Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Color: Black|Change

on October 5, 2013
I bought this watch to replace a Timex T49851, which I had purchased for the vibrating alarm. That original watch was not as robust as hoped, and after a year of travel, outdoor activities and rough treatment at the gym, it was no longer working the right way all the time.

After a month with this new watch, the T499059J EXPEDITION SHOCK, it is much, *much* more durable than the other Timex alternative.

There are three alarm options, which is nice. The vibrating function is about the same effect as the older T49851, but with the bigger watch face it is more effective in waking me up.

As to the other reviewer who noted that it is not a G-Shock, this is, in fact, correct. It is not a G-Shock, nor does it have the property of magically becoming one after it is ordered.
33 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2014
bought it for my buddy, he is more then happy:
PROS:
- big digits, he can finally see his watch without glasses, especially during the driving when he is driving without glasses
- tough
- date format in Euro style (date first, month after)
- simple screen with only the need to have info (time and date)
CONS:
he would like to have it all in black but with positive screen, while the all black version comes with negative screen only.

Picture attached compares it to my Timex that better fits my smaller arm.
on April 20, 2015
Really enjoy this watch Ive worn it nearly 24/7 since owning it only complaint is there is a little rubber around the glass that can get dirt trapped underneath and is hard to clean out... Other than that I really like this watch. It isn't quite as big as I expected but I also am very big person so maybe it's just by comparison it seems small

**update** only a couple hours after giving this a 5 star review it sorta broke on me.. Like I mentioned earlier the rubber 'band' around the face of the watch (the 6 fake screws and where is says shock and expedition) came nearly all the way off leaving it hanging and. Taking away from how the watch looks.. I will attempting to get a new watch as I love it but I simply can't wear it anymore because this rubber piece hanging off will drive me nuts
on November 3, 2014
I bought the watch of timex T499509J before three months.
but watch's pixel was broken. this mean is Digital watch's font was broken.
so it display like 8:74. it's true time is 8:34.
it was very disappoint me...and Timex Brand disappoint me..
review image review image review image
on October 16, 2013
This watch has 3 standard alarms which can be configured for daily, weekly, or weekends as well as an occasion alarm. The combination of vibe and chime is nice because you may not always feel the vibration in certain environments. Likewise you may not hear the chime in others. The quality is good and the mineral face will likely hold up for a long tome. Another feature that I really appreciate is the small latch which locks the excess wrist strap in place. A nice touch by Timex. The biggest fault of this watch and thus the 4 stars is the readability of the negative display is not on par with other Timex negative displays and is hard to read in semi or low light conditions. I often have to hit the side placed light button in the evening or in low light conditions. Most other Timex digital displays are number one in my book fir readability but this one is one of their worst.
on May 30, 2014
There are those who complain that this watch is too big. There are those who complain that it has a reverse display which makes the watch hard to read. The picture is there on Amazon. The specs are there. The watch case is 50 mm in diameter. It IS that big. And yet some buy this watch knowing it and return it making these complaints. Go figure.

I gave this watch 5 stars because it IS exactly as pictured and described and works like a dream. In fact, the watch looks even better and operates even smoother than I imagined. I love the vibration alarm. And also, you can hide the functions so you don't have to cycle through all of them. I hide the hydro function and two of the alarms (for now). It's a cool watch. People DO notice what kind of watch you're wearing and I HAVE gotten some interested looks at it.

To be honest, when I first got this watch and put it on my wrist, I hated it. I thought,It was too big. It's not me. People are gonna look at me strangely as if to say "Really?" After three days, it grew on me and I liked it. It's a beast. I think Timex is trying to get some of the G-Shock market. This watch is definitely not a G-shock but it IS comparable. The watch is an Expedition and is very rugged-very durable. It is too bulky to fit under a cuff of a dress shirt. It would look good outside at a picnic, barbecue or in the gym--some place social. I don't wear it all the time but I like its novelty, the reverse display, the green numerals and the smooth operation.

Nuff said.
on June 15, 2015
I love the Timex Ironman watches...been wearing them for 25 years and probably had 15 different models. Recently, I have been looking for a bigger, rugged looking watch, which the Ironman is not. I looked at the Casio G-Shock which only had a small area of the face dedicated to the time. Then I stumbled into the Expedition series, which I always thought were camping watches (cloth bands, very basic, etc). The size, ruggedness and tactile look immediately caught my eye. But I was a little scared of the negative display because of my experience with a negative display Ironman I had many years ago. It was extremely difficult to read in sunlight...you had to view it at 90 degree angle, so I exchanged it for a traditional display a couple days later. Maybe the technology is better or maybe it is the larger display, but this watch is very easy to read in the sunlight, even at different angles. In fact the negative display make it look more tactile and easily the best looking casual watch I have ever owned. It is the first digital watch I have ever received complements on. It does everything the Ironman does and more...in fact, this really could be an Ironman. My only complaint is the vibrating alarm is not strong enough to wake you, but it is easily noticeable when you are awake, even when active. Overall, I still give it a 10.
on March 25, 2014
Ok, this watch is not as big as others have stated, its a little bigger then my 5.11 watch and the strap is not as wide. its not a heavy watch, but dose have enough weight to let you know its not all plastic. I like the size of the face its clear to read and the alarm options are nice. the flashing indiglo and beep alert is nice, and then for stealth you can have just vibrate. I would class the vibration alert as medium to low, and could be hard to detect if you are out and about, but for around office and home you will feel it. I would have liked the band to be wider but it works and the notch to hold the band on at the end with the secure loop is nice. overall for 40 - 45 $ this watch is a good buy. this watch has 3 alarm set times and occasion alarm time as well, it also has a nice timer, countdown timer and chrono with lap timer. it has a preset Hydration count down timer of 15min that can be changed. the color is a deep green, and that is nice, it is darker green then shown in pic.
on February 19, 2014
It's a good looking, well fitting watch. I was worried it'd be a little too large on my wrist but it's not. I don't know why there are so many complaints about the green numbers not looking clear. They look clear to me. The vibrating alert is quiet and effective. It has 3 alarms, 3 time zones, stop watch, timmer, the famous indiglo light, and water resistant to 200m. It performs the way you'd want a timex to perform.
on June 6, 2014
Purchased this for my husband. He is happy with the face. It is very easy to read. We were looking for a watch that was "extra long" but we got extra large. My husband is about 6'2" and big boned. He has a very difficult time finding a watch that will go around his wrist. This one does but it has to be in the very last notch. Doesn't leave much to tuck under to hold it flat. Overall happy with it but sure wish they made longer bands.