5.0 out of 5 stars A Simple Classic
I collect watches, primarily analog types, and prefer the classic and military styles. The current trend toward mounting a clock on your arm and calling it a watch seems silly to me and I don't think the fad will last. After all, a fad last a season, a classic last forever!

Published on April 14, 2010 by TheBronze

2.0 out of 5 stars not at all as pictured
Published on February 2, 2012 by Heather R. Miles

5.0 out of 5 stars A Simple Classic, April 14, 2010
TheBronze (Montebello, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Timex Men's T40091 Expedition Metal Field Brown Nylon and Leather Strap Watch (Watch)

Even though I have a lot of watches I don't wear most of them. When I needed an everyday work watch I went looking to an old standby, Timex. I found this particular model (T40091) appealing because it mixes a simple classic style with some modern conveniences such as a very reliable quartz movement and the ingeneous indiglo light feature. The watch is the perfect size for a full grown man and is made of brushed stainless steel, like a serious watch should be. Upon very close inspection I could find no flaws in the case, the machining was simply perfect.

The glass fit perfectly and is flush with the bezel. I wish it had been slightly recessed but its okay. I like how they put a slight raise in the case around the crown to act as a protective guard. The face of the watch is very simple and easy to read. I even like the slightly odd face color. It's somewhere between a dark olive drab and gray and in certain light it can appear black. It gives the watch an older look, as if its been around for twenty or thirty years. The hands are pretty standard and the luminous hands work but just barely. In a watch of this price range its fine and besides you have the indiglo feature so its really not needed. About the only thing I wish this watch had is a cyclops over the date. My eyes aren't what the used to be and seeing that little date is getting harder every year. This watch also has the hack feature so setting the time accurately is easy. I have a habit of checking it almost daily (a little OCD).

Things I wish Timex would change...add the cyclops over the date, remove the extra face writing to make it even simpler, make the secondary numerals just a tad larger, change the band.

The band is not bad but seems to come a little small. I have medium sized wrists for a man and it fits me on the second to last hole. I seems like they should have made it about a 1/2" longer. I plan to replace the stock band with a NATO band so this isn't a big deal.

Overall, I think you can't go wrong with a Timex

5.0 out of 5 stars good watch, March 3, 2007
This model of Timex watch is excellent. It looks good, works efficiently, bright indiglo light. Basically, it is an excellent choice if you need to know time, would look good on your arm and invest around $30-40.

4.0 out of 5 stars good watch, December 3, 2007
This is my second one of these in 4 years. I teach ceramics and never take the watch off. Gets pretty crusty looking, but still keep working. Only drawback-the original didn't hold up well to the attentions of a 10 month old border collie. Great Amazon price and speedy delivery

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch - band OK, June 7, 2007
S T "RealTech" (Nappanee, IN USA) - See all my reviews
I like this watch very much with two exceptions: the holes in the band are a little small and tend to pull strings through from the strap. Also when I bend my wrist back, it is enough to turn the light on (wasting battery life.) Overall this is a fine product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, Wrong Color, July 27, 2012
Nothing wrong with the watch but I noticed that another reviewer also didn't get the color he ordered. The watch comes in three colors. I ordered a black face watch with black band and got a brown face watch with brown band. I'm keeping it cause I don't want to go through the hazzle of returning it but wish I'd gotten the color I ordered instead of what they had in stock.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very few drawbacks..., January 19, 2011
Erick P Rawlings (Lexington, KY United States) - See all my reviews
The only problem I had with this watch is the strap. I quickly replaced it for a detachable strap (J. Crew to be specific, from the Timex Military Watch Strap collection) and now I can't live without this watch. Comfort increased 100 fold. Also, I agree with the earlier review that stated this watch is loud. It WAS loud until I replaced the strap. I think when the casing is resting directly on your arm it amplifies the "ticking" sound. Now that I have replaced the strap, I don't have this problem anymore.

As far as the functionality and cosmetics of this watch, I have no complaints. In the two weeks I have been using it, it has fallen behind the Official U.S. Time (website) by only 1 second.

In short, it keeps amazing time and once you replace the strap, it's a 5-star watch.

2.0 out of 5 stars not at all as pictured, February 2, 2012
this watch although it looks sturdy and like a great watch, I bought it because of the way it looked in the picture. The strap looks like it is all black with brown stitching. It is not, it is black in the middle and cocoa brown on the leather. the face of the watch looks like it is black too. It is not. Some of the reviews said that the face was grey. I would have been happy with grey. It is not black or grey it is a kaki green. I am very dissapointed. I bought it for a valentines gift because my boyfriend likes black much more than he likes brown. But unfortunatley I don't have time to return it so he will just have to be happy with this one. But the seller really ought to change the picture. It is false adverting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent watch for the price., January 10, 2013
I had this watch for the last 3 years. Went swimming, snorkeling and even scooba diving with it. It never failed. Glow is definitely a plus. Excellent, not expensive choice.

Note: Description seems to have a typo. WR is 50M not 50ft which is much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timex Expedition T40091 strap, July 6, 2012
Received the Timex watch faster than I expected, great delivery by Amazon as usual. I have no complaints about the watch at all. It's relatively inexpensive and almost anyone could afford this watch. It's water resistant to 50m and has the great night light feature. I think it's one of the better buys in the watch industry.

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty good watch, June 20, 2010
I've worn my watch every day for the last couple of weeks and it seems just as expected. It is easy to read and neither too small nor too big. Watch case, band, and buckle all seem to be sturdy, but have yet to be really tested. The band is a dark brown color, not black as I expected from the image on my laptop, but the color was not important to me. I think that the reviews complaining of the loud ticking are a little over-exaggerated. It hasn't bothered be in the least. Can't comment yet on battery life or water resistance.

Rate and Discover Movies