Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Timex Men's T5K495 Ironman Traditional 50-Lap Sport Watch
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on June 21, 2012
Needing a watch that has a lap timer and interval timer, I was very pleased when my wife bought this for me for Fathers Day. First off, I am mid forties, training for my first ever marathon and Ironman, so there a few features that are really helpful for me:

1. The comfort - This is not a big bulky watch like a G-Force or other timepiece that will feel like you are carrying a weight on your wrist. I hardly notice it on my wrist at all, and that is very important to me so that when I run, swim or cycle, it isn't a distraction or requiring 'getting used to'.
2. The display is large - My eyes are getting older and having a clear, crisp, large display is needed. I can glance down and see the timers without having to strain or put the watch up to my face to see.
3. Lap Timers - This feature is great for long runs, and key to marathons. At 50 laps, you can keep this watch going without having to hit reset but once an hour or longer depending on your pace.
4. Interval Timer - This is by far the best feature for me on this timepiece. You can set up interval timers and the watch will countdown and signal when one has been reached. So for example, if you are going to do a run/walk interval race, you can set one for 12 minutes, the next for 1 minute, then repeat and the watch will alarm at each interval, moving to the next until it comes to a 'zero' set. My marathon running training is 12 minutes run, 1 minute walk. This watch does the counting for me, and by using this feature as well as the Lap Timer, I feel I am well informed as to my pace so I can maintain consistency.

There are other features of the watch I have yet to use, but so far, it has met all of my expectations from a quality Timex product.
on December 7, 2011
I have bought these ironman watches for my husband twice, I have to say the watch itself works great as described. However, the rubber band is easily broken and not easy to find the right replacement. This is why I have to buy a new one for him. He really like the watch because it's easy to use, light, and comfortable as my husband said. And of course the price is affordable.. Great deal
on February 12, 2014
I've owned several Ironman watches over the past 25 years, and the T5K495 is by far the best for visibility. Let's face it, if you can't read the numbers on a watch, what good is it?

Although the size of this watch is no larger than my two previous Ironman watches, the large clear display on the T5K495 is great! The numbers are so huge that I can actually read the time and date without having to put on reading glasses (if your eyes aren't there yet young ones, just wait...). Having such a large display also makes it easier to read the watch while you're moving around and working out (even if you don't need reading glasses).

I also love the Indiglo setting on this watch much better than previous versions. The background stays unlit and only the numbers light up, which is much easier to read in the dark.

Please, Timex, I hope this model is available for many many years.

(UPDATE) I agree with the complaints by others about the Ironman logo on top of the display (and I'm downgrading my rating to 4 stars). Timex should've put the logo someplace else. If it really bugs people as much as it did me, then get rid of the logo. Here's what I did, and it worked great:

- remove the straps
- remove the back of the case by removing the 4 screws.
- lift up on the interior of the watch to remove the "guts", so you'll have the interior of the crystal exposed.
- wrap an old t-shirt or similar rag around the end of a pencil eraser.
- apply a small bit of toothpaste to the rag, and rub on the interior of the crystal right on the logo.
- you'll have to use some elbow grease, but within 5 to 10 minutes, the logo will be gone.
- wet the rag and use it to rinse and wipe out the toothpaste (repeat until the toothpaste is gone).
- dry thoroughly using a dry part of the rag.
- reassemble the watch.
- NO MORE LOGO ON THE CRYSTAL!!!
on December 21, 2011
I had a Casio previously and as I started needing reading glasses, it became almost impossible to glance at my watch and get the time w/o reading glasses. There are easy reader watches available but all are analog watches nothing digital (at least I did not find any). The ones which had big face and BOLD letters are special watches (heart rate monitoring and GPS etc..) like Polar RCX5... costs $350, totally out of range for me. This watch is cheap and has a big dial and large digits so that I can now see the time w/o the need for taking my reading glasses out. there are other models of Ironman but they are smaller, this one is big. I do not need any other feature of the watch, nor I am a swimmer. Just needed big display. I wish the digits were slightly bold. they are large but thin, just enough for me read...but wish they were bolder.
on February 2, 2014
Not much to say other than it's been working great. I've had a lot of this type of Ironman watches and this one has a few improvements that I really like. Just small things like how long it beeps on the interval timer.
For example, the previous watch would beep for 10 seconds on the second interval. But if your intervals were 10 seconds, that got confusing and annoying. Plus a few other small improvements.
The buttons are also smoother.
on October 31, 2013
Slim design, will not get caught on long sleeves and has a HUGE display. I would give it a 5 if the display lit up better. Only the numbers light up when the Indiglo button is pushed. The light colored display with black numbers work great in the daytime, but the lighted numbers at night are dim and hard to see. I would recommend and purchase this model again.
on February 11, 2014
This is my second purchase. I broke the strap of the 1st watch and could not get a replacement band. The dials are large and easily visible when I use it to referee Rugby matches. I decided that aside from the issue of the replacement strap, I was very satisfied with the features of the watch especially the countdown timer with an alarm which has a repeat feature that allows me to reset for the 2nd half of any match without any fuss. Other that that, the watch is fairly accurate with time keeping and as I said before, the large display allows me to just glance at it to see date and time.

NOTE to Timex and Amazon: Do not state that a replacement strap is for a particular watch when it is not. I wish you would state the correct straps for these watches because they do fail through wear and tear.
on February 8, 2013
This watch has been great for me. Tennessee crosses time zones, so when we go to the east, I love that I can hit a button and instantly be on eastern time. The alarms are nice, as well as the countdown timers. I'm sure there are other features that I don't use. Overall, this is a great watch from Timex.
on December 6, 2013
I've had a couple of Timex Ironman watches with the "Black Resin Strap". My only complaint is the band disintegrates quickly if exposed to sunscreen. After a single exposure to sunscreen and sweat, you have a few weeks before it breaks. This happened at least twice. I'm going to buy another (for the reasons given in other reviews like big numbers, reliable alarm, familiarity, etc.) and try to remember my lesson. I have another Ironman with leather band, maybe wear that on sunny days.
on February 11, 2014
Not sure what to say, as it is a watch and seems to do what it says it will do.
Looks nice, however lays on my wrist slightly off - so it rotates on its own. (Through my natural movements.) Could be that I have a weird shaped wrist. I swapped the band orientation and that helped a little.

My biggest complaint and why it did not get 5 starts is the "IRONMAN" logo on the top of the crystal. Why does this bother me you ask? Well, depending on the ambient light - a shadow gets created which then blocks the ability to see some of the date display. Drives me nuts - although I do have OCD. :)