Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Timex® Men's EXPEDITION® Classic Analog Watch #T44921
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on February 18, 2009
I bought this watch to wear while working in the yard and around the house. It replaced a Timex Expedition that had lasted over 15 years. This time, I wanted only an analog dial - no lap timers, stopwatches and other gizmos. The old Timex had these features and it seemed like every time I flexed my wrist, a button would get inadvertantly pushed causing an alarm to be set, or some other feature to activate. I would find out about it when the alarm would start beeping in the middle of the night. I could never figure out what combination of buttons to push to deactivate the alarm, either.

When I bought this watch, I was really going for something simple, rugged and clearly visible. The numbers on the watch face are much larger than average, making them very visible, even in the dark. The large numbers actually glow in the dark, making it nice when BBQing in low light or after dark. Also, the Indiglo light is handy. The surprise about this watch is how nice it looks. The band is real leather. The face is black. One consideration: the case is larger than normal, making it seem beefy....a man's watch.

I highly recommend this watch for everyday wear, even in an office environment. It's almost a shame to subject it to the wear and tear of yard work, but that's what I intend to do.
on June 4, 2012
My 'good' watch is out for repair, so in the mean time I purchased a similar watch but at a far less price point, the feel of the watch is nice, the band as others have mentioned is soft and flexible, time will tell how well it holds up, but at the price, it's really not a bad band at all. The dial reads easily day or night and the Indiglo works nicely too. My only nit pick would be the font on the dial, I'd prefer the word Timex there in a neat finer font, it's overpowering the otherwise clean dial face, and I'd put the Expedition brand embossed on the back cover. Time wise it's keeping good time, quartz should do that, we'll see how well it holds up, I think I've been a bit tuff on watches, too much shock and banging around, isn't a good thing for a delicate watch movement...;)
I've marked it as a 4 star due to the font on the dial, really just a personal preference, otherwise it'd be a 5 star item...
G2
review image review image review image review image review image review image
33 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 13, 2012
The watch is modestly sized at 40mm in diameter, 47mm lug-to-lug and 10mm thick. It suited my skinny wrists quite well. At 57mm across the top of my wrists, the watch sits nicely with no lug overhang. The watch wears a little larger - mostly due to the thin bezel which shows greater dial area. The only issue for me is the excess band length.

The case is spec'ed as brushed, but it's not brushed to the point where the finish is matte. It still has some levels of shine to it. However, it's less shine than a polished finish. On a scale of 1 thru 10, with 10 being the most polished and shiniest finish and 1 being the most dull matte finish, I'd rate this right around 7.

The dial is a nice, simple, easy-to-read face. With large-font, light-colored numbers against the almost black face, reading the time only requires a quick glance. The color of the dial face isn't quite fully black. It's almost like a chalkboard color, maybe even perhaps a dark gray slate. It acts as a great contrasting background to the numbers. However, I did have some concerns on how this would impact the performance of the Indiglo (more on that later).

What drew me to this watch was the 24 hour number placement. Unlike other military watches, Timex placed the 24 hour numbers around the outer chapter ring. Other watch designs will place the numbers in a smaller font on the face adjacent to the normal numbers. Using the chapter ring instead really cleans up face, yet still allows for quick reference when needed.

The numbers, minute/hour hands and a small spot of the seconds hand are all lumed. Despite a good charge, the lume doesn't last very long. You'd be lucky if you could have it last for more than 30 minutes. The poor lume performance is pretty inconsequential as the Indiglo worked just fine...even with the dark face. The glow is even and consistent. It's bright enough to read but not so much that it'd be distracting to your movie seat neighbor.

There has been some talk in regards to the crown. Compared to other modestly sized watches, the crown does seem to protrude out proportionally further than most in the same size segment. And, if you wear this watch closer to your hand, it can be an impedance. For me, it's no issue. I do like the fact that the crown guards are part of the case and that the crown itself is knurled for grip. The crown area does have some small interesting details.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase. It's the closest that I can get to a Hamilton with quartz reliability and accuracy. And, it didn't put a big dent in my wallet. I've put together a video review if you'd like to see it action as well.

[...]

If the above link is disabled, just hop over to youtube and search "Timex T44921" and you'll see my video review.

Thanks,
Dan
on April 9, 2013
I love this watch. I love the style, I love the way it looks, I love the size (not too big, not too small).

The only problem is, after awhile, the stem pops out.

The first time it happened, I thought it might have been a defective watch. I just bought another one.

6 months later, though, the stem popped out of that one, too.

Aside from initially setting the time, and adjusting the date every few months, I never touched the stem; both watches kept perfect time. I don't think it's anything I did.

It's really disappointing; I've yet to find another watch I liked as much as this one.
on August 19, 2015
This is a very simple, low-tech watch, which is exactly what I wanted.

Plusses: large face is easy to read. IndiGlo!! Time and Date...that's it.
Battery. Nice band (faux?).

Minus: Big face means that if you wear your watch down low on your wrist, distal to the ulnar styloid, the crown hits your wrist with any degree of wrist dorsiflexion (bending the hand back toward the watch). This gets to be irritating and will limit the time on my wrist. I'm not a big watch wearer anyway, and so any irritating factors will reduce the time on my wrist.

If you wear your watches loosely, allowing the watch to slide up your arm, over the styloid, then you'll find it more comfortable, but then you'll also be dealing with "roll", where the watch face rotates around your forearm because the strap is too loose.

Be prepared to deal with that issue.

Otherwise, it keeps very accurate time and works and looks very sharp.
review image review image
on November 3, 2008
This watch is perfect, it is subtle enough for casual and yet has a look to it that can work for dressy occassions. The picture doesn't do it justice, very impressed with the watch!
on October 10, 2009
I had this watch for over two years wearing it everyday, running flawless It has a classic look to it and a nice quality leather strap. Military Style face with luminescent numbers and Indiglo light for real dark surroundings. Highly recommend!
on March 9, 2015
This is about as good as it gets for me for the price. I bought this watch to see if I'd like wearing something in a larger size like this. And it looks great, in my opinion. My band is more flat chocolate brown color than the reddish oxblood shown in the photos. It's not a big deal but I thought it'd be something to mention. I love that it's got lume on the hands, numbers, and that it's got indiglo as well. The back of my hand activates the indiglo function if I bend my hand back and the watch has slid down. Not a big problem, but worth mentioning since the crown is large. I had no trouble setting the time or date on mine. Other people have mentioned that the date setting was fickle. Here's to hoping I have long service from it.
review image
on May 20, 2016
Ridiculously clean and clear watch. The numbers are large and easy to read, but are not comical in nature. Weighs at 2.05oz (~58g), so it won't tire your wrist.

The strap water resistant leather feels extremely comfortable to wear. The best part is the crown gear ratio is perfectly timed. Unlike cheap watches, in this watch a single 180deg turn of the crown will advance the minute hand ~8 minutes, which is perfect if you need precise movement. The second hand pauses while you're adjusting the time, allowing you to perfectly set the seconds as well. Date functionality is crisp and clean (although I wish there was an embedded magnifying glass, but that's not this market).

The watch feels like it can take a hit and keep on ticking.

The strap is exactly 20.0mm, case (including crown) is 43.8mm, and the height is 9.9mm. Weight is 2.05oz (58g).

It's not bulky, but not tiny either & it feels like quality.
on November 24, 2010
I've usually worn metal band swiss army watches in the past. After not wearing a watch for awhile I decided to get this one. It has a very classic look to it, It really doesn't look cheap at all. I wear it to work, running cables etc, no problems with it looking scratched up. I'm very happy with this, and the fact that I didn't spend $200 for another swiss army that would do the same function. The indiglo (sp?) numerals/hands are also nice to be able to see at night. You really can't go wrong with this guy. The one thing I shouldn't have done is worn this in the shower as it really darkened the leather band (yeah i'm stupid, leather in water...)