on August 18, 2008
I had purchased a strapless heart monitor just a week or so before I bought this one. It was almost useless in monitoring my heart rate, however, since it seemed to rarely give readings when asked. So I decided to upgrade to this Timex. I am so glad I did. Since my first monitor was not that helpful, I was immediately happy with this new one. I can enter specific information about my body (weight, age, resting heart rate, maximum heart rate) easily, and because it has that information, it can come up with accurate readings of how many calories I burn. Plus, it seems to stand up well to daily use. I recommend this product to anyone who is serious about exercising and monitoring their heart rate.
on July 5, 2008
I was worried that this watch was going to be a little too small for a guy but it was just right.I think it would also be ok for a girl who is not too fussy. I have a friend who has a Polar F6 and the menus for the Timex are a little more complicated but nothing that can't be mastered with time. This was my first HRM watch and I love knowing my heart rate during intense workouts at the gym and during running events. It also monitors lots of other things such as calories burned, which I find useful.The chest strap is comfortable and the replaceable battery is a plus. No need to send unit back for battery replacement. Comes with a very detailed manual. Overall an excellent product.
on June 14, 2008
Pros:
It does everything I think that it should do. and it looks like a normal enough watch that you could use it anytime you wanted a less formal watch.

Cons:
I like to see where I am in the zone sometimes as well as my time, and sometimes I want to see my heart rate and my time, but you have to press the button like 5 times to switch between them. this is kind of annoying, but they clearly can't fit all that information on the screen without making it huge and I like that you can see any combination of 2 pieces of information.

I think that it is great, but I have never used a HRM before, and have nothing to compare it too, but I would recommend it to anyone who was looking to get one.
on July 9, 2008
I can tell that since I purchased this heart rate monitor watch my workouts have been more strenuous because I anxiously await the end of them to see how many calories I burned and how long I was in the zone. Speaking of zones, I am not sure why, but if I work out in Zone 2 one day then Zone 5 the next, I get two completely different calorie burn readings. My heart rate chart says that I should max out at 175, but that's high for someone like me to reach who has a resting heart rate of 53-59, so I keep it in Zone 2, which is for calorie/fat burn. I think the calories burned that it shows for that zone are realistic.

The only other thing is that the watch is small, so it's kind of hard sometimes to click one side of the watch to set something without pushing the opposing button at the same time. You have to rest your thumb on the side of the watch to push the button on the side, but when you do so you press another button. I have learned how to gingerly push the buttons.
on October 11, 2009
I would give this HRM 5 stars except that the chest strap is rather short. I have a 40 inch chest and had to make the strap as long as possible in order to fit. I got this watch to replace a Sigma Easy Onyx as that watch fogged up after rinsing it under the faucet despite claims that it is waterproof. However, the chest strap on that HRM was much longer, I think I took it in about half way for a proper fit. So if you have a large chest I doubt the Timex will fit. The watch features themselves are straightforward. I actually prefer the layout and functions better than the Sigma once I adjusted to the change.
on October 17, 2011
I've been looking around for the best watch / heart rate monitor for under $120. I didn't want to buy an "ok" one and have to spend even more money to get what I'm looking for. The features I was looking for was mainly the ability to track how many calories I burned during my workouts. Well, this watch had WAY more than I expected.

Perfect for anyone doing a program such as P90X.

Pros:
* Has standard watch features (time, timer, date, alarm, backlight, etc).
* Tracks your heart rate (updates every 5 seconds) and how many calories you burned during your workout.
* Able to press the front button for laps / time split (very good if you run laps or HIIT intervals).
* Can review your lap times, calories, average heart rate, max heart rate, and calories burned in each lap.
* Recovery mode will count down from a set amount of time to let you know when you're done resting and ready to start working again.
* Personal settings for target heart rate (with pre-programmed zones such as 60-70% of max heart rate), Heart rate or max heart rate % (ex: 136 vs 60%), max heart rate, and weight for accurate calories burned.
* Multiple views for heart rate (time & heart rate, heart rate & bar to show if you're in your target heart rate, etc).
* Replaceable battery.

Cons:
* Chest strap has trouble tracking your heart rate unless you're either sweating, or your rub some water / gel on your chest. Before I start working out, I always pour some water onto my hands and rub it where the strap is. Usually only takes a minute or two to start tracking after that.
* The watch's strap is rubber and tends to pull on my arm hair which can be annoying at times.

This also has a replaceable battery in the watch / chest strap. I was looking at a Polar monitor until I learned that you cannot replace the battery, and having them replace it for you is quite expensive. Overall, I am extremely pleased with this purchase and definitely a deal. It could easily go for $200+. If my current one ended up breaking, I'd most likely just buy this same one again.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 4, 2011
I have always liked Timex products. The Ironman brand is well respected and easy to use. The heart rate monitor technology used in these watches has much to be desired, however. I have never gotten a consistent heart rate on this watch. I have gone through 3 different chest straps, which Timex replaced no questions asked, and countless batteries. I have used ultrasound gel on the chest strap as well for better conduction... still no consistent HR. I love the functionality of the watch but the HR is frustrating. I went with this brand originally because you can replace the battery yourself. Polar has since come out with a few models with that feature. I finally switched over to a Polar and no problems whatsoever. Sorry Timex, I love the watch but the HRM stinks.
on November 13, 2007
I found this model to be extremely easy to use and comfortable to wear. I never take it off my wrist. When I'm not exercising, and don't need the heart rate monitor feature, it's a great fully functional sport watch. I highly recommend this model for anyone looking for an easy to use heart rate monitor.
on March 25, 2011
Prior to purchasing this monitor, I used a Polar HRM for the last 8 years - primarily in spinning class and sometimes when cycling outdoors. The Polar worked fine, but every time the battery died I had to send the monitor and the strap back to Polar for replacement. The last time I did this, the replacement/repair cost was about as much as the cost of a new monitor and I was without a monitor for 3 weeks. At that point, I decided that the next time I needed a new battery I would buy a monitor that let me replace the battery myself. When my Polar battery died in January, I did some research and purchased the Timex T5J031.

PROS:
1. User replaceable battery (although Timex recommends having this done by a watch repairer).
2. Display is easy to read with different formats (heart rate only, heart rate and elapsed time, etc.).
3. For each lap, keeps track of time, average/maximum/minimum heart rate, time in zone and calories burned.
4. Detects heartbeat immediately (the Polar HRM took about 10 seconds and sometimes failed to detect the heartbeat).
5. Has a stable heartbeat (sometimes the Polar HRM would jump to a ridicuously high number for no reason).
6. Can't be accidently reset (this often happened with the Polar HRM and I would loose all of the data).
7. Has a button to turn on an indigo light so that you can see your heart rate in the dark (useful in spin class when the lights are out).
8. Comes with a good booklet that talks about training with the monitor and using different heart rate zones to accomplish your goals. The book also explains how to calculate your maximum heart rate (instead of using the 220 minus your age formula, which is just a rule of thumb and is not accurate for many people).

CONS:
1. Buttons/functions are a little tricky to learn (but I think that all HRMs are like this).
2. Strap may not be long enough for some people.
3. Calories burned are much greater than with the Polar HRM. I'm not sure if they're accurate (but I use them just as a general guide anyway).

CONCLUSION: I been using the Timex T5J031 for 3 months now and I'm completely satisfied.

JANUARY, 2012 UPDATE:
The monitor stopped working in December, 2011. After replacing the transmitter battery, it worked for about a month and then stopped working again. Replaced the battery again and still does not work. I changed my rating from 5 stars to 1 star. Someone mentioned to me that Polar monitors now have user replaceable batteries, so I'm going to try Polar again.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 8, 2010
As a watch this Timex T5J031 is great - but trying to use for heart rate monitor - horriable. The chest belt stopped collecting data in less than a month - not sure if it's battery or what - but hate this watch. Had to order another without chest belt. I read the reviews but did not listen to the low rated reviewers (should have).