since I started carrying around a cell phone that could tell me that time without worrying about carrying around another thing. I don't like going to the effort of carrying around something I'm not really going to use. However, I am now in nursing school, and will forever on need a watch with a second hand to take pulse and respiration rates. This made me sad. I tried to find an affordable watch that I could live with from Sears, Walmart, Target, etc, and utterly failed. If I found something that looked nice it wouldn't fit, it would be out of my newly-married college student price range, or be unreliable. After returning two watches that I "settled" with, I decided to try my luck on Amazon.

Here are the things I find important in a watch:
- Has a second hand. That works. For longer than a week.
- Will fit comfortably... Won't be loose, clunky, or excessively heavy.
- Will have a classic look that I can wear to work, parties, or whatever.
- Will fit in my extremely limited budget.
- Extras are nice, especially alarms and date.

This watch delivers with flying colors on all the important things for my needs. The price is great. I barely feel it when I'm wearing it, and the leather band fits around my wrist comfortably and prevents it from sliding down my arm when I raise my hand. It's very easy to read, it's extremely light, it's relatively slim, and its design is classy; it doesn't look cheap in any way (not expensive either, but not cheap). It's just trying to be useful and classic, and it succeeds.

As far as the last thing, alarms and dates and such, this watch does not have that. It has a day of the month thing on the face, but no month or year, so I'll probably have to adjust it occasionally (which is very easy, just not something I want to have to think about). No extras aside from what you see on the face of the watch, period. The only other complaint I have about the watch is the noise. The ticking noise this makes would lead not only Captain Hook to want to smash it, but many others. Especially when they are trying to study. If you point the face away from your ear, or cover it up, the sound disappears, but if you are propping your head up with that hand it's a lost cause. This isn't a huge thing, but it is worth noting.

All in all, I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase, and appreciate the fact that what I saw was what I got.
88 comments| 164 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 29, 2008
This is probably one of the most accurate and best looking Timex watch of all time.The price is right even at retail.I have put my through the toughest of conditions,swimming in the ocean,jack hammering,heavy impact wrench use,you just cannot hurt this watch,It looks great with a suit or with jeans.This watch has a very expensive appearance especially if you put a good band on it when the original wears out.
33 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2011
I'm far-sighted and I need to remove my glasses to see up close. With a typical digital watch checking the time was a two handed maneuver. This watch is EZ to read on the fly, with a big face and bold numbers. And lemme tell you about the backlight! Bright as heck, you could use it to flag down a jumbo jet (almost). I appreciate that it's thin, and most of the face is used for the watch, not for some slidey compass gizmo that makes you look like Chuck Yeager or Indiana Jones. Loud ticking? BFD. It's a watch. If it keeps you up at night you have bigger problems than a loud watch. On the nightstand it's gonna be loud, so put it on top of something soft, you'll be surprised at the difference. Thank me later.

The thing about analog: I'm not a runner or an aviator, so I don't need precision chronometrics. If I really need an alarm, I use my phone. I bet my phone has a stopwatch if I really need one. When I check the time, I don't need to know that it's 7:56:48, I just need to know that it's almost eight. Loosey goosey.

Analog vs. digital: My kids have trouble reading an analog clock, and they're almost teenagers. If I walk into the TV room and say, "It's time for bed, it's ten o'clock," they'll say, no, it's nine-fifty-eight!" The main thing is, Analog shows the time in a relative way, Digital in an absolute way. The idea of "a quarter past one" doesn't exist in digital time; it's 1:15. The hour is shown in an elapsing, progressing, way, quarters, thirds, halves, VISUALLY, like a sundial. You don't need to know if it's precisely noon, just that it's lunchtime. Digital reduces time to a technical statistic, like cholesterol. Your brain has to interpret it into Time-time: "It's 11:26, um, let's see, thirty four minutes to lunch," too much mental energy. A glance at an analog watch and you know it's time to start those gastric juices a bubbling. A digital watch is useful only on New Year's Eve and at the birth of a baby.

I wear a watch 24/7, sleeping, making whoopie, showering, changing the oil in my car. I like to be able to check the time in the middle of the night. "Thank God, it's only 3:30. Back to sleep." My main worry is about getting a tan line in the summer. But my life is relatively worry-free. I hope yours will be, and this watch will help.

Update: This watch works with the Men's Rubbertech (TM) Silicone Rubber Watchband Stainless Steel Deployment Buckle Black 18mm available on Amazon. Outstanding product.
1313 comments| 153 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2010
Was ordered on Saturday the 11th, delivered on Monday the 13th. Basic standard shipping.

As for the watch. I have several nicer watches (Movado etc)but felt like I wanted something a bit more humble. The type of watch my Grandfather could have purchased in a drugstore 60 years ago. This Timex is as simple and functional as it gets. Clean lines, calfskin band, modest brass bezel and easy to read Arabic numerals. The one update to this watch is the indiglo function if needed (useful in the dark). I'm an attorney and wear this watch anywhere because that's where it fits. At $35 dollars it's the type of watch you want to have around.
on December 13, 2010
Watch is fine for the price. My only real complaint is the second hand is very loud. So loud that I don't like leave the watch on my dresser at night because I can hear ticking as I try to sleep.
66 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 18, 2010
Takes a lickin', keeps on tickin'. Well, what I mean is, this Watch is everything thing I need/want in a Time-Piece. I'd use the description of classy or classical. This Time-Piece works well with both your Sunday-go-to-meetin' and your Saturday afternoon Attire. Now, for those that ask; how about the time keeping? Right on the money! When I received this Watch I set it to an Atomic Clock and hasn't lost any time yet, that has been a year and half ago. One thing to keep in mind is the Date, no nothing wrong with the Watch, but rather this isn't an "electronic" time/date keeper so on the Months that have fewer Days you have to make that adjustment e.g. February. Now for those of us that fit into the classical mode, we don't mind that at all; truthfully I appreciate that. One thing I want to point out is the "Indigo" light. Just a slight push of the Stem and your watch Face glows! Lastly, this Watch has a leather Band that buckles to your size. If there were a need for me to purchase another Watch would I buy this one again? YES! Even if the price increased!! I'll close with this; I received this as a Gift and am more than pleased. If that is what you're looking for, a Gift for a/the Man in your life then you will not go wrong with this purchase.
on April 15, 2011
I love my Timex watch. The numbers are easy to read, the indiglo night light is great. It also looks very nice, way more expensive looking than it was.
A great deal on a great watch. Thanks to Amazon and Timex.
on February 16, 2011
I never knew that this product was on Amazon. I came here because Roger Ebert posted this on Facebook calling it, "The Movie Critic's Watch." Ebert had it absolutely right. I've been using this watch for a few years now and the place where I love it most is, you guessed it, while watching a movie in a theater. The large numbers make the watch very easy to read, while the light is perfect for theaters; it can be easily seen but doesn't distract others. I tried other watches with light-up faces and when watching movies, my friends wound up telling me to stop looking at my watch, as the light was so bright that it distracted them from the screen. Aside from its film critic uses, this watch looks perfect in any social setting, is very light, and, in line with all Timex products, it's reliable and performs great. Highly recommended product.
on February 10, 2012
I'm a critical care nurse and I have to have a tough watch that is easy to read and can really take some punishment. This watch has lasted me for four years now under the worst possible conditions (if you know what I mean). Fantastic watch and reliable. Looks great and you can check the time in the dark. Can't ask for more.
on August 16, 2012
The watch itself has no problems, you get what you pay for. As what everyone else said, it is kind of loud. Which shouldn't be a huge problem if you just store it somewhere else. I don't really notice the sound much. But I can see how it would be loud to some.

The most annoying part of the watch was that the Indiglo glow-in-the-dark feature didn't work perfectly. When you press the button, a small portion of the watch would not light up. A small semi-circle beneath the 6 on the face of the watch remains black after you press in the button for the Indiglo feature.

While this isn't a complete deal-breaker, it does get annoying how the watch does not light up fully in the dark.

On a side note, however, Amazon customer service is wonderful and was so helpful in my returning the watch.
review image review image review image