Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Timex Men's T499509J "Expedition Shock XL" Resin Watch
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on October 5, 2013
I bought this watch to replace a Timex T49851, which I had purchased for the vibrating alarm. That original watch was not as robust as hoped, and after a year of travel, outdoor activities and rough treatment at the gym, it was no longer working the right way all the time.

After a month with this new watch, the T499059J EXPEDITION SHOCK, it is much, *much* more durable than the other Timex alternative.

There are three alarm options, which is nice. The vibrating function is about the same effect as the older T49851, but with the bigger watch face it is more effective in waking me up.

As to the other reviewer who noted that it is not a G-Shock, this is, in fact, correct. It is not a G-Shock, nor does it have the property of magically becoming one after it is ordered.
33 comments|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2015
Really enjoy this watch Ive worn it nearly 24/7 since owning it only complaint is there is a little rubber around the glass that can get dirt trapped underneath and is hard to clean out... Other than that I really like this watch. It isn't quite as big as I expected but I also am very big person so maybe it's just by comparison it seems small

**update** only a couple hours after giving this a 5 star review it sorta broke on me.. Like I mentioned earlier the rubber 'band' around the face of the watch (the 6 fake screws and where is says shock and expedition) came nearly all the way off leaving it hanging and. Taking away from how the watch looks.. I will attempting to get a new watch as I love it but I simply can't wear it anymore because this rubber piece hanging off will drive me nuts
review image
on November 3, 2014
I bought the watch of timex T499509J before three months.
but watch's pixel was broken. this mean is Digital watch's font was broken.
so it display like 8:74. it's true time is 8:34.
it was very disappoint me...and Timex Brand disappoint me..
review image review image review image
on October 16, 2013
This watch has 3 standard alarms which can be configured for daily, weekly, or weekends as well as an occasion alarm. The combination of vibe and chime is nice because you may not always feel the vibration in certain environments. Likewise you may not hear the chime in others. The quality is good and the mineral face will likely hold up for a long tome. Another feature that I really appreciate is the small latch which locks the excess wrist strap in place. A nice touch by Timex. The biggest fault of this watch and thus the 4 stars is the readability of the negative display is not on par with other Timex negative displays and is hard to read in semi or low light conditions. I often have to hit the side placed light button in the evening or in low light conditions. Most other Timex digital displays are number one in my book fir readability but this one is one of their worst.
on May 30, 2014
There are those who complain that this watch is too big. There are those who complain that it has a reverse display which makes the watch hard to read. The picture is there on Amazon. The specs are there. The watch case is 50 mm in diameter. It IS that big. And yet some buy this watch knowing it and return it making these complaints. Go figure.

I gave this watch 5 stars because it IS exactly as pictured and described and works like a dream. In fact, the watch looks even better and operates even smoother than I imagined. I love the vibration alarm. And also, you can hide the functions so you don't have to cycle through all of them. I hide the hydro function and two of the alarms (for now). It's a cool watch. People DO notice what kind of watch you're wearing and I HAVE gotten some interested looks at it.

To be honest, when I first got this watch and put it on my wrist, I hated it. I thought,It was too big. It's not me. People are gonna look at me strangely as if to say "Really?" After three days, it grew on me and I liked it. It's a beast. I think Timex is trying to get some of the G-Shock market. This watch is definitely not a G-shock but it IS comparable. The watch is an Expedition and is very rugged-very durable. It is too bulky to fit under a cuff of a dress shirt. It would look good outside at a picnic, barbecue or in the gym--some place social. I don't wear it all the time but I like its novelty, the reverse display, the green numerals and the smooth operation.

Nuff said.
on June 15, 2015
I love the Timex Ironman watches...been wearing them for 25 years and probably had 15 different models. Recently, I have been looking for a bigger, rugged looking watch, which the Ironman is not. I looked at the Casio G-Shock which only had a small area of the face dedicated to the time. Then I stumbled into the Expedition series, which I always thought were camping watches (cloth bands, very basic, etc). The size, ruggedness and tactile look immediately caught my eye. But I was a little scared of the negative display because of my experience with a negative display Ironman I had many years ago. It was extremely difficult to read in sunlight...you had to view it at 90 degree angle, so I exchanged it for a traditional display a couple days later. Maybe the technology is better or maybe it is the larger display, but this watch is very easy to read in the sunlight, even at different angles. In fact the negative display make it look more tactile and easily the best looking casual watch I have ever owned. It is the first digital watch I have ever received complements on. It does everything the Ironman does and more...in fact, this really could be an Ironman. My only complaint is the vibrating alarm is not strong enough to wake you, but it is easily noticeable when you are awake, even when active. Overall, I still give it a 10.
review image
on February 19, 2014
It's a good looking, well fitting watch. I was worried it'd be a little too large on my wrist but it's not. I don't know why there are so many complaints about the green numbers not looking clear. They look clear to me. The vibrating alert is quiet and effective. It has 3 alarms, 3 time zones, stop watch, timmer, the famous indiglo light, and water resistant to 200m. It performs the way you'd want a timex to perform.
on December 27, 2013
Only gets 4 stars because watch band needs to be longer. Otherwise this watch was an excellent deal. Delivered promptly. Countdown timer is very useful and vibrating alarm is very cool and wakes me up right in time. Highly recommend this watch.
on March 17, 2015
This is a nice rugged watch.
I was looking for something that had a big display that was easy to read while doing outdoor activities. I am not disappointed here.

I was worried about it being too big and bulky, but it is not.

The band is comfortable as other reviewers have mentioned.

The green LCD on black is unique but can be difficult to see in low light. The indiglo is required at night. There is a night mode to make any button turn on the indiglo, but it's easy enough to press the main button.

If you don't like the green on black you can opt for this version: http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T499519J-Expedition-Shock-Vibrating/dp/B00D3DTGWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426614604&sr=8-1&keywords=T499519J

The chrono will take lap/split times but you cannot toggle through them to review your times. I deducted 1 star for lacking this feature. It does have the ability for reminders of birthdays, anniversaries, monthly and yearly bills, etc. I find this feature redundant to my cell phone and wish they had put the effort into the ability to review laps.
on January 6, 2016
I'm giving this product three stars because the face & numbers are difficult to see and the vibration function is weaker than I had hoped. Even in a brightly lit room the time and date numbers are a bit difficult to read. I really wanted to like the watch as it looks sharp, fits well, and I've had good luck with previous Timex products I've owned and still own. I just couldn't get past the difficulty reading the inverse display.

The vibration function works as described. Despite what a previous reviewer has said you CAN set it to vibe only without the chime. My intention for this watch was to use it as a silent alarm clock in the morning so I don't wake up my wife. I'm unsure of whether the vibration will be strong enough to accomplish that goal. The vibe is there...you can feel it...but it's less intense than my iPhone.

Ultimately, I sent this product back and I've ordered the same watch with a normal display (not inverse) and a green band. This one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D3DTGWY. We'll see how that one works out.