5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeds Expectations
I purchased this watch to replace an older Polar heart rate monitor with dead batteries in the chest strap and the monitor. The design of that product required me to send both units in for replacement by a Polar service center. The cost was nearly as much as the cost of this timex heart rate monitor.

I am so pleased with this product. The instructon manual...
Published on February 6, 2008 by Chuck

3.0 out of 5 stars Battery Hungry
1. The product does everything that it claims to do.
2. The watch looks nice enough to wear all the time as your main watch.

3. The strap that needs to be used to send your heart beats is comfortable.
4. You can learn the HRM quickly if you fool around with it a little bit. If you are a computer nerd, you will learn it in less that one hour.
5...
Published on August 30, 2008 by Kambiz1

‹ Previous | 1 2 331 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Bought in Apr10. Stopped working in Oct10, November 2, 2010
This review is from: Timex T5J031 Unisex Digital Fitness Heart Rate Monitor Watch (Sports)
I bought this watch in April 2010. I was every happy with this product. It helped me train for the 2010 Chicago Triathlon. But it intermittently stopped reading my heart rate in Oct 2010. I changed the battery and it work for a little while and now it stops reading my heart rate in the middle of training. That is extremely frustrate, since I'm doing zone training and using the avg. HR, Total calorie burn and recovery time to track my performance. Before October I would have given it 5 star but it did not even outlive it's warranty. I'm sending it back to Timex (that will cost me another $8 check to Timex plus postage to ship it to them). If I can I will provide an update to this review in 2-4week.

5.0 out of 5 stars BETTER THAN EXPECTED FOR THE PRICE, August 31, 2009
Bill (Wind Lake, WI) - See all my reviews
I recently purchased the Timex T5J031 heart rate monitor from Amazon.com to replace a Polar unit that cost twice as much as the T5J031. In every respect the T5J031 is as good as or better than the Polar unit that I had for 2 years. The T5J031 records your minimum heart rate, maximum heart rate, your average heart rate, the time spent in your predetermined training zone, calories burned, and also your recovery heart rate taken 2 minutes after ending your excercise session. Another great function is the ability to easily change the digital display on the watch to one of 7 different display combinations. The heart sensor strap is very soft and comfortable and easily adjusts to different lengths. I have a 48" chest and the heart sensor unit fits with no problem. All-in-all I couldn't be more satisfied with this unit especially for the price. Also, the buying process through Amazon.com was excellent as usual, with delivery at my house 6 days after ordering it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good HRM, January 23, 2010
I am a 69-year old male with some medical issues. I am attentive to fitness and work out for two hours 4 or 5 times a week. I was not happy with the erratic pulse readings on the LifeFitness machines at my gym and started to look for a wearable heart rate monitor (HRM). After research, I narrowed it down to the Timex T5J031 Unisex Digital HRM and a much more expensive Polar RS 100. The Polar was my first choice (its sending unit works directly with the LifeFitness stationary bicycles at my gym) but for my purposes it cost more than I could justify for what I needed. Price and reputation of the Timex company drove me to the Timex. I read the reviews - particularly the negative reviews - and it was hard to reconcile the highly favorable reviews with the very negative ones. I decided to take a chance with the Timex TfJ031. I have been using it for a couple of weeks and it has worked flawlessly. I like that I can have the time of day running while the HRM is active and showing my pulse rate. I found that locating the sender strap just below the nipples is very important for the HRM to work correctly. I find it helps to wet my skin and the sensor portions of the sender strap with wet fingers before putting the strap on. You can tell if the watch is receiving pulse signals by the pulsing heart symbol on the watch face when the watch is in any of the HRM modes. I like the fact that one of the HRM modes is a flat line that displays programmable target minimum and maximum heart rates. I set the watch for 60% of maximum heart rate (MHR) on the low side and 80% on the high side. Heart rate then shows on a scale set with these maximum and minimum heart rates (MHR = 220 minus age). I can see visually as heart rate increases from 60% to 80% of MHR as I increase level of effort on the stationary bicycle or weight machines; and then I can see heart rate recovery as level of effort is decreased or during rest. This unit also has watch (time of day, date, and year) and chrono features that are easy to use and handy to have. This is a great watch and HRM and I recommend it to anyone looking for a combination watch and HRM.

1.0 out of 5 stars water damage after first swim, June 3, 2008
This watch is not water-proof at all. The first time I went swimming water leaked inside and now the display is not readable. I swim laps, no diving - I'm very disappointed with this product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not an accurate calorie counter, May 18, 2012
J. White (Las Vegas, NV) - See all my reviews
I purchased this watch/HRM to actively monitor my heart rate while working out, and to get a calorie burn estimate. Since I typically ride a bike or play racket sports, rather than use gym equipment, an external HRM was a must. While the heart monitor works great, and allows me to track my heart rate, and work within specific target zones, the calorie calculation is way off. The only variable you are able to account for is weight. There's no way to change height, sex, VO2Max, or age. Without these features you cannot get an accurate calorie burn estimate, and I believe, the formula Timex uses accounts for far too many calories being burned. I typically use an online calculator(s) with my heart rate average to get an accurate reading of my calorie expenditure. Unfortunately, that is the main reason I bought this combo, and it doesn't do that, therefore I cannot recommend this HRM/watch combo.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, August 23, 2010
Nice HRM. I bought it to replace an old Polar that lacked the functions I wanted in an HRM. It is well made, accurate, and user friendly. The chest strap is comfortable but on the smallish side. I wear it just below my chest at around 38" (43" chest) with the strap at it's max length but not tight. Nice watch with easy to use buttons and very good display. No problems with interference when around other HRM users. I've been using it for about three months.

Pro's:
- HRM is accurate and responsive
- Max/avg/min BPM tracked
- Auto and manual zones
- Time in zone
- Many display modes
- Water resistant so far
- Nice chrono and timer

Con's:
- Time in zone only for selected zone. Either you're in or you're not.
- Calorie counter completely useless. None of them are accurate so why bother?
- Somewhat short chest strap. Could be a problem for larger users.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Product with Lousy Instructions, December 3, 2010
P. Cavanaugh (Shaver Lake Calif) - See all my reviews
I purchased the Timex fitness watch based on positive reviews. It looked like just what I wanted to upgrade from a lesser value fitness watch. When it arrived I programed it and made sure the battery was in the chest strap and then tried to make it work. I was quite surprised when I could not get a heart beat icon on the watch. I pushed the right button and adjusted the strap---still nothing.

I then started reading the instruction booklets and they did not help in any way. The booklets seem to be focused on fitness theory and workout max and min. There was no clear instructions on how to get the watch to work. No troubleshooting.

I'm very familiar with fitness watches as I have used them for more than 10 years. I would rate this watch as a do not buy. I sent it back to Amazon for a refund.

1.0 out of 5 stars This product did not work for me., February 7, 2010
I was so excited to order this watch, however it did not work at all for me! I could not even get the heart rate monitor to work for over a few seconds. And, yes, I did wet the parts on the strap that help it work. I even went out and bought a new battery right away and it still did not work.

However, I did send it back, got my money back and ordered a Polar watch and I LOVE it and it worked right away!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but quite good., September 18, 2009
L. C. Scanlon (Connecticut, USA) - See all my reviews
With just a few seemingly minor improvements, this HRM would be really excellent.

Strengths:
-- includes most of the functions that all but the most fanatical exerciser would probably need (or want.)
-- With quite a few display options, most people will find a display that suits them. For example, you can display the elapsed time large with the heart rate small, or the heart rate large with the elapsed time small. Plus there are numerous additional options and switching among them on the fly is pretty easy.
-- The watch has picked up the signal from the chest band without any problem at all.
-- I've used the device daily for two months, one hour per day, and am still on the original battery, so battery life seems ok.

Weaknesses:
-- The chest band could be a little longer. My chest is 46 and it's slightly too snug on me.
-- The instructions were written for when the watch is brand new and has never been used. Some of the functions don't work as described when the HRM has been functioning. Can be frustrating.
-- As far as I can tell, the calorie calculation bears little relation to reality. However, it does seem to be a good relative measurement of the intensity of a workout compared to other workouts. I cover the exact same hilly route each day. In theory, the calories expended should be roughly the same each time, but the more quickly I traverse the route, the higher the calorie count -- sometimes by a lot.
-- Their suggested method of determining maximum heart rate is questionable. Nowhere else have I read that max heart doesn't change with age. They provide some exercises to undertake to determine your max rate, but the final calculation requires that you multiply by a number based upon your assessment of your current fitness level. Way too subjective. Wikipedia has a good discussion of the various methods of determining max heart rate that is far more reliable, in my estimation.
-- The biggest shortcoming from my perspective is that it keeps track of the cumulative time in only one heart-rate zone. That's fine if your goal is to reach a target zone and stay within it, but I do a lot of interval training, so I'd like to how much time I spent in EACH zone.

Overall, this HRM is an excellent value and with a few improvements would be an excellent device, as well

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, August 18, 2008
I had purchased a strapless heart monitor just a week or so before I bought this one. It was almost useless in monitoring my heart rate, however, since it seemed to rarely give readings when asked. So I decided to upgrade to this Timex. I am so glad I did. Since my first monitor was not that helpful, I was immediately happy with this new one. I can enter specific information about my body (weight, age, resting heart rate, maximum heart rate) easily, and because it has that information, it can come up with accurate readings of how many calories I burn. Plus, it seems to stand up well to daily use. I recommend this product to anyone who is serious about exercising and monitoring their heart rate.

‹ Previous | 1 2 331 | Next ›