Most helpful positive review
43 of 44 people found the following review helpful
A Worthy Heir in a Long Line of Timex Field Watches
on August 30, 2014
This is by far my favorite of the current Expedition line. I think Timex does the basic quartz field watch very well and this one is just dripping in vintage character.
1. Look at the dial—white arabics with inner 24 hour arabics on a black background. Clean, timeless, easy to read.
2. Look at how nicely they integrated the date window into the 24 hour ring. They could have just slapped a white date wheel under there, but with the choice of black, the dial is so beautifully balanced. The date is instantly available if you want it, but otherwise if just disappears.
3. At 40mm the case isn't exactly vintage proportions, but it doesn't look unusually large on my 6.5 inch wrist. Believe me--I am hyper sensitive to oversized watches. This watch looks really nice on the wrist, and I think it would work well for most wrists.
4. The large crown really adds to the vintage vibe.
5. The strap is fine. I bought the tan version because I didn't want the yellow seconds hand of the olive strapped version. While the tan strap is comfortable, the color doesn't look good on me (according to my better half). No worries. At 20mm, the world is your oyster. A quick change to an olive zulu band solved my problems. I really think buying the tan strap version is the way to go just for the white seconds hand. I think the olive strapped version has a grey finish to the case as opposed to the brushed stainless look of the tan strap version. You may like that look. I think it's cool, but I'll gladly give it up to lose that yellow seconds hand.
6. Ticking volume has been fine. I briefly owned a Weekender that ticked very loudly. This one is much quieter. Not as quiet as my nicer quartzes, but I hardly notice it ticking on my wrist. It seems to get louder when it take it off and out it on a table.
7. Lume on the hands is decent, but I haven't tested the duration yet. But with Indiglo, I guess I don't care.
Highly recommended if you like field watches. It's very classic looking. I looked down at my wrist the other day and thought, "Man, that looks good. Some designer at Timex really has a passion for classic field watches." And then I thought, "Oh, yeah, what time is it?" (You have to be a bit of a watch nut to relate to that one.)