5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Watch
I've had one of these for many years, wearing it working in the yard, in the water swimming, boating, and to the office. It's held up through all this activity, as well as being stylish and lightweight. The band hasn't deteriorated from constantly getting wet. It's also easy to replace the battery yourself with a miniature screwdriver. I highly recommend this watch.
Published on April 10, 2008 by Maximus

3.0 out of 5 stars scratches easily
I emphasize that I am rating this watch as average because that's exactly how I feel. Unfortunately the face scratches as easily as any cheap Casio has scratched for me. That's disappointing as I work outside a lot and I was really hoping to find something more scratch-resistant at a reasonable price. It performs well in every other way--not exceptional, but well, and if...
Published 19 months ago by Mike K.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Watch, April 10, 2008
This review is from: Timex Men's T49101 Expedition Camper Brown Resin Case Green Nylon Strap Watch (Watch)

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE THIS OLD WATCH, December 26, 2008
I seldom do reviews on products, as I enjoy writing about books more. But every so often I come across a product that not only meets the advertisement claims, but far exceeds them. This watch, the Timex Men's Expedition Camper Watch is one of those products. I have had mine for years and I do mean years! I have expensive watches which at times I will wear, but this one is by far the best of the lot. Now I am very hard on watches; really not giving them a break. The one I have now has spent as much time in the water as it has on dry land, or so it seems at times. It has been in dust storms, freezing weather, saltwater, mud, manure, sand and muck of unknown origins. Through all of this it has kept almost perfect time. Once about ever three or four months I have to make a slight adjustment, but that is all. Numbers on the watch are big, which I like and it is simple, i.e. no bells and whistles to worry about.

While I feel it is very attractive, apparently many do not, as I have left this one laying around the gym on many occasions and it as yet to be stolen. The only problem I have ever had with the thing is that once in a while I will catch it on something and one of the metal spring things that hold the watch to the band will break. This does not happen often. The last time it happened to me, an Emu was dragging me down a fence line and the watch caught on the wire of the fence. I was able to fix it that after noon.

If you want something fancy and expensive; go elsewhere. If you want a good buy on a watch that is hard to kill and keeps good time; then this is the one for you.

NOTE: I have to say that I have had to periodically buy new bands for this one. The bands take as much of a beating as the watch does and are exposed to constant sweat and tend to weaken over time. They are rather inexpensive though, so this really in no big deal.

Don Blankenship
The Ozarks

5.0 out of 5 stars No more "What time is it?", June 7, 2007
I purchased this for my husband who is always asking me what time it is. He relies on his cell phone for the time but it's always tucked in his pocket and hard to get to. This watch is a good-looking manly watch that has a sturdy band WITH BIG NUMBERS!!!, he doesn't even have to put his reading glasses on. He really likes it!! but misses asking me "What time is it?".

5.0 out of 5 stars Best watch EVER, January 30, 2009
I have owned a lot of watches in my day, but this one stands out above all others. Forget that designer crap and go for this one. It's stylish, rugged, and functional. Indiglo, date and 10yr. battery life.

5.0 out of 5 stars After 7 years of abuse, still ticking., January 12, 2010
I do hard construction work, and have destroyed a lot of good watches (smashing, scratching, catching, and forgetting to take them off before running the jackhammer). This little plastic Timex, which cost $16 back then, is amazing. I bought 2 of them because they were so cheap and so I would not be without a watch when the first one broke. The other one is still sitting in my drawer unused. This watch is all scratched up, and I have replaced the watchband several times, but it is still has the original battery, is still waterproof and extremely accurate. One of the greatest features is its light weight. You don't even feel it is there, and I think the light weight and thin dimension help keep it from being damaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars 9 years old and still ticking!, July 9, 2010
I bought mine to take on a 10 week trip all over Europe and wanted the Indiglo function and the 24 hour dial plus if i lost it no big deal. I still wear it and just replaced the original battery ! I taught in a school of architecture and I like the simple functional look. I have 70 year old eyes and can easily see the dial, I actually like the ticking. I do not swim in it but over the years it has seen a good bit of water with no problems. It obviously is not a fine watch, but for [...] bucks it is a masterpiece of design. My wife suggested I get a new one and I said no way !!!

For what it is it is a perfect design. I admit, it is on it's second band. The minute it dies , excuse me, passes away, nothing dies anymore , I will be on Amazon ordering another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pros and cons, September 10, 2009
Pros: attractive "old-fashioned" look, easy to read, very lightweight, protected crown, excellent luminescence on the hands, easy battery change, 10 year battery, readable date, low price.

Cons: ticks louder than avg., crystal is plastic (not mineral, as Amazon states in the description), band is not the best quality, crystal not protected by raised bezel (they are flush).

Timekeeping: It has gained one second in five days.

I've had Timex watches throughout my life and swear by them. Like other reviewers of this watch, I work construction and have never lost a Timex to the job. The loud ticking of this watch might bother some, but it's not that loud and I'm OK with it. The plastic crystal is easier to remove scratches from, though I would have preferred a mineral crystal. The band is OK but my last Expedition had the exact same band as this one and after a while the nylon edges started fraying. I can see this one will too. The aftermarket Expedition replacement band I got for my last Timex was of a higher quality. However, I am getting a nice brown oil tan leather band for this one. A nicer band will enhance the watch.

The luminescent hands are VERY good, if that's important to you. They make you realize how underestimated this feature is. I was pleasantly surprised at its low-light readability. It should save on battery life too since you don't have to use the Indiglo as much. Speaking of which, the 10 year battery is one of the best features of this inexpensive watch. The reason I began looking for a new watch was because I was tired of replacing batteries in the old one. And changing batteries in the old one was worth paying extra to have someone else do it. This one has four little Phillips screws to remove from the back and the battery is right there. This watch is very light weight, very comfortable on the wrist.

Overall I am very pleased with the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch for the money!, February 22, 2009
I also have had this watch for years. I bought it to wear when I'm out doing yard work, working with concrete,carpentry, etc. I figured it would last a summer or so. The watch is light, dial is easy to read, the crystal is still unscratched and I have yet to change the battery. The watch keeps great time and the indiglo light works as advertised. Easily worth twice the price. This watch is one of those few things in life that far exceed expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great everyday watch, December 22, 2009
I've had this watch for about 8 months. It keeps perfect time, never readjusted it except for daylight savings. Wear it every day doing military work, and on weekends too. The band is very comfortable, and the watch stays squared to my wrist all day unlike other watches I've bought.

Pros:
-Keeps great time
-Comfortable (you'll forget you're wearing it until you need the time)
-Looks good doing about anything
-Simple to adjust
-Easy to read
-Good indiglo feature
-Durable
-Get your money's worth

Cons:
-Ticks a little loud
-Luminescent hands only glow for about 10 minutes

4.0 out of 5 stars First impression, July 30, 2009
I have only owned the watch for one-day, so I can only give my first impression: Is inexpensive but looks cheaper than I expected from the photo, Date window is quite small and difficult to read with over-40 eyesight. The watch started up fine, Indiglo works well. Lightweight watch is comfortable on the wrist. Best feature is that time is very easy to read.