5.0 out of 5 stars Continually Improving
Over the years I've owned several generations of Timex Ironman watches, along with other competitor's sports watches. This is the best so far and it is a pleasure to see that Timex is constantly refining and improving the Ironman brand in small and very useful ways. Small but extremely useful improvements over the last Ironman watch I owned include:

- The Flix...
Published on April 11, 2007 by Sugi Sorensen

3.0 out of 5 stars Description is false, no FLIX feature present
To all who are looking for the FLIX feature:
(Auto light by wrist movement)

Published on August 5, 2009 by Jason

5.0 out of 5 stars Continually Improving, April 11, 2007
Sugi Sorensen (La Canada, CA USA) - See all my reviews

- The Flix feature. This is very useful at night when you only have one hand available. Just activate the night mode, flick your wrist and the watch face illuminates for a few seconds.

- When you press the Indiglo button, the face stays lit for a few seconds instead of only as long as you hold the button. Subtle change but big help.

- When you press the Set button in any mode, helpful flashing icons appear which let you know which of the five buttons does what function (e.g. "+" to advance a number.) This pretty much eliminates ever needing to refer to the instruction manual.

- The wristband curves where it interfaces with the watch for a better fit around your wrist.

- The plastic loop which secures the un-notched portion of the band to the other half of the band has a notch which fits into a special hole in the free end of the band. This keeps the loose portion of the band secure around your wrist so that it never snags.

The continual evolution in features, rock solid reliability, and excellent value for price will keep me a loyal Ironman user in the future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Description is false, no FLIX feature present, August 5, 2009
To all who are looking for the FLIX feature:
(Auto light by wrist movement)

this watch does not have the FLIX feature reguardless of what the desciption says. I am now returning and ordering a different model. I am more unhappy with Amazon than the watch because they have not returned an email or phone call about this matter, and currently the watch description remains false. After furthure research I have found out how to tell the difference.

#1 - All timex FLIX watches have "FLIX" on the wristban, notice amazon's picture does not.

#2 - search for the Product Code: T5H591 on the Timex Website and you will find this model is not a FLIX.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, Options, and Ease of Use Make this a Great Watch, May 23, 2008
I have purchased many Timex watches over the years and I am entirely satisfied with this watch. I always buy the sports watch, as I swim and do triathlons.

Things I like about the watch:

*Setting the watch is easy and the instructions are clear (although the printed instructions are very small!)

* The watch is not too big. So many watches have too many features and they are large, bulky, and heavy. This watch is sleek, has a low profile, and has a size that is ideal for average needs.

* The numbers are big enough to see easily at a glance.

* There are enough useful options, and this watch is not overloaded with too many options. Too many options are confusing to me. I like the simplicity of this watch and the ease of use of the options it has.

* I like the plastic watch band. I have tried the velcro strap bands and they wear out after a year or so of use. The plastic band will eventually break, but is fairly easy to replace.

* I like the price. At less than 35 dollars I have everything I need in a watch.

* I like and use frequently the Indiglo feature. I have even used Indiglo to find my way to the bathroom at night from bed! The light on the dial is bright enough to make your way through the dark for a short trip!

Things I don't like:

There is not much I don't like about this Timex watch. I suppose my biggest complaint about this watch and any Timex watch is the difficulty in changing the battery. The battery will eventually need replacement, and of course one has to take off the back of the watch to replace the battery. This is tricky and takes a steady hand. I wish Timex would make the battery more accessible so changing the battery would be as easy as sliding one in or out of a hinged door (like on a hearing aid).

Obviously, there is much more to like about this watch than not like. I do recommend it for a good sport watch. It will withstand chlorine pools, lake water, rainfall, high and low temperatures, but be careful not to scratch the dial window! I scratched the main window crystal and ruined my last watch. Avoid spraying any kind of bug repellant on the window as well, as this can mar (dull) the surface.

For me, this watch meets all my needs and I give it a 5-star rating. My needs are faily simple. There are certainly other watches that offer more features, but to me, the added features add complexity and are not worth the added bother.

The price is good. The watch is good quality. This is a good buy.

Jim "Konedog" Koenig

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic running watch, January 28, 2008
I am a runner, and after my last watch ran out of juice I hit the market again. This watch looked nice and offered some valuable features, and I've had an Ironman in the past and loved it. I've had this watch now for a couple weeks and I'm lovin' it, too! It's got some great features (splits timing, a timer, an occasions reminder, and three alarms), and the watch itself tells you how to use the features, so that you don't have to go back to the manual every time you want to try one of the features. The "flix" feature is cool... haven't really needed to use it much, but it's nice to have for those times you might need it. All in all I'm very happy with the watch. Best running watch I've had so far, especially for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, band could be much better, October 10, 2007
I liked the velco strap of my previous model better. This rubber strap just flops around when I run and it's just waiting to break like my old Nike one. When will i learn?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, July 6, 2007
I've owned one digital Timex before and I loved it. I'm in sales and went with one of the more expensive "fancy" watches, but missed the practical features of a digital sports watch. I decided to go back to a digital watch and chose Timex again and am very satisfied with this product. Very comfortable and easy to use. I have two kids so having 3 alarms keeps me on track throughout the day to make sure I get home in time. Alarms can also be set for weekdays, weekends, or daily. The indiglo feature is great. Overall this is a very practical and good looking watch. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a digital watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watches always outlast the bands, September 8, 2008
Has more features than previous models, such as 3 time zones. I love the watch for working outdoors and for travel. Also keeps me up to date on day of week and date. Great for timing my food on the grill.

This is my 4th in a series of these and the battery always outlasts the resin band - its only weekpoint- (lasts about 2 years if worn daily). I also bought one of these Timex ironman watches with a fabric band at Walmart ($30), and they suggested that they could replace my watchband with one designed for this watch, from Timex. I did, for $11.00. The band replacement took them 30 minutes though - even with all the right tools. Not a job to do yourself.

I now have the repaired watch, the new one with more features from Amazon and a new one with not all the new features but with a fabric band. I change them daily - and I have several other "good" watches which do not see much use, except for weddings ! Stay in the $30 -34 range at Amazon and you have a real bargan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good multifunction lap swimming watch, February 14, 2008
Stef Maruch (San Francisco Bay Area, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this watch 15 months ago and I've worn it daily and used it for lap swimming weekly. It has worked flawlessly. I frequently use the countdown timer, the 3 alarms, and the chrono (laps) feature. The features are relatively easy to use although sometimes I can't remember which button does what.

Another reviewer said the watch buttons shouldn't be pressed underwater, but I do that while lap swimming and the watch has given me no trouble.

A few days ago, the rubber retainer clip that notched into the wristband broke off. Yesterday, the wristband broke off at the point where it was buckled. Since the wristband is an integral part of the watch, this renders the watch unwearable. I guess 15 months of daily use out of a watch that cost less than $35 isn't too shabby but I'm a bit frustrated that now I have this otherwise perfectly good watch I can't wear any more.

Update, September 09: I bought a replacement for this watch in February 08. The strap just broke in the same place. So this time it lasted 18 months. Someone commented on my review that you can replace the watch strap but I couldn't find any replacement on the timex web site.

4.0 out of 5 stars Its just a watch, July 23, 2014
I have owned a number of Timex Ironman watches in my lifetime and this is just as solid as any of the others. A truly time tested design. Its very feature-full and I like the sporty aesthetic of it. Its an anti-Rolex; inexpensive and simple.

This is the first "large" Ironman I've owned and I think I actually prefer the smaller ones. The larger display is nice, but it seems like Timex just scaled up the small one without thinking about the design that much. I am not a big guy, but this watch makes me feel TINY. I have to put the strap in the second hole (there are 7 additional holes passed mine!). If I put the strap in the second to last hole it will fit around my ankle! Is there really someone out there with an almost 3 in. diameter wrist?

5.0 out of 5 stars timex ironman, October 16, 2009
Shipping time on this watch was very good.I buy and sell quite a few watches from inexpensive up to 400-500 and this has been one of my favorites.The display is much clearer than the older ironman watches.The band is very comfortable but I'm not sure how durable it will be.I usually wear g shocks which I believe are probably able to take more abuse but this ironman is so comfortable and much lighter on the wrist.All and all for 30$ a nice buy