Facility Spring Cleaning BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on June 21, 2012
Well, I must admit I was looking for something of a different style besides my diver and tactical (tritium tube) watches, and got bit by the pilot style watches bug. I almost dropped the hammer on a Hamilton Mechanical 38mm, but the shipper took forever (5+ days) to get the item processed soooooooo.......I gave up and found this little gem by accident (don't worry I am in NO way going to try and compare a Hamilton to a Timex, I would get flammed in about 30 seconds after this review was posted); however, I was extremely taken back by the style of the watch and for the price I figured what the heck? Upon receiving the watch, the first thing I did was lose the crap strap that came with it and throw on a maratac zulu 4 ringer (20mm). I have worn the watch for 2 days straight and it has replaced some of my more higher-end watches for a daily beater. Accuracy seems to be holding between 0 and -1 seconds/day for the past 48 hours and I am completely satisfied with that coming from a sub 50 dollar watch. The case is very robust (and yes it is stainless steel!), indiglo function works as it should, and bravo to Timex for the dial configuration. The seconds hand actually "NAILS" every indice marker perfectly (my Tawatec and SMW watches can't even do that!)All in all I would say if you are in the market for something as a work/beater/weekend style of watch that keeps a pilot style look then look no further.
review image review image
33 comments|111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2012
This is a very cool looking watch. The chapter ring (outer ring on the watch's face) has the minutes instead of the hours. This type of watch is known as a navigator or observer's watch. Usually this feature is seen on much more expensive and or vintage watches. This dial was invented during WWII and in someway was used by the plane's navigator wherein the minutes were very important in determinig coordinates on bombing missions.
Furthermore it has the solid white arrow in place of a 12 which further harkens back to early aviator's watches and was used for determing true North when navigating by the sun.
This watch also has a huge crown (well huge by Timex standards) which is another nod to historic pilot watches as it can be grasped with gloves on.
The seconds hand is also red tipped.
The watch is a not too small, not too big 42mm and has a satin finish to the case which reduces glare.
The date window is thoughtfully outlined with a dashed white line, and the verbage at the bottom of the dial (water resistant, indiglo) is in a nice font and at first glance looks like what is written at the bottom of a more expensive watch that tells you it is a superlative chronometer.
The band is ok --- I pulled it an put a grey NATO strap on it.
I swear this $30 watch is making me as happy as a $3000 one.
Timex hit it out of the park with this!

--yeah these cheap TIMEX watches do tick loud, but doesn't bother me
on March 13, 2015
I use to have digital watch all the time. But deside to go old school :-) . For this price I feel like I have stole it. Well made. Good matt finish. Very happy with purchase.
Original strap is ok but I prefer Nato. Its looks much cooler with brown leather Nato strap.
I have read some complains about crown falling off. I have try to pull it out more further after its reach second position, its not going and feels solid. Well time will tells. Finger crossed.

Update after 3 weeks: still happy with my purchase. Uploaded photo this zulu strap. Definitely strap added some cool factor to it.
Accuracy: once I got it watch was loosing 15 sec a day. Then get even worst. I have replaced battery myself (very simple task). Now loosing a 1 sec in 2 days.
review image
on July 31, 2013
The requirements of my search that lead me to this watch were:

1. Quartz
2. Analog
3. Stainless Steel
4. 40+ mm case size (w/o crown)
5. 20mm lug width (strap width)
6. Light weight
7. Date
8. Good water resistance

My intention in purchasing this watch was to find a good-looking and most importantly inexpensive piece that I could wear during any situation. Thus, if it gets abused I wont feel too bad having paid less than $50 for it. My other more costly watches could remain in my watch box for times where damage was less likely.

At this price point I didn't have high hopes for this watch. When I received it I was quite surprised. This watch exceeded my expectations in every way. The case is indeed stainless steel. Most in this price-range are brass cases. The movement is solid, the crown is very very smooth and solid when setting the date or time. It feels similar to my Swiss automatics as far as adjustment goes. The lume on the hands and indices were a little less than stellar but the Indiglo feature more than makes up for that. The dial has a slight 'sunburst' pattern to it rather than just a plain flat gray. The band is low quality but it wasn't important to me as my intention was to use NATO straps with this watch anyhow.

The case has a matte finish on it. I wouldn't call it brushed and based on the few times I've already bumped the watch on something it looks like the matte finish can be worn off. With the base metal being stainless I'm not too concerned about this. The case back has a simple engraving with the standard information surrounding it.

The attention to detail and quality of this watch at this price point make purchasing this watch a "no brainer". If this watch fits your needs and you are aware of any of it's 'limitations' there is no reason you should not be happy with this purchase.
on June 6, 2013
Pros:
Easy to read face (white on grey works better than I thought it would)
No discoloration from frequent sweating or swimming
Mineral Crystal resists scratches much better than what's on other watches at this price
Hands and numbers glow in the dark
I've gotten compliments on the clean look of the watch

Cons:
Strap takes a few days to break in and feel comfortable
Must fiddle with crown to get the Indiglo feature to work
Middle crown setting hard to find for date setting
Minute and Second hands don't line up with all the dial markings
Luminous markings fade rapidly in the dark

I am using this watch as an everyday-all-day watch. I am in environments at work and home where pulling out a cellphone to check the time is either inappropriate or hazardous to myself and/or the cellphone. This watch is stainless steel and rated water resistant enough for swimming and has a fairly scratch resistant crystal so on paper it fits the bill. I'm between strap settings so I have to wear it a bit too loose for my taste, but it has worked well for the week I've used it so far. I wish the luminous markings glowed brighter and longer, but I guess they work fine for a watch in this price range.
on September 21, 2015
I have always had Time Watches, even as a Cub Scout. 40 plus years later, I am still a fan. And I believe with this watch, Timex hit the nail on the head. It keeps great time, looks great, and quite honestly, I really never take the watch off. I believe its a great investment, and thought about buying another one just to have it in case Timex stops making it later. Overall, I highly recommend this watch. Others have talked about the watch ticking loud. My watch is as quiet as any watch, so I am not sure why their watch is loud.
on September 11, 2015
For me this is a great watch for everyday wear. I prefer analog to digital and this has a perfect blend of retro inspired look with a modern tech style. The machine grey face along with the brushed steel case make a bold statement that complements a masculine look while the red tipped second hand provides just enough color to elevate it above pedestrian. It features a day date indicator which is small and not too easy to read but hey it's there if you squint. The watch has a very solid feel and a good weight to it, this isn't a skinny dress watch. It should survive whatever adventure you find yourself in. I agree with other reviewers- the band is crap. Go ahead and order a 20mm NATO strap along with the watch and replace it as soon as the package arrives. I purchased the light grey one and it PERFECTLY matches the watch color scheme. One feature that I didn't expect was the Indiglo face- when you press the crown button in the dark the entire steel grey watch face instantly illuminates rendering the hands and numbers in bold relief. You have to see it to understand, I find myself doing it often just because it is such a cool effect. I've worn the watch now for a few months and still love it. There are a couple tiny scratches in the mineral glass face and the steel case but that just adds to the character. You pull the crown out one "click" which stops the watch and enables setting the time and date. The only negative thing that I can report is once or twice I have inadvertently caught the crown on clothing and caused it to pull out to the setting mode which stops the watch from running. This has made me more careful when putting on jackets and the like while wearing the watch.
on March 26, 2013
The good.

The watch is easy to read, looks nice, seems accurate enough (it's a quartz, it should be), and isn't going to break the bank. It's not a chronograph and doesn't have a bunch of fancy features, but it tells you what time it is and lights up, which is all I wanted. It has taken over as my every day wearing watch, though I still wear my Casio if I'm out hiking or something to avoid getting this one banged up.

The not as good.

The band is really too small for me, and I don't have massive wrists. I could wear it, but I only have about one hole to go. Further, the band is nylon on the outside and a weird leather on the inside, which I assume would get pretty funky after a few months of wearing. I replaced the band right away with a four ring Maratac band, grey with black rings as in one of the pictures above. Much better, much more room to pick a good size, no weird leather, and better looks.

Recommended, but replace the band with something a bit better looking and more functional.
on November 2, 2013
I'm pretty picky about the "look" of a watch and this thing is awesome in my opinion. I did ditch the band for one that better suited my tastes. Its big, the dial markings are very cool, and the time keeping is near perfect ( -1 sec per week). You can hear it tick in a quiet room, but this is no biggie to me and under normal conditions you won't hear it, I actually like to hear it tick every now and then. No problems with the stem falling out or anything like that as other people mentioned, maybe I just got a good one. The "date setting" middle position can be tricky to find, but so what, its not a big deal and anyone with an IQ slightly higher than a houseplant will be able to find it. This thing is very cool and for 39.00 bucks, it's a steal, as far as durability goes, we'll see. I would like to see Timex make a white faced one with black hands and numerals though. T49877 looks pretty cool also, but I'm not fond of a black second hand on a black face, but thats just me. All the colors work well on this grey one.
on December 4, 2014
Been looking for a casual/daily wear watch for a while. Had this and some other Timexs in my wish list for a while and when the price dropped, I jumped on it. I haven't experienced a "crown failure" yet, so I'm hoping Timex fixed that issue.

Pros:
- Good looking watch. Unique style that even my wife likes (and she's hard to please).
- Seems to keep good time
- Good features
- Daily wear

Cons:
- Bulky and heavy. I am used to a Skagen, but even so, you know you are wearing this thing. I have medium size wrists and this thing looks big on me.
- Crown size/position can cause me to activate the indiglo if I flex my wrist just right.
- Initially a little uncomfortable to wear, getting better with break-in.