on June 21, 2012
Needing a watch that has a lap timer and interval timer, I was very pleased when my wife bought this for me for Fathers Day. First off, I am mid forties, training for my first ever marathon and Ironman, so there a few features that are really helpful for me:

1. The comfort - This is not a big bulky watch like a G-Force or other timepiece that will feel like you are carrying a weight on your wrist. I hardly notice it on my wrist at all, and that is very important to me so that when I run, swim or cycle, it isn't a distraction or requiring 'getting used to'.
2. The display is large - My eyes are getting older and having a clear, crisp, large display is needed. I can glance down and see the timers without having to strain or put the watch up to my face to see.
3. Lap Timers - This feature is great for long runs, and key to marathons. At 50 laps, you can keep this watch going without having to hit reset but once an hour or longer depending on your pace.
4. Interval Timer - This is by far the best feature for me on this timepiece. You can set up interval timers and the watch will countdown and signal when one has been reached. So for example, if you are going to do a run/walk interval race, you can set one for 12 minutes, the next for 1 minute, then repeat and the watch will alarm at each interval, moving to the next until it comes to a 'zero' set. My marathon running training is 12 minutes run, 1 minute walk. This watch does the counting for me, and by using this feature as well as the Lap Timer, I feel I am well informed as to my pace so I can maintain consistency.

There are other features of the watch I have yet to use, but so far, it has met all of my expectations from a quality Timex product.
on December 8, 2011
I have bought these ironman watches for my husband twice, I have to say the watch itself works great as described. However, the rubber band is easily broken and not easy to find the right replacement. This is why I have to buy a new one for him. He really like the watch because it's easy to use, light, and comfortable as my husband said. And of course the price is affordable.. Great deal
on February 12, 2014
I've owned several Ironman watches over the past 25 years, and the T5K495 is by far the best for visibility. Let's face it, if you can't read the numbers on a watch, what good is it?

Although the size of this watch is no larger than my two previous Ironman watches, the large clear display on the T5K495 is great! The numbers are so huge that I can actually read the time and date without having to put on reading glasses (if your eyes aren't there yet young ones, just wait...). Having such a large display also makes it easier to read the watch while you're moving around and working out (even if you don't need reading glasses).

I also love the Indiglo setting on this watch much better than previous versions. The background stays unlit and only the numbers light up, which is much easier to read in the dark.

Please, Timex, I hope this model is available for many many years.

(UPDATE) I agree with the complaints by others about the Ironman logo on top of the display (and I'm downgrading my rating to 4 stars). Timex should've put the logo someplace else. If it really bugs people as much as it did me, then get rid of the logo. Here's what I did, and it worked great:

- remove the straps
- remove the back of the case by removing the 4 screws.
- lift up on the interior of the watch to remove the "guts", so you'll have the interior of the crystal exposed.
- wrap an old t-shirt or similar rag around the end of a pencil eraser.
- apply a small bit of toothpaste to the rag, and rub on the interior of the crystal right on the logo.
- you'll have to use some elbow grease, but within 5 to 10 minutes, the logo will be gone.
- wet the rag and use it to rinse and wipe out the toothpaste (repeat until the toothpaste is gone).
- dry thoroughly using a dry part of the rag.
- reassemble the watch.
- NO MORE LOGO ON THE CRYSTAL!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 14, 2014
My first Ironman was purchased in 1993 and lasted nearly 20 years, finally falling apart in 2012 - simply amazing durability. So, it was an easy choice to replace my old Ironman with a new one (I actually purchased 2 of these). Sadly, both of my new Ironman watches lasted less than a year. The first time I got into the water with my first new one, it leaked (at around 2 meters depth), and burned out. The very next day, I entered the water with my second new one and, indeed, it also leaked and burned out. I did not even bother to return them nor complain to Timex because it was not worth my time as I would never buy another Ironman again based on this experience. These new Ironman watches are junk in the first degree. If I could, I would have given these watches zero stars, because that is what they deserve.
on December 21, 2011
I had a Casio previously and as I started needing reading glasses, it became almost impossible to glance at my watch and get the time w/o reading glasses. There are easy reader watches available but all are analog watches nothing digital (at least I did not find any). The ones which had big face and BOLD letters are special watches (heart rate monitoring and GPS etc..) like Polar RCX5... costs $350, totally out of range for me. This watch is cheap and has a big dial and large digits so that I can now see the time w/o the need for taking my reading glasses out. there are other models of Ironman but they are smaller, this one is big. I do not need any other feature of the watch, nor I am a swimmer. Just needed big display. I wish the digits were slightly bold. they are large but thin, just enough for me read...but wish they were bolder.
on December 29, 2014
Timex makes it almost impossible for you to buy a replacement band for this model, probably to force you to buy a new watch.
I like Amazon very much, but I won't buy another Timex watch again, nor here nor anywhere else.
If you go to Timex website and click on REFUND you will read "We want you to love your Timex". Well, I guess it could be replaced by "We make you hate your useless bandless Timex".
Since 2013 the band is gone and I couldn't find another one, anywhere in any US website.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 31, 2014
I'm a senior not a sportsman so I picked this watch for the large numbers. Trying to set the time and date on my old Timex was frustrating. Setting the time-day-date works is much easier ion this new version.
on February 8, 2013
This watch has been great for me. Tennessee crosses time zones, so when we go to the east, I love that I can hit a button and instantly be on eastern time. The alarms are nice, as well as the countdown timers. I'm sure there are other features that I don't use. Overall, this is a great watch from Timex.
on March 18, 2012
Very good value and records 50 laps. Alarm works really well. Display is perfect size and easily readable even at night. Not crazy about Ironman logo on display crystal though. Excellent overall although buckle on strap does not seem like it will last as long as battery.
on September 18, 2014
I have been wearing a version of the Timex Ironman 50 or 100 lap watch for the past ten years or so, having settled into this model for the past five years or so. In that time I have had three or four of them.

Things l love about the watch. First and foremost, the numbers are large enough that I can read them without reading glasses (the big numbers, at least), an issue for us aging baby boomers. The second thing that I love about it is that you can save workouts. I work out almost every day and keep a training log, but sometimes go a week or more between entering workouts. This watch allows me to save each workout keeping the time, splits, and date. Very handy for someone like me who has been recording workouts this way for several decades. As far as I know this is the only one of the Ironman watches that still has that feature. I suspect that smartphone apps like MapMyRun and wearables like the Fit are diminishing demand for this feature.

I have read reviews complaining about the location of the Ironman logo on the crystal. That has not been an issue for me, and I would not even have thought about it before I read the reviews.

For me the limiting factor on the longevity of the watch is the little loop holds the tail of the strap. Eventually that part breaks off and I need to get a new watch. Each watch probably lasts me somewhere between one and two years. Yeah, I wish that little loop lasted longer, or that the band was replaceable, but the reality is that (a) these are consumable watches, not heirlooms, (b) the cost of replacing the band and the battery probably would end up being close to the cost of a new watch, and (c) if Timex redesigns this watch they may well take away features I like. Hence I will cough up the $50 every year or two as long as Timex keeps making this baby, or until something better comes along.