5.0 out of 5 stars Another great watch from Timex
Published on November 9, 2008 by Baz

2.0 out of 5 stars Good watch, bad ergonomics
Bought this watch for my wife. We liked all the features of the watch itself, however the band was poorly designed:
1. It has some sharp edges that cut into your wrist when you're wearing it
Published on November 26, 2010 by Justin D.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great watch from Timex, November 9, 2008
Baz (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Timex Women's T49661 Expedition Classic Digital Chronograph Watch (Watch)
I wanted a watch that looks good, is accurate, water resistant, able to take everyday knocks and, more importantly, isn't too big on the wrist. My choice boiled down to two - Casio G-Shock and Timex Expedition. The G-Shocks are the toughest watches money can buy (probably) and seemed to fit all the criteria, so I got one. However, I've found that it's just that bit too chunky for me. And then I found this.

Timex have several models in this Expedition range with only cosmetic differences to the case and strap. All of them look great, but I decided on this all black version. As a guy, I was a bit worried that a midsize watch might be too small (and girlie) for my 7" wrist, but I'm pleased to say that it isn't at all, though Timex also have a larger version (T45961 and variants). Personally, I prefer the smaller size. Having a resin case means it's also very light and durable.

I won't dwell on the features as these are pretty much standard for a digital watch, though the digits are a good size and in addition you do get three alarms and a timer, plus one other feature that sets Timex apart and which I love - Indiglo - in this case illuminating only the digits not the whole face, which I think is more refined. I'm also greatly impressed with the overall finish and quality feel of the watch. For example, the lettering is etched, rather rather than printed, and the buttons have positive and wobble-free operation.

Unlike the reviewer below, I've decided to keep the supplied strap primarily because it's extremely well made. I thought it would be flimsy and need replacement, but if anything the opposite is true. Apart from having resin pieces at the spring bar ends engraved with the 'E' logo, greatly adding to the overall look, it's made of a double layer of nylon and edge stitched. It's therefore quite thick (about 2mm) with a substantial stainless steel buckle and the holes are very cleanly cut and finished with no burrs. I think it adds greatly to the overall quality and I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts for the lifetime of the watch. I also think that the black and grey stripes on this model look cool, too!

Overall, a very good-looking, unobtrusive and durable watch, and quite impressive quality even at twice the price. If you're a guy looking for a smaller size watch with no loss of functionality or features then I'd have no hesitation in unreservedly recommending this, and/or other Expedition series watches from Timex.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Watch-Even for Men!, August 31, 2008
Brian Peelle (Orange County, CA USA) - See all my reviews
So many men's digital watches are big hockey pucks. This is sized just right for the average men's wrist. I replaced the strap with a more "manly" looking one. The Timex Expedition series digital watches all have great functionality. The display is very readable, and includes the time, date, and day of week on the main display. These are the three pieces of information I want readily available at a glance; nothing more, nothing less. The next main feature is the countdown timer. I must confess it is really handy for controlling my nap times. The stopwatch, dual time zones, and 3 additional alarms are all good to have as well. Setting times is very easy; not only do they provide + and - buttons to get to the proper time quickly, but even indicators on the screen for "Next" and "Done". Very intuitive. The Indiglo light illuminates the numbers rather than the whole display, so it is visible but not annoying in a dark theater. The buttons are rugged plastic, which I prefer over the tiny metal buttons of the past. An outstanding watch. And it's great for a man.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good watch, bad ergonomics, November 26, 2010
1. It has some sharp edges that cut into your wrist when you're wearing it
2. The band keeper that holds the end of the band to the watch after you've clasped it on slides quite easily and doesn't fit tightly, allowing it to slide out of place after only a few minutes of wear.

4.0 out of 5 stars good for runners, not swimmers, September 16, 2008
edited review: 12/2/12
i'm changing the 3* to 4* stars. this watch is really handy during workouts with the interval timing, which seems to be difficult to find in a watch that isn't more than $50 and a large face along with all the other complicated features i don't need.

in regards to the water resistance, i may just be one (of the few?) that has had problems with it. it has been working fine ever since after a few days when i submerged it. i haven't swam with it since though.

****

I'm a female in the 20's and was looking for a watch that I can wear while running and swimming.

Pros:
+ can keep lap split times and total time (not sure if it can scan back to previous lap times though but my lap times are consistent to not have to do that)
+ has countdown timer (once or repeat)
+ can keep time for 2 timezones
+ 3 alarms
+ easy to use
+ indigo light lights up the whole face
+ straps are on simple standard hinges to make changing it easy

CONS:
- (biggest CON!!) do NOT submerge this watch!!! i took a swim with this watch to test the water resistance and later, the buttons did not work. the next day, my watch slowly turns off and then on again. hopefully it just needed to dry and it'll be good as new.
- the face feels heavier as I keep on running. maybe i'm getting too tired but I have a tendency of taking it off after a few miles in.
- width of the face is a little bit big but the simplicity of looks compensates to me
- indigo light works if seen at an angle at night

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect size, suitable band, May 7, 2009
I bought this watch to use while jogging and swimming and it works perfectly. The smaller size makes it lightweight, but the display is still large enough to read at a glance. The face of the watch doesn't protrude much and is relatively flat, so it doesn't get in the way of long sleeve shirts. Overall, it's more practical than the men's Timex watches for everyday use.

I've owned a Timex Ironman, and while the watch lasts for over 5 years even after being thrown in the laundry machine, the band never lasts more than a year. Plastic straps crack. Velcro straps lose their stickiness. This watch has a cloth strap with a metal buckle. The material is thick, and reinforced with many stitches. I'm hoping this combination will last the duration of the watch.

The watch is suitable for people with wrists between 4 to 5.5 inches in circumference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch for the price - even for men!, April 1, 2009
This watch is advertised as women's, but it is really unisex. I am a guy with small wrists, and this watch fits just perfect while most men's watches are just too big. Not the highest quality band, but what can you really expect for $30? All the functions work well. I especially like the countdown timer, which remembers the last setting so you don't have to continually reset it at the gym when you want to time your rest intervals.

4.0 out of 5 stars timex ladies watch, May 25, 2011
I am a man, but bought this ladies timex because it smaller than a man's watch. It takes up less room on your wrist, and does not bind your shirt cuffs,like a mans does. In winter when I wear heavy clothes to hunt in, this is a real advantage.
Other than the size, it is as good as the men's version. I will put a larger band on it, with a velcro closure.

4.0 out of 5 stars good value for the money, October 15, 2010
UCSF RN (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
Liked this watch in general.

What I like most: it does the features I need for running (timer, split, date) and want (alarms, 2nd time zone), and it's light weight.

What I didn't like: the wristband is fabric, so when I sweat from running, it gets wet, which I find irritating against my skin. When I wash it, it takes a while to dry. It would have been better to have a plastic wristband. Also, the instructions on the start/split were not crystal clear. I had to figure it out for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars This watch rocks!, August 29, 2010
I have a small wrist, and a job that requires me to put my hands in small places. This watch not only has three alarms, a timer, a chronograph and a few other nice features that I USE, but the face is recessed and is protected from a lot of scratches that my other watches would get. It's just the right size for my wrist as well. Timex has done it again. They call this a woman's watch because of it's small size, but don't hesitate to buy it if your a man. It looks good.

*************************************

After having worn out this watch; broke the face, saturated the canvas in all kinds of stuff, and battery went dead, I have just purchased an exact replica. It's still a great watch and it gets five stars. You can pick them up at Target for thirty five bucks plus tax if Amazon doesn't have a better deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Expedition yet!, February 15, 2010
S. Reihart (Alexandria, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This watch is probably the 5th Expedition that I've bought and by far the best one yet. The previous watches had a green tinted dial that was harder to read than this newer gray colored dial. The watch is also much easier to read at night with the light feature because the entire dial shows up and not just a side-light like the previous. The fit is also much better over the previous watch because it doesn't stick up off your arm as much and therefore doesn't get bumped and scratched as easily. The crystal is recessed from the edge, also preventing the crystal from becoming scratched as easily. Timex is doing a great job at improving these watches. Last but not least is that these watches keep PERFECT time! I would recommend this watch to anyone.

Rate and Discover Movies