5.0 out of 5 stars Great, simple--albeit loud--watch
For a basic, reliable, everyday watch, this is an excellent choice. As one who has an allergy to metallic watches and watchbands, this watch, with its fabric band and coated surfaces, provides blessed relief from skin irritation.
Published on December 20, 2008 by Bob Holbrook

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feeling, Good Value. But lacking a bit on Quality.
Published on December 22, 2010 by Averen

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feeling, Good Value. But lacking a bit on Quality., December 22, 2010
Averen (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Timex Men's T42571 Expedition Camper Gray/Black Nylon Strap Watch (Watch)
My confession first. I am a watch nut. I own over 40 mechanical wrist watches currently and 90% if them are over $300 each, and many over $1000. But I always have two quartz watches I kept in my watch box to which all my luxury watches synchronize with. One of them is the Tissot T-Touch. And the other a Timex Ironman 30 from the early 1990s, which still keeps perfect time after close to 20 years of use, and it actually held up quite well cosmetically too. So needless to say, Timex to me presents superb quality and value.

This camper expedition, is my second Timex after some 20 years and many expensive watches later. Of course, comparing it to a high end swiss mechanical will be asking too much, but I believe my expectation was reasonable and sound.

The Good

The matte resin case feels light weight but durable. The grey case offers a good contrast with the black military style dial. Acrylic crystal is sufficient for normal use, but it surely will be scratch from clumsy wrist movements. The band offers a very militaristic olive drab and black theme. Stainless buckle and rubber retainer. Modern size at close to 40mm case size. (Amazon got the case size wrong) I simply love the way this watch looks. Especially at a mere $27 shipped. The retail packaging and instruction are very detailed as well.

The Bad

Timex is known not only for its bargain prices, but it is supposed to be terrific at quality control. This camper, however, have lots of issues.

Biggest problem comes from the canvas strap. There is a overlapping part of the canvas that holds the buckle in place. The hard adhesive has leaked out from the manufacturing process and produce very uncomfortable edges along the inner side of the strap, right where the center of the wrists contacts the watch. That is extremely annoying if you were to wear the watch for any period of time.

There are two separate plastic pieces where the strap meets the case, that were designed to add a bit of style and comfortable angle for the strap. But unfortunately one of them on my watch came slightly deformed. The piece looks as though it was taken off the plastic molding too quickly while it was still warm and surfaces was not even.

Last, a common problem for budget watches. The second hand doesn't line up exactly to the makers. This is an easy fix by opening the watch and manually affix the second hand again. But annoying none the less.

All this still doesn't make this Timex a bad deal. It is very functional and keeps good time like any other quartz out there. But it does have a few issues for those of you who are thinking about it and have not made the decision.

Best luck watch hunting ~

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, simple--albeit loud--watch, December 20, 2008
There is, however, one drawback: During moments of quiet time, the TICK, TICK, TICK of this watch may be too annoying for some. Have found it necessary to place this watch far away from the bedroom each night to escape its loud TICK, TICK, TICK when trying to sleep.
But, on the whole, a good value.

4.0 out of 5 stars great value for the money, July 20, 2009
A straight forward, no-nonsense, practical design make this watch a great value for an everyday timepiece. High contrast easily readable face. Super lightweight when compared to other all-metal case watches. Dial window type is not mineral as stated under the product specifications, it is plastic. Watch band is solid, nylon webbing corners on inside at buckle are hard and may irritate skin (I used a mini-file to soften these corners). "Indiglo" works fine, all hands have luminescent material, however they do not emit light for very long after exposed to a light source. The "tick tock" sound of the second hand is audible, but I do not wear mine to bed so it is not a problem. All together a great value for the money especially if you get it on sale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, especially for the price. (The ticking is NOT that loud), July 1, 2010
I recently got this watch on amazon and thus far, am very pleased. I read a lot of reviews for it and was worried about the "ticking" being too loud. Here's my opinion. It's a watch. It is supposed to tick. From the reviews I read, I was worried that I wouldn't receive it in the mail, as I thought a mailman might think it was a bomb. Much to my surprise, IT IS NOT ANNOYING at all. I can hear it if there is dead silence in the room but it is certainly not as loud as people made it out to be. The watch seems to be made of quality components; though I have only had it for a couple days so I can't speak on its longevity. The watch is very light-weight and the indiglo works well. On another positive note, I always buy water resistant watches and usually wear them while in the shower, this watch's band dried out very quickly and didn't keep my arm wet 3 hours after my shower, like many other watches I have owned. The band is a bit stiff, but I know it will break in eventually. This is a great time piece and I recommend it highly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Timex, I am disappoint., May 3, 2011
This watch fit the bill perfectly... for about two weeks. The adjustment knob tapped against a table and popped right out of the watch. Timex watches used to be made fairly well, I had my last one for about 12 years before it need replacing. Apparently, that time has come to an end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, comfortable, does exactly what it should, February 19, 2009
Kevin Mckay (Pacific Northwest, USA) - See all my reviews
This watch is exactly what it appears to be. I solid, basic, and very easy to read-at-a-glance watch. I like the clean appearance and the "dress casual" look of the band. It's very light on the wrist - easy to forget you're wearing a watch at all. One point off for a plastic dial window (Amazon says it's "mineral") which is likely to scratch easily. Date window is just large enough to be easy to read. Very satisfied with this watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Watch for the Price, February 16, 2012
I needed an inexpensive watch that would not break the bank if I lost it while traveling. Water resistance, date, and night time dial visibility were preferred features. With all due respect to some other reviewers, I did not find the canvas band to be scratchy and I could not hear the watch ticking in the quiet of the night. In fact, it was not that easy to hear it ticking right next to my ear. The dial illumination by pressing the adjuster crown is interesting. The hour, minute, and second hands are also somewhat luminous in the dark. When I received the watch, I set it using the time shown on my computer. The watch time is still right on the dot. During any month with less than 31 days, the date does have to be manually adjusted as with any mechanical watch. I am very pleased with this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good light weight watch, July 31, 2010
I was looking for a light weight watch to replace a heavier watch. This fit the bill at a reasonable price. My only complaint is the ususal tiny print on the instruction sheet and it took quite a bit of effort to set the watch originally. Since then it has worked as advertised.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, February 11, 2012
I picked out this model several years ago as a watch that I could use, but one that I easily replace if damaged on the job. It worked out great. Fast forward to Dec 2011 as I was activated and deployed to Afghanistan. I took the watch with me, but lost it enroute. Once in Afghanistan, I ordered another one exactly like my last. Order arrived promptly, and I started wearing the watch. Today, which is two days after I received it, the time adjustment pin fell out. Now the watch is useless. It seems to me that another review I read prior to purchase indicated the same problem. I always had good luck with Timex watches, but not with this current model. Will I own another Timex? I probably will, but am disappointed with this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Time for a little, August 4, 2010
I have gotten this watch twice. I lost the first and nothing out there could replace this watch at this price. It takes sweat and water perfectly. Wish the face was indented to avoid scratching. Otherwise no complaints.

Rate and Discover Movies