4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant watch, packs a puch
Published 17 months ago by Peter

1.0 out of 5 stars Darn thing was coming apart when I got It, ...
Darn thing was coming apart when I got It, I can't use It. The other timex I bought won't keep the proper date. What happen to, " What happen to takes a licking and keeps on ticking " ?
Published 12 days ago by Sherman Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant watch, packs a puch, February 10, 2013
This review is from: Timex Men's T49905 Expedition Rugged Field Chronograph Black Dial Brown Leather Strap Watch (Watch)
This excellent watch is surprisingly feature- packed; even more so than the product description lets on! The truglo is not strictly- speaking glow in the dark: it is actually a backlight which can be activated at any time (for whoever didn't know). It still gives an epic blue glow that you'd want, and it can also be held down to automatically activate whenever you use the chronograph or adjust the watch! On top of all this, the chronograph also has a 'split' function, allowing you to pause the s timer then continue again. This is awesome if you take a mid- bread during running or something and don't want to include it in your lap time. This watch has been engineered excellently. Timex haven't let us down in terms of hand accuracy and articulation of time. Even the small second- hand dial at 6:00 points directly at each individual second marker without any lag or inaccuracy that I can see. The same goes for the chronometer; the 1/20 of a second timer doesn't spin, per say; it actually 'ticks' between each fraction of a second. You will NEVER get decimal readings or unreadable portions of time. Every 20th of a second is clearly articulated, making it an incredibly satisfying tool for breaking PBs.
Finally, I come down to appearance. As you can see in the picture, the watch face is quite busy. However, the colour scheme is perfect, and helps to make it look less intimidating and off- putting. When it comes down to it, this is a beautiful watch, with the black casing and gorgeous leather strap. Both the functionality and appearance of this watch could suit adventuring, sports and casual dress events, although the brown tones of it make it perfect for an outdoors situation.
All in all, this watch is packed with intelligent and well- engineered features which are as practical as they are accurate. I absolutely love this watch, it suits me. The question you have to ask yourself is "does its appearance suit me too?"

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely awesome watch with a few small issues., December 27, 2013
The good:

-I really like the design of this watch. it's got a very appealing retro 1930s/40s look to it, which is exactly why i wanted it. The Chronograph hand is unobtrusive and i actually like that it's not solid orange. The color scheme and layout are perfect, and the high contrast of yellow against brown makes it very readable even in low light. In most reviews i wind up talking about how the picture doesn't do the watch justice. This isn't the case here. I think that the design/colors of this watch lend themselves to being accurately photographed, because every picture i've ever seen of this watch looks exactly like the actual product. So if you like the way this watch looks as pictured, then rest assured that you'll be pleased with it when you get it.

-The infamous Timex "ticks so loud you can hear it across the room at night" issue is completely absent from this watch. It's very quiet.

-It keeps excellent time. I set it to the U.S. atomic clock about a week ago and it hasn't lost a second.

-The PVD coating seems well done and looks good.

-The backlight is bright without being obnoxious. Bright enough to see the time, but not so bright that it unnecessarily drains the battery.

The not so great (but not really all that bad):

-It has a tachymeter on the inner bezel. Yay. Tachymeters look nice but nobody really ever uses them. (i'm sure SOME people do, but i've never met any of them in my life.) A telemeter would have been more useful, or even better, 13-24 hour markers (since this is clearly a military style "field watch"). Oh well.

-In fact, there are no hour markers of any kind, but if you're someone who prefers analog watches you really shouldn't need them.

-The lume on the hands is terrible. I do like that even the chronograph dial hands are lumed, but I timed it from a full charge, (Yes, i have finally gone THAT crazy.) and it went from bright to unreadable in less than 10 minutes. Not a big deal for me because I generally don't care too much about lume on watches, and I care even LESS in this case because the watch has a great backlight. (Complaining about the lume on a watch with a backlight kind of feels like complaining about the oars that came with your speedboat.)

-The chronograph hand on mine is (slightly) misaligned, resting halfway between 59 and 60. Adjusting it one tick forward makes it come to rest on 1. It doesn't bother me though, as i timed this watch with another chronograph and the chrono keeps perfect time, which is all i care about. But if minor aesthetic imperfections irk you, know that many of the product photos i've seen of this model elsewhere have very slightly misaligned chronograph hands.

-The backlight is activated by pushing the crown. Sometimes if you flex your hand the wrong way you can activate this by accident. It's already happened a couple of times that i've been doing something and looked down to see that the backlight is on due to the position of my hand/wrist. This may or may not be a problem for overall battery life in the long run.

[EDIT 6/14/14: I've taken to loosening it by one hole from where I originally had it. It still sits well, is very comfortable, and doing this eliminates the problem completely.]

-Chronograph only measures up to 30 minutes. Not a big deal since there's a constantly running hour hand on the watch, and if you remember where the hour hand was when you started the chrono, you should be able to reasonably work out how many 30 min cycles it's gone through already.

-Others have commented on the quality/durability of the leather strap, particularly about the thinness of the material connecting the strap to the spring bars and possible tearing after a few weeks. I can't speak to this yet, since i haven't had the watch that long, but I'll come back in a month or so and let you know how it's holding up.

[EDIT 6/14/14: Still holding strong, although I don't wear this every single day, nor do I use it as an "outdoors watch". I'd suggest a NATO band for that anyway. This watch would probably look spectacular on one of those.]

A final word on price... I've kept an eye on this watch on Amazon for the last couple of months, and let me say that the price has been absolutely ridiculous at certain points. This watch retails at Walmart for about $60, because that's what it's worth. At one point it was going for at least 3 TIMES that here, which is messed up. Don't get suckered by out of control automated pricing programs, or people who think that having the only 2 or 3 of something in stock on Amazon gives them free license to rip you off. just wait for it to come down, or go order it on Walmart.com for $60. (Sorry sellers, but there's supply/demand, and then there's just being a jerk.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great looking watch but..., July 17, 2013
...the chronograph second and upper sub-faces lose their ability to rest on zero but you can re-align them using these instructions for fossil watches ([...] To realign the chrono-minute hand, pull the winder out one click and push the (can't remember now) top or bottom button. That was a nice surprise (to find a solution).

I also replaced the band with a slightly wider nylon/velcro band. Just looks better that way although I really wish the original band was wider.

Again, great looking watch but you get what you pay for.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT WATCH, fits perfect in my collection, quality build, January 16, 2013
this is a great looking watch, definitely built well and sturdy. the Indiglo illumination on the back is perfect for low or even no light conditions, no need to hope the glow in the dark is 'charged.'

the band is super soft and comfortable leather and is great. you can tell that this was a good quality build and is worth every penny. if this watch looks cool to you, buy it, the quality is superb and the price is very affordable. And above all, its a Timex so you know it is going to last you forever.
and it is silent, no annoying tick-tock

1.0 out of 5 stars Darn thing was coming apart when I got It, ..., July 11, 2014
Sherman Jones (Washington, DC, US) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Watch, March 13, 2014
This is a great watch. It's thicker than you might think. You will know you are wearing a watch when it's on.

Two quirks that aren't game breakers:

1. What you would normally consider the second hand on the clock is actually the second hand for the chronograph. The small second hand at the 6 o'clock position is the clocks second hand. I was about to take it back thinking it was broken before I realized this. Just a different layout.

2. When in zero light situations and using the indiglo feature you can't see the date. Aside from not being able to see the date the indilo works great.

-edit- Only other quirk I see is the chronograph doesn't do hours so you have to keep an eye on it if you are tracking hours and even then it stops automatically after 4 hours.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work...AVOID!, March 7, 2014
This wonderful looking watch is NOT the Timex we all know and love...it doesn't work. On returning it you will not receive what you paid because they are still going to charge you the shipping on their busted product. Quality control? AVOID THIS PRODUCT or roll the dice...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch!, March 14, 2013
I bought this watch as a daily wear alternative to my Police chronograph, and it's just what the doctor ordered! I have owned it for about 2 weeks now and have no complains. Its simple, sleek and does well for evening wear as well. The indiglo option is great plus! I definitely recommend this watch if you are looking for something that is casual, rugged and at the same time stylish.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, not so great band, April 8, 2013
I really enjoy this watch, and I liked the band that came with it. It really pulled the look together. However, the loop at the end connecting it to the watch itself is made from the thin, outer skin of the band and ripped within the first two weeks. I've replaced it with a black nylon band and it still looks alright. I was worried the tan markings would really need a leather band to look right.

As far as the watch function, it's pretty sweet. The 1/10th of a second hand doesn't move during use, but once you stop the chronograph you can see that it "ticks" for each 1/20th of a second. Also, I'm wearing it on my right hand and haven't had any problems working the watch or noticed it digging into my arm. Be careful when/who you buy this from though, I've noticed a huge range of prices for this watch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bought and returned within the hour, March 1, 2014
I bought this model at Walmart for $60. I thought I tested it out fairly well. All the buttons seemed to work properly, it was an attractive watch, so I bought it.
I've had high end watches from Omega down to plenty of other Timex watches. I wasn't expecting high quality but I was expecting a watch that works as described. I took it out to my truck after purchase and took it out to adjust and put on. I followed the instructions and was still not able to get the chrono hands to reset to zero. Yes, I've done this a number of times before on other watches so I'm aware of how it's done. Nothing. I thought I better try other features; put the crown in the correct position and pushed in so as to get the indiglo to work.... nothing. I covered it completely in darkness and tried again, nothing. I read the directions because maybe something had changed since I had my last Timex.... nothing. I went no further. Back in the box and back into Walmart I went.
Bought and returned all within less than an hour. Never again. Timex has lost a customer.

Rate and Discover Movies