on April 28, 2008
I bought the Timex 5E931 Ironman from Amazon about a month ago, after researching several Timex and Casio watches. So far, I've been very pleased with it.

I've previously had two Casio G-Shock watches which were indeed indestructible (except for the black plastic bits around the face, and the little loop for the band). My main problem with the G-Shocks was their thickness which would cause them to catch when putting on a shirt or jacket.

This Timex is much more attractive and comfortable to wear. The contrasting dark blue and silver colors and reasonable size give it a classy look. And it feels much lighter on my wrist. The large display is very easy to read. My only minor cosmetic complaint is the tiny orange "M" on the face which seems a little goofy (but I think all Ironman watches have something like that).

I've been impressed with the accuracy of the watch which only gains about a second per week (about four times better than my Casios). I use the stopwatch feature for timing a variety of things at work and at home.

For $[...] at Amazon (with free shipping) it's a great bargain.
on January 28, 2011
Verified Purchase
I like this watch so much that I've bought my third model (having lost the two previous watches). I like the styling and the features; which have gotten slightly better than the earliest model. The watch has intuitive functions/buttons...maybe because I'm so used to it by now, but I am sure that I've never read the instructions. I am an avid runner and swimmer and its features suits me very well. The Indiglo lighting is attractive and comes in handy for my early morning runs or when I get caught in the evening. The 30 lap memory is sufficient for what I do, and I can view/recall the previous laps even while timing the current lap. It now has a feature where you can set a reminder for an occasion/reminder; monthly, annually, etc. The only thing I could say that I might want to improve is the color of the wrist band--maybe if it were the same blue as the face. One new thing I find having both a good purpose and a little bothersome at the same time is a new "hook" or protrusion under the wrist band keeper. It hooks into an opening almost to the tip of the wrist band. The nice thing is it keeps the tip from coming out during physical activity, but it also makes it slightly difficult to slip the tip back when I'm taking the watch off. Anyway, I can live with it because I really like the price, the look, and the features. I highly recommend this product. It seems the wrist band is made in China, and the watch itself is made in the Philippines.
on August 28, 2012
Verified Purchase
I bought this watch almost four years ago as I needed a lightweight, durable watch to an african safari. I'll admit that I bought this one because it was the cheapest base model I could find that didn't contain a variety of features I didn't want or need. If that's the case, I think you'll be quite pleased:

Band comfort - this watch is very comfortable to wear in a variety of conditions. It never got cumbersome after hours of wear. If you want something more substantial than the fitted rubber, you might check out Timex's variety of replacement bands here: Timex Men's Q7B799 Resin Ironman Triathlon 30 Lap 16mm Replacement Watchband.

Display - Very easy to read.

Buttons - Big and easy to locate.

Durability of face, bezel - In this watch I actually wanted cheaper. I didn't want to always worry if I scratched this or that part. But it's been no worry as both the face and bezel have shown no scratches. All the text is an inlaid inscription, so it won't rub off.

Indiglo - Works great at night. This iteration of watches illuminates the digits themselves, as opposed to the entire background, which can be gentler on the eyes at night.

Battery life - Amazingly I've had this watch for four years and it shows no signs of slowing up. Much like my last Ironman did.

intuitiveness of use - this is the only part of the watch that I found as needs improvement. I'm not a big manual reader, so maybe it's my fault, but I like to jump in to a product, and I still haven't figured out what things are for. When you press the Start button, it changes the second-hand sweeper to the words T2 and T3 for a few seconds, before going back to the time. Holding Start changes this to T1 and T3 - I don't know what this is for the life of me. Secondly, pressing start among different cycles of the chronogram doesn't restart the timer, but displays different multiples of the same lap time. I don't know what good that is. "Occasion" mode asks for a month and date, but I don't know what the purpose of it is. It doesn't currently beep to remind me of anything?

Overall, the pros far outweigh the cons. If you just need a simple watch that's durable, keeps your time and maybe the occasional jogging mile time, this is money well spent.
on May 25, 2011
Verified Purchase
I recently received this watch in exchange for a much too large 200m model, which was too big for my wrist. I've owned Ironman watches over the years, and this one appears to be a good one pending my testing in the water. I recently bought my fiancee a women's Ironman for her running and swimming workouts and got the "itch" to try another one for myself.

I own a G-Shock 200m watch and have had great results with it. The big difference, though, is bulk. For medium-sized guys like me, the greater water resistance Casios are simply too heavy and bulky for my admittedly smaller wrist. And since I don't plan on joining the Navy Seals anytime soon (I'm 54) 100 meters is about enough for swimming and snorkeling.

Operation is easy, one of the hallmarks of the Ironman. I particularly liked the new ability to easily "hide" unwanted functions (in my case, "occasions" and two of the three alarms). Plus, the display is larger than earlier generations, which is a godsend for my age-deteriorated vision. The new Indiglo operation (illumination of the numerals only, not the whole face) probably will result in a longer battery life as well.

My favorite aspect of this watch (as with other Ironmans (Ironmen?;) is the weight. These are rugged watches that are as lightweight as a dress watch, which comes in handy when running, cycling, swimming, etc. I'm looking forward to putting this watch through its paces. As always, Amazon's customer service was quick and efficient, too!
on May 1, 2010
Verified Purchase
It's a fine watch, but don't rely too much on the "water resistant" label. I've had similar Timex watches that had no trouble with leakage from being worn while swimming or kayaking. But as chance would have it, I got one that leaked (badly) from being worn in the water. (No button pushes under water or any other action that would have increased chance of leakage; it just leaked.)

Too late to return to Amazon, and Timex warranty coverage for this sort of thing isn't clear. (Besides, shipping both ways would probably come up to half the cost of replacing with a new watch.)

Too bad, it's otherwise a watch with a great feature set, maintains accuracy reasonably well, etc.
on August 21, 2011
Verified Purchase
I bought this watch and on day two brought it to the pool where I waded in to my waist. The watch filled up with water and ruined the crystals. Spend money at a store or somewhere else, because this watch is bogus and not resistant to water at all!!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 17, 2009
Verified Purchase
This watch is good for those who want to do High Intensity Interval Training. The count down timer is very useful and the watch is easy to operate.
on July 27, 2010
Verified Purchase
I hadn't worn a watch for several years. I purchased this one with the idea of using it to time my walks, hikes and bike rides for cardio purposes. I've found, however, that I am wearing it on a more regular basis and it's been what I've wanted and then some.

The watch is made well, the functions that I have used have been excellent and nothing seems to be bad with it. The build seems solid. I've dinged it several times and nothing has happened to the watch.

Everything is easy to use when it's on your wrist. Though I'm still learning all the functions and what button does what, I've found that it's easy to get back to square one if you need to start over.

I'd highly recommend this watch to others who are looking for an all-purpose watch to do several things.
on October 28, 2010
I bought this watch at Target a few years ago. It's what I expected from Timex Ironman watches... not a lot of frills but runs and does what you ask it to for years and years. I tried using the Flix feature but it's easier just to press the Indiglo button than shaking your wrist. I like how you can turn off the features you don't use so you don't have to cycle through them while changing the Mode. I've spent plenty of time in the water (pool and river) training for triathlons and it's on my wrist now, ticking away.
My only complaint is that it is a little small on my wrist, but maybe that's a good thing for other people. Also, I picked it out and tried it on... Good watch though.
on July 11, 2013
Verified Purchase
I have had this watch for about one month now and absolutely love it. I bought it as a "spare" for weekend use in particular. My wife bought me a gold Citizens Eco-Drive watch that I have worn for the past 4 years on a daily basis. However, it was becoming a bit uncomfortable to wear this as I develop eczema on my wrist in the winter. This watch is very comfortable (I love the band) and just nice enough to wear to work with a suit. I didn't realize how much time it takes me to read the time on my Citizens watch until I bought this one. Lately I have found myself wearing this $32 watch more than my $132 Citizens watch!

See 1 answered question