Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Timex T49928 Mens Expedition Digital Compass Watch
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 30, 2013
1/8/16 Latest Update to posts below:
The small loop that holds the excess band in place broke today. The watch isn't that old. I think after having it for a period of time I'm done with it.
Here are a few reasons:
1. The watch is very thick and won't allow me to wear long sleeve dress shirts over it. It is a nuisance.
2. The alarm isn't that loud.
3. The compass isn't that accurate and always needs adjusting.
I'll probably end up with another Ironman, but more like the original series. This one looked nice but didn't function that well.

7/29/14 Update to my previous review below:
As I've now had this watch for a time, I've noticed that the alarm is about 1/3 the loudness as an Ironman Triathlon's. I compare the two because the loud alarms that I've had on my Ironmans have been a real selling point for me. This Expedition watch has a weak alarm, but may also be part of the philosophy of this watch. It might be aimed at military types, who wouldn't want to unintentionally give up a position while in combat. Also, I've found the compass to be inaccurate, which is the second reason I bought this watch. I wouldn't use it for any type of serious navigation.

I'm replacing again, another Timex Ironman Triathlon with this new Expedition. I've continued to purchase the Ironman Triathlons for the last 25 years because they're just awesome! Those of you who have been through watches, know why the Ironman rocks. You love the interface and the loud alarm that the Ironman offers. Well, this one functions almost the same. It won't take but one time to figure out the functions because they are so similar to the Ironman.
One thing I have to get used to is the unimpressive view of the numbers. They are not as well lit up as an Ironman, probably because of the philosophy of use of this product, which might be aimed at those who are in the military who don't want a well lit watch to expose their position. Also, the watch displayed by Amazon showed green numbers, but actually they appear green only at a certain angle from the side. Otherwise they usually appear kind of grayish in color.
Secondly, the watch is a SHOCK style watch, so it is thicker. I wear a lot of dress shirts, and this thick guy won't allow my shirt to go over it very well.
I did hear complaints about the wrist band, but so far I'm liking mine.
I calibrated the compass and found it to work nicely. Which is the reason I decided to stray away from the Ironman series.
All in all, I think I'm hooked on this watch. It just looks nice too.
on July 11, 2014
My husband loves this watch. He is a Department of Public Safety officer and needs a watch that's waterproof and heavy duty. This watch definitely meets and exceeds those expectations. He even prefers it over his fancy designer watch.
on October 22, 2013
This watch is the exact copy of the Timex t49612 except for a color change to black and grey and it is perfect because it looks better than the green (i.m.o.) because you can tone down that clashing o.d. green color and wear it with any outfit from t-shirt and jeans to church and other formal occasions without it standing out like a sore thumb. For a full review of this watch and the green one just click on "my reviews" and prepare to quit spending your hard earned money on overpriced and under equipped g-shocks.
on May 27, 2014
I bought this watch as a budget replacement for a casio pathfinder I lost while on a trip.

I've had this watch now for more than 6 months and used it on numerous outdoor trips. The compass is pretty accurate but you need to re-calibrate it often, but since calibration is very easy, it's a very minor point. The wristband is made out of a very sturdy and durable plastic/rubber. I've pulled on it almost everyday as I put the the watch on and theres no sign of wear or fatigue. I've sweat on it, swam with it, dropped it, had sand and dirt on it but I can say it is very durable and can take the abuse.

I took out a star because the watch looks a little bit toyish and not as cool-looking as the casio pathfinder I used to own. However, this is a purely aesthetic opinion and, all in all, I highly recommend it if you need a durable everyday watch.
on February 23, 2015
Absolutely the best watch I've ever owned. Sturdy for daily wear into military operations, fancy and large enough for formal dinners. Amazing, amazing amazing. Way more versatile than the green model.
on July 23, 2014
Was so excited to give this to my guy. He loved it and just 3 days into wearing it the part on the side that you push to light it up fell off.
on August 1, 2015
works as it is supposed to.
on December 25, 2013
I received an Expedition shock for x-mas and am having issues with adjusting declination values. The watch only allows up or down adjustments with the two right side buttons that range from 0 to -90 west with the botttom right button and 0 to 90 degrees east with the top right button. I have tried multiple variations of depressing all four buttons and read two types of instruction manuals to try and get the value I need which is 13w or thirteen degrees west. None of my variations on commands with the alternate pressing of buttons yields a result of advancing to positive degree values on the west scale. Problem two is where is the compass bubble and moveable bezel that is shown in the directions. This model does not have those features--the instructions are not representative of the product--So, THEY ARE INNACURATE!. I will be following up on Amazon.com and REI with my customer service experience. For now, I will manually adjust for declination. I am dissapointed that you took the missing features away, made the bezel fixed and took away the north south west east markings from the bezel. The band is super stiff and is proprietary to the watch. In plain English--you is stuck with it bud! The alarm is very low and illumination dim--military consideration for sure. My overall position is--things a piece of crap.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse