on December 20, 2011
Timex Men's T498549J Rugged Digital Vibration Alarm Watch

Pros:

1. Flexible countdown timer up to 23h: 59m (can be set to stop or repeat at the end)
2. Flexibility of alarm modes (vibration, beep, and combo)
3. 99 laps. (Great for running.)
4. Hydration timer for repeated reminder up to 60min.
5. Normal lugs accept 22mm milspec nylon straps.
6. Large display and numbers
7. Clear EL light
8. No warning alarm before the target time during countdown timer.

Cons:
1. Hourly signal can only be set to beeping and no vibration.
2. Cheap looking body design, material and color.
3. The glass easy to scratch. (The glass surface and the bezel are on the same height)
4. Somewhat unintuitive menu navigation
5. Occasion reminder is very limited
6. EL light hard to read from angle
7. No world time (only three time zones)
8. Pretentious bezel with useless cardinal direction markings.

I have been using another vibration alarm watch for 6 years or so (Casio Men's G-Shock Watch G7510-1V). I was mostly happy with it but I recently bought Timex T498549. I think this Timex is far superior in flexibility in various timer modes than Casio. This watch is great for reminder, sport drills, running, meditation, yoga etc.

Unlike my Casio, the count down timer does not have warning alarm and alarm sets off only once on the target time. I really like this because the warning alarm can be confusing and distracting.

On the con side, one thing they missed the mark is that hourly signal that cannot be set to vibration mode which is baffling to me. I usually able to figure out using this kind of watch without a help of manual but it took me for a while to figure out how to set the alarm to vibration mode. In fact there is no mention how to set it in the manual.

This is how you set it. Hold down SET button > hit Mode button to cycle through time, date, year setting > when ALRT is displayed hit either of two right side buttons to set to either TONE, VIBE, or COMBO > hit SET and you are good to go. This is very unintuitive because when you want to change the alarm mode you have to jump through the time/date setting. My G-shock has a dedicated button and it's a snap to change the alarm mode between beep and vibration.

I did not care much about the strap this watch came with and swap to a 22mm woven nylon Maratac milspec strap from countycomm.com(excellent strap by the way.) This combination is very comfortable to wear unlike my Casio G-shock. When I bought G-shock G7510 it was around $45 and now it's over $80 on Amazon for the same watch which is ridiculous. Because of the great timers modes and the price I recommend this Timex over G-shock if you don't care about how cheap this watch looks. (Once a homeless woman asked me if I would give her my brand new watch. She thought it was a very cheap watch and I wouldn't mind giving it away.) I wish this watch came in all black. The fake pretentious metallic paint on plastic body makes the watch looks even cheaper.

Occasion reminder is limited and for me it's not usable. I hoped that I could set my own reminder categories but you can only select from these; ANNIV, APPT, B DAY, BILL, BILL.MO, BILL.YR, DOCTOR, GAME, GIFT, HOLI, HOLI.YR, MULTI, OTHER, SHOW, TRIP, -NONE-

I wasn't sure what they meant by Hydration timer. It is essentially another count down timer up to 59 minutes. Unlike the other count down timer, it cannot be set to seconds. Also it repeats itself endlessly until you hit a button.

Each timer, alarms have different beep tones. But if you set to vibrate, it will vibrate the same way.

If you a kind of person who can sleep with a watch on your wrist and a light sleeper, combo alarm mode could be your alarm clock. Combo alarm mode vibrates first so that you can wake up without waking up anyone else. When vibration fails to wake you up the beep alarm sets off.

This watch may not be as durable as G-shock but now this is my main everyday watch and my G-shock has to wait in the drawer until this watch breaks down.

-----Update April, 2012----
I painted the body of the watch with a black sharpie just to see how it would look like. It looks so sharp in all black! (sorry for the pun) I wish they made all black version. It's got some scratches on the glass already but I have been liking this watch more and more.

However, recently this watch started behaving strangely. It spontaneously resets itself back to the factory default and erases all my time and alarm settings. This happened twice already this month. I read other reviewer mentioned the same problem. I still like this watch as a stopwatch and vibration countdown timer, but I have to say this Timex is unreliable as a watch and have to give one star for that :(

-----Update May 9th, 2012----
The resetting problem still persists. It happened three or four times last month and once already this month. The watch suddenly vibrates short period of time and resets itself to 2007, Dec 1st, 12:00AM. It happens when I am not touching any buttons. There is still plenty of battery power left since EL light lights very bright.

What kind of digital watch you have to reprogram every week? This is not a hand winding watch. Now I will never carry this watch without my cell phone so that I can reprogram the time as soon as the watch resets itself. Bummer.

----- Update, Aug 2013 -----
I returned the watch thanks to the REI 's excellent return policy and bought the same model again. The new unit has been running fine for almost a year and no resetting issue. My old Casio has been back in the drawer for a while.
2121 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 8, 2011
The watch is nice, and the vibration alarm is great. You can not set it for a specific date though. Only sets alarm for a time on either - Every Day, Weekends Only, or Weekdays only.
Otherwise is good.
It is big though, so if you want a small watch, don't get this one!
on February 10, 2013
Verified Purchase
I chose this watch because I needed a watch with a vibrating alarm function to avoid waking my partner on my early start days - and it works perfectly. If you're exhausted and in deep sleep it won't wake you up but for regular sleep patterns it wakes me up every time. I find it's actually a far more pleasant way to wake up, with a sensation as though someone is tapping on your wrist.

As a watch it's functional and does what it claims to do - perfect for an every-day watch. I've used it for 2 months now with out any issues - I'd recommend it.
on June 21, 2011
Verified Purchase
There is nothing better than a product that does what it's supposed to do and does it well! This vibration alarm watch is easy to use, comfortable to wear, and fully capable of shaking you awake!
on October 26, 2011
Verified Purchase
I was looking for a watch that has a vibrating count-down timer that can automatically repeats the count-down, and after some searching this watch seems to be the only one with this feature (along with tons of other stuff that I don't need). It would be perfect if it were a bit...smaller (way to big for my wrist). This Expedition watch would be perfect if it had the look of its Timex Ironman cousin! I have both a Timex Ironman and this Timex Expedition, and I notice that the two have almost identical features (the only exception is the vibration, which the Ironman watch doesn't have). I would have liked to have this vibration on the Ironman watch.
on September 5, 2011
Verified Purchase
Item is as seen on website. The best feature is the vibration alarm. It is able to wake me up! Simple watch as it may be, it is jam-packed with all my needed basic features (including some surprises!).

There is chronograph, stopwatch, timer, 3 alarms. I can choose to turn the features on or off. I can set 3 alarms and even specify if I want them to go off during weekdays only - perfect for alarms to wake me up for work!

The size of the clock face is good for a 1.8m guy like myself. The design of the strap is pretty unique.

Really value for money!
on October 13, 2011
Verified Purchase
I am in the US Marines and I need a rugged watch that is with me all the time. I never take this watch off. I also use it for physical training and the chronograph is perfect for that. The thing I like about timex chronographs is that I can view my current lap time, and since I am into interval training I need to be able to view how much time has elapsed since completing my last lap. This watch is very durable and the vibrating alarm is awesome. It is very quiet, important in a tactical environment, and it always wakes me up, unlike the beeping alarm. If you are one of those people looking for a watch that is also a GPS, altimeter, barometer, thermometer, calendar, colander, and blender then this isn't the watch for you...but if you need a great watch to tell you what time it is and an easy to use stopwatch, buy this one!
on March 7, 2012
Verified Purchase
Bought this watch to wake me up without waking everyone else in the barracks up. works great, the first battery died after 2 weeks, but the second battery has been going strong for months. it has held up in Afghanistan, should hold up anywhere!
on July 25, 2013
Verified Purchase
I got this for the simplicity, functionality, and look. I was wondering how to use the compass bezel since I bought this as a hiking watch. Called Timex and they stated it's "just for looks" so it's not a real compass bezel, and I found that out the hard way. Hope I don't need it in the woods!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 6, 2014
Verified Purchase
I got the watch because I needed a vibration alarm and i wanted a large visible number display. This watch has both features and the vibration alarm works great. So far it has always got my attention. One time when I didn't have the watch on and it was sitting on a plastic table I heard the vibration alarm from 2 rooms away. It also vibrates for the timer and the special occasion alarms. One cool feature is you can set the occasion alarm for the exact day and then there are options to get notified a certain amount ahead of time. The strap is much better than a resin strap which, in my experience, tends to break because of bending it in the same place. The reason I didn't rate it a 5 star is that the compass dial is not functional and the manual could be more detailed on how to work the hydra and occasion alarms. So far I'm very satisfied.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations